XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Tire pressure adjusted for handling?

I've been living with the 35F/41R so far, but the X1 28i has been understeering more than I would like; I'd like to see a little better balance.
Has anyone else tried to adjust the handling balance with tire pressure? I'm open to suggestion.
Most of the time, the car is hauling just me; I've got onsite air and can certainly bring pressures back up if I feel the need to move my anvil collection.

And, in a related matter, are tire rotations included in the maintenance? What is the interval?
Thnx,
Moon

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 04-24-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
dsx724
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
I've been living with the 35F/41R so far, but the X1 28i has been understeering more than I would like; I'd like to see a little better balance.
Has anyone else tried to adjust the handling balance with tire pressure? I'm open to suggestion.
Most of the time, the car is hauling just me; I've got onsite air and can certainly bring pressures back up if I feel the need to move my anvil collection.

And, in a related matter, are tire rotations included in the maintenance? What is the interval?
Thnx,
Moon
If you have an sDrive, usually you go higher pressure on the front and lower on the back for more oversteer and not vice versa. Lower pressure usually means less grip and responsiveness but may vary by the tire.
      04-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I'm trying 35 all the way around for the moment; stay posted.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Do you have the staggered set up or the square set up? Tire pressure will help a bit with your handling situation, but the suspension and wheel/tire have a lot more say.

I find my car oversteers like crazy, I'm looking forward to my staggered wheels to come in with better rubber to get a more neutral handling feel.

Rotations should be done every oil change I believe, unless you have the staggered wheel set up.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0