Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Hey Rory,
This is all very subjective but here's my take. I have a Q5. It's a great car. I have the 3.2 liter 6. It feels heavy. Smooth. On the highway it's a rocket. 60-90 in sports mode is a rush! Handles nicely for a car of that size and stature. I've driven the 2.0 Q5. It's very nice too. Feels much zippier with the 8 speed around town and off the line ... 0-40. Feels light. The ride is not as smooth or sophisticated. But perhaps a little more exciting.

The Evoque seems like a bad-weather baddass. The ground clearance is great for snow. It's a real, 4 wheel drive all the time. For this reason it felt a little squirrely on corners compared to a BMW or Q5. I also believe the tranny will take a beating over time with a 4X wheeler like this. But if you lived in the mountains in the northeast or something this would be the choice. Now this SAV has not been out long, so reliability is a big question mark.

For me the x1 is the perfect mix of both. I'm opting not to get the M version (though it's a bit better looking) because i'd rather have the higher ground clearance for snow and more forgiving ride. After all, the tires on the x1 are pretty low profile to begin with. I think the x1 will feel more responsive than the q5. It's a lot lighter to start... The 35 is nice but the higher mpg, especially down the line when many are expecting $5 a gallon, would bug me. I think you will see a lot of good options from other makers in the next few years. Q3 would be nice to try but who knows if that will ever get here.

Did you look at the audi A3? That's nice in a 2.0. Pretty small though. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
This is all really helpful guys thanks.

Going to go back to test the 28 vs the 35 and make the call from there. If the 35 had the 8spd tranny it'd be a no brainer. So far it's the X1, Q5, or Evoque. Evoque has the best styling (IMO) but is the least fun to drive and the lack of a functioning sunroof blows me away. Q5 has everything we want but is kind of boring, would like to test the new 2013. The X1 really had everything we wanted.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by popopine View Post
I'm opting not to get the M version (though it's a bit better looking) because i'd rather have the higher ground clearance for snow and more forgiving ride.
I have not seen that the Msport version is lowered or has lower snow clearance.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
I have not seen that the Msport version is lowered or has lower snow clearance.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Based on the many photos I've seen, I don't believe it's lowered. BMW's information doesn't elaborate on the "sport" suspension standard on the M Sport, so I'm not convinced there is much difference from the standard setup. I suppose it could have stiffer springs without actually lowering the ride height, but none of the reviews I've read implied the ride quality was different at all. The torque vectoring AWD and increased understeer due to the staggered wheels have both been discussed, but nothing about the suspension. If anybody knows more, I would like further clarification on the matter myself.

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-04-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

No hard proof and i should have stated so. I wrote that based on the fact that many sport suspensions will lower the car 10 -15mm or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
Based on the many photos I've seen, I don't believe it's lowered. BMW's information doesn't elaborate on the "sport" suspension standard on the M Sport, so I'm not convinced there is much difference from the standard setup. I suppose it could have stiffer springs without actually lowering the ride height, but none of the reviews I've read implied the ride quality was different at all. The torque vectoring AWD and increased understeer due to the staggered wheels have both been discussed, but nothing about the suspension. If anybody knows more, I would like further clarification on the matter myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
No hard proof and i should have stated so. I wrote that based on the fact that many sport suspensions will lower the car 10 -15mm or so.
I understand and I had presumed the same, especially since the implication is there. I myself am just making assumptions based on the lack of specific details and the fact that the car doesn't appear to sit any lower. All I know for certain is that the M Sport wears staggered wheels outfitted with summer tires. Maybe in BMW's eyes this constitutes a Sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
I remember that in New York Auto show, a BMW official specifically mentioned that X1 sport suspension in M Sport Line, unlike other BMW cars' sport suspension, is not lowered by 10-15 mm and has the same ground clearance as non-sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Thanks.

I know this probably seems crazy to the other 90+% of the country... but I CAN'T WAIT to drive my X1 in the snow!!!

Never had AWD - looking forward to it!

It's almost time to get the skis ready and for the most fun season to begin.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #30
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Really helpful insight folks thanks.

So we've narrowed it down to 3:

x1 28i
x1 35i
Volvo XC60-R design

We like the r-design because it has a bunch of cool safety features, picks up well (but feels much heavier), is pretty cool/exclusive because you dont see many out there, styling is nice (20's are gorgeous, interior is great), very spacious. A few little things bother me (doesnt feel as agile as the X1, technology not as nice as X1, etc)

The 28i is a tough one for me. I honestly dont feel it's that different from the 35i. It feels lighter, very peppy...awesome car. LOVE the 8spd transmission, shifts much quicker and smoother than the 6spd in the 35i. Downside to me is, it sounds like a rental car....its got a 4cyl grunt thats just annoying to hear. With the paddle shifters I bet it can become tiresome downshifting and hearing this little sewing machine "vroom-ing".

The 35i is awesome in every way except I felt more lag than the 28i....the throttle response is definitely different than the 28i. The 35i is more fun when you floor it, but at partial throttle to my butt dyno it feels like the 28i zips along just as quick. At high RPM's when that turbo is fully spooled and jammin along, the 35i comes alive over the 28i, but given mileage differences, price differences, and most importantly that old 6spd tranny vs the new 8spd...I just dont know if its worth it.

We can likely get the best deal on the R-design, which also makes it attractive. We both like them all, but prefer the X1, and i have no idea regarding the 28i vs 35i. Im talking to their service guy today to see if there are any performance options/chips/parts BMW will be making available that will maintain the warranty. That may be a deciding factor - if we can bump up the 28i to feel more like the 35i in terms of full throttle zoom...it may seal the deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed.

Also one thing i just noticed - per the build process on the site, you cannot order an MSport with the matte wood trim - kind of odd - fact or another stupid build your own mistake?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Fact. Only certain lines get certain trims/seat colors. I miss the days of regular options, not these "lines."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #33
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, thats annoying. Any way to order "individual" or just have a dealer who is on the ball call the factory to make it happen? It's not like the trim pieces are different shapes and sizes. We really liked the matte wood, one of the coolest things on the car. M sport is a must for the outward appearance (regular model looks too "normal" to me). Hopefully a dealer who wants the business can make it happen.
Appreciate 0