Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

X1's are ugly!

Reading reviews to begin my research on which car to buy, my biggest worry with X1's was that they were reportedly ugly, malpropotioned, etc etc. I didn't agree, I like the looks, but wondered if it might affect the resale of an X1. Well I reckon X1 owners might soon have the best looking BMW's by a long strech. Have you guys seen the face of the new 1 series? And the new M5 well it looks like an X1 at the front I'd say. How ugly are 3 and 5 series sedans? The 1M coupe's a very fine looking car, but it's just the tailend of a generation of decent looking 1ers and must have been an M division creation when they saw what BMW was doing to the 1ers.

Just stirring the pot of other BMW owners, but interested to know other's thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

I started reading people's opinions in forums AFTER I bought my X1 and I was very surprised to see many thought the X1 was ugly and not proportioned. Firstly I fell in love the first time I saw it in the dealer and bought it a week later, not even cared what people thought. Secondly all of my friends had never told me anything like that, they love it and love the BMW tag in it. And honestly I tried to see its ugly side with no success. Keep loving all of your X1's
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by empyrean View Post
I started reading people's opinions in forums AFTER I bought my X1 and I was very surprised to see many thought the X1 was ugly and not proportioned. Firstly I fell in love the first time I saw it in the dealer and bought it a week later, not even cared what people thought. Secondly all of my friends had never told me anything like that, they love it and love the BMW tag in it. And honestly I tried to see its ugly side with no success. Keep loving all of your X1's

+1000
      06-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

It's a funny thing, I don't think the X1 is very photogenic. From some angles it photographs well but less so from others. However.....in real life, or in the metal so to speak, it's very attractive to most I have shown it to. A few friends have changed their opinion entirely after I showed them mine.

But at the end of the day I don't really care what other people think of my choice...I like it, and it's mine bought and paid for.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I must say when I first saw the X1 concept in the press I thought it looked dull and dated. But upon actual release I changed my mind. I never thought I'd own one though! It's a well proportioned car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Lost in France
France
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 2.0d

Got to agree with the positives, it is a well proportioned, and when you drive it a well balanced car, turns a lot of heads (in a positive way)....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

The X1 is one of those cars which does which does look much better in the flesh. I've had nothing but positive comments on the style of both the exterior and interior.

Last edited by danintas; 06-15-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: mmm - typo
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
It's a funny thing, I don't think the X1 is very photogenic. From some angles it photographs well but less so from others. However.....in real life, or in the metal so to speak, it's very attractive to most I have shown it to. A few friends have changed their opinion entirely after I showed them mine.

But at the end of the day I don't really care what other people think of my choice...I like it, and it's mine bought and paid for.
I totally agree. At the end of the day when i drive my x1 I'm happy and that's what matters.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandazzo View Post
my wife is already worried as I get all the babes checking me out.. well probably checking the car out...
Ha,ha... the first friend (it was a female) I told I was getting an X1 responded with "oh they're really cute cars..."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

Actually at a certain point I became worried that many of my female friends loved the car, so is the X1 a chick-car? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by empyrean View Post
Actually at a certain point I became worried that many of my female friends loved the car, so is the X1 a chick-car? lol
It has become so in France. Very few X1s around, most of them driven by your average 40 year old fashion-conscious, professionally independant woman. At least that is the image they want to project.

The X1 is certainly sexy and cool, and allows one to look good and self-confident, and yet take the kids to Saturday games while dispensing with the soccer-mum image of any dull minivan.

I say :
      06-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Malproportioned? Oh, geez... Could they just think for a minute to not repeat the same phooey time after time? Malproportioned in what part?
Many men, many minds, they say.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
seamasters
seamasters
Australia
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 COMP , M4 Mineral White

people have to be blind to say that the X1 is ugly and malproportioned..

X1 is a beautiful car, click on the link below to find out. its got everything of the x-series all in a compact/sleek body what more can u ask.. if your thinking about buying the x1 i would say go for it..

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=1#post9828877

Last edited by seamasters; 06-20-2011 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0