XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

BMW CPO Service, advice, please

First, I'm really enjoying my X1. End of March 2015, I bought a 2013 X1 xDrive28i. My local BMW dealer had it as a CPO. I paid just over 95% of their asking price, and I had them install Dinan Stage 1 (at full price) before delivery. When I test drove the car, I told the sales rep it was pulling hard to the left and I told him one of the tires was low on air (on the same side it was pulling to). We sat down and negotiated the sale. I pointed out to him that there was damage to several wheels, and I also saw some damage on the front end - some scratches on the lower trim pieces.

So, to accommodate them, I took quick delivery of the car (last day of March). Right away, I could feel the car still pulling hard left - I emailed my sales rep, and he said he would let service know, and I could get it fixed then, or wait until I come in for oil change. I told him I would hold off until scheduled service.

Fast-forward a month: I'm tired of holding the wheel against the strong left pull; that tire that was low on my test drive, I've had to add air twice (roughly every 2 weeks); when taking a closer look at the damaged trim parts that they didn't fix (and I bought it anyway), I found that the under-panel is broken and a large section of the center portion of it is missing; final issue is the emergency brake is entirely ineffective.

So, 2 weeks ago I emailed my sales rep about the front end damage and asked that they consider fixing it at cost (I priced the 3 pieces online - a modest $250), but I can't crawl around under the car. I got no reply to my email.

2 days ago, I called the dealer to schedule service - I was told no one was available and was asked if they could call me - I never got a call back.

This morning, I used their web portal to try to schedule service, and in the comments section cited much of the above. The auto-response of the website said that they would contact me soon. Well, here we are, nearly 12 hours later, and no calls or emails.

I don't know what to make of it. Thoughts, please.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
The leaky tire - easy, plug it.
For the rest i hope you got something in writing.
If not you are bound to their honesty.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Mate you should never have taken delivery until it was all sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

"Bound by their honesty" - shouldn't I fully expect honesty from a BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Um, no.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ja Gio,

I've sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

It sounds to me like you bought a damaged car. Just how deep of a pothole or how high a curb would one have to hit to do that damage? The steering pull and the wheel damage should have been an indicator. No telling how much damage might be uncovered once they get into it. I hope not much.
Bypass the service and sales departments and drive to the dealership and speak directly to the service manager and sales manager at the same time. Report back the results.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. For right or for wrong, I'm going to give them a little more time to find their way to doing the right thing. Not a lot - a little.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

As a former BMW internal service advisor that car never should have gotten CPO with curbed rims or a "leaky tire", and the parking brake not holding is a SAFETY issue they should have addressed. This dealer sounds like its cutting corners for sake of selling a vehicle to make numbers. Dont go back to that dealer as far as sales go. The reason I left the business was because of places like that. If bmw was alerted to them doing something shady like that, they will have to fix it and take a chargeback on the vehicle. It will also have to be recertified at their expense. Its in the Center Operations Manual, which is like a big book advising on how to CPO a car. I advise you to contact BMW NOW vs later. Otherwise it could be considered your fault. It may already be too late but calling and being strong on the subject will help.
When you call BMW
1. Ask them how they could CPO a car with those problems.
2. Complain that the dealer has pushed it off AND sold it to you in that condition. Regardless that should have been fixed WAY before that car hit the sales line.
3. If all else fails escalate until you get someone higher. Wanting to talk to a supervisor will get you through.
If those steps fail let me know.
      05-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

PA, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:34 AM   #11
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

If you ever wondering what they are supposed to do....this is a tech checklist that should have been included with the car and also there is a copy that is supposed to be attached to the work order that they could make a copy of.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ification.aspx

Go to the pdf and view it. If anything fails in there eg tire tread below 3mm etc they have to correct it IMMEDIATELY before the car can be sold. Its not optional. If not the car CANNOT be CPO'd. However the dealership can correct SOME of these issues and sell the car. Eg: Tires are worn replaced with new units therefore vehicle may be sold.

So you fully understand how this process works, dealership purchases vehicles from auction, other dealers, lease trade ins (refered to as LTI on paperwork) or customer buybacks.

Once Purchased the sales department receives the vehicles from wherever they came from and measures paint to check for repainting to cover body
damage.

From their there is a tech that is paid usually 1.5-3 hours for a CPO inspection. All his responsibilities are for strictly CPO and they are paid to find work so they are usually well paid and extremely observant and report ANYTHING they can find wrong. They will also use paperwork provided from a service advisor including DCS history and a keyread to find any previous work or required maintenance for the vehicle.
If they find work (they always do) they go to the sales dept and sell the work. Sales looks at the cost of the vehicle vs what they can make with repairs and decided whether to continue CPO or repair the items on the list....or at least thats how its supposed to work. Most dealers repair about 3/4 of the work and decline some body stuff like minor scratches on lower portions etc. The other dealers do shady things like instead of replacing messed up rims they refinish them, or instead of replacing tires at 3mm they install tires with 4mm or tell the tech they made a mistake and they are 4mm. The tech then performs work fills out the paperwork, and BOOM the car is CPO'd.

The thing you should know about the sales department is they are about 1 thing. MONEY. Their bosses tell them to sell the car at all costs. Most of the time they are grimy as fuck which is why I buy new and never buy used. The one used 328 I bought (CPO'd) I had my own guys do and I wrote it up myself. They declined alot and wouldn't listen until I threaten to go to my boss which ironically I did anyways because it was horseshit. One of my worst car buying experiences in my life and it was AS AN EMPLOYEE.
They do not give a shit about anything else besides selling cars. I have worked at 4 different dealerships and its mostly been the same. I was lucky that 2 of the dealers I worked at were honest.

Morale of all this is: Be careful who you buy from, and the bigger the dealership the more inclined they will be to CPO the vehicle correctly. They are the ones with the most money to burn on vehicles. They don't make money if they come back and they know it.
      05-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #12
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Great insight, very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Did you take in consideration my suggestion? Because I have no answer from you... I wonder if my efforts were in vain...
Sometimes, even a "no thanks" shows appreciation at least for the support...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #14
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Tracus, I do apologize. Yes, I am considering your suggestions. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I'd rather spend a little more time working to get what I want through persistence, with a touch of diplomacy. Maybe I'm naive, but I should know soon - I have an appointment Tuesday. By the way, your X1 is beautiful - it looks showroom new.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Forgive me for saying this but you are naive. They sold you the car and sudenly you are not a priority for them. Why you will treat them with common sense?
Listen, if you want to succeed, please do as I say. All the things I wrote in there for you have legal connotations and a certain purpose. Try to keep my wording and the context.
I hate seeing people fooled and cheated or treated in this way.
If they see your soft side again, you will end up in sorrow.
Please listen to my advice and they will fix everything properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone know? If replacing only one tire is there a recommended maximum circumference variance from the other 3 tires? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #17
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

It depends on the rig. How many miles on the tires? If you are at 5k and need a replacement, no big deal.

If you are at 30k and need a replacement, might as well replace them all.

I don't think the driveline will mind too much about the slight differences in circumference overall.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #18
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

It took a few days, but in the end I got everything I wanted. They replaced the slow leaking tire, ordered a new under panel, and corrected the other issues. While there, they also did an oil and air filter change. I conducted myself as if I assumed all would be done at no cost to me, and it was. Throughout, I showed patience, understanding, and gratitude. Thanks to those who helped me refine my expectations.

I can't be sure of the mileage on the other three tires, but they must be fairly new as the difference between old and new does not appear substantial.
Appreciate 0