XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

05-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2012 Lotus Evora, x1

Garmin 7" nav installed in dash

Garmin 7" nav installed in dash. This is Garmins lastest model with very large 7" screen and traffic. I really like the garmins and this is the best unit to date. Unit is solid like a factory install. Unit has very bright screen and looks like a tablet. It has a very loud a powerful speaker that's very sharp and clear.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Really cool. What model is that garmin? Did you have to buy a special kit for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrdskynyrd803 View Post
Really cool. What model is that garmin? Did you have to buy a special kit for it?
It just came out. Nuvi 2797 LMT. The mount I used is garmin dash mount. I removed the rubber pad that is in the box and mounted the dash mount to the bottom of the hard plastic in the box. The bottom of the dash mount is super strong adhesive tape and the mount comes with an arm that has a ball mount socket and that attaches to the back of the garmin. I added a cigarette lighter socket to that box. There is plenty of room in that box for all the wires. I leave the unit attached all the time as is looks like the factory screen on the new 3 series that looks like it just sits on the dash.

The nice part is unlock the garmin mount and GPS screen detaches you can then put the screen in the glove box. Then you can still close the door on the dash bin and when you look inside the X1 it looks like nothing is there.

I had a new 5" nuvi and I was going to mount the screen inside the box like the factory nav unit but I was going to leave the door on the dash bin box for a custom look.

Then I saw how the new 3 series nav looked and found out garmin just came out with a 7" unit and made it look sort of like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
KaKiT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xLine

nice solution to save around $2.500. But i still like the original built-in navigation more. The gap between the screen (bottom) and the dashboard is a little big to big.

But once again, nice and great alternative!
      05-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKiT View Post
nice solution to save around $2.500. But i still like the original built-in navigation more. The gap between the screen (bottom) and the dashboard is a little big to big.

But once again, nice and great alternative!
I did not get the factory Navigation to save money. I think BMW makes great cars but there factory GPS is just terrible. If they made factory nav unit that worked like the Garmin I would buy it. This new Garmin is really state of the art and it really sets a benchmark for GPS systems. I can get an address in the unit so fast. Either by voice command or pressing directly on the screen.

To talk to the unit you do not have to press any buttons I have it custom set up to wake up on just saying "hello X1". From there I use any functions the unit has to offer from quick address input to screen brightness to volume control. Also the sound out of the unit is Bluetooth to the BMW sound system.

The unit also has active lane guidance with photo real juction view. It also has something called "real directions". What this is is like real person telling you where to turn. Example turn right at the 7 Eleven turn left at the gas station.

I also have custom apps. That will alert to speed traps, red light cameras. There is a new one that has dangers ahead on the road pot holes ect. The built in traffic works very well and while most traffic on GPS only works on major highways this works on surface streets also.

I already fixed the gap on the screen bottom and dashboard. The unit now sits flush to the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
aramosc
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 S-line 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemovie View Post
I did not get the factory Navigation to save money. I think BMW makes great cars but there factory GPS is just terrible. If they made factory nav unit that worked like the Garmin I would buy it. This new Garmin is really state of the art and it really sets a benchmark for GPS systems. I can get an address in the unit so fast. Either by voice command or pressing directly on the screen.

To talk to the unit you do not have to press any buttons I have it custom set up to wake up on just saying "hello X1". From there I use any functions the unit has to offer from quick address input to screen brightness to volume control. Also the sound out of the unit is Bluetooth to the BMW sound system.

The unit also has active lane guidance with photo real juction view. It also has something called "real directions". What this is is like real person telling you where to turn. Example turn right at the 7 Eleven turn left at the gas station.

I also have custom apps. That will alert to speed traps, red light cameras. There is a new one that has dangers ahead on the road pot holes ect. The built in traffic works very well and while most traffic on GPS only works on major highways this works on surface streets also.

I already fixed the gap on the screen bottom and dashboard. The unit now sits flush to the dashboard.
Pics???
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
It just came out. Nuvi 2797 LMT. The mount I used is garmin dash mount. I removed the rubber pad that is in the box and mounted the dash mount to the bottom of the hard plastic in the box. The bottom of the dash mount is super strong adhesive tape and the mount comes with an arm that has a ball mount socket and that attaches to the back of the garmin. I added a cigarette lighter socket to that box. There is plenty of room in that box for all the wires. I leave the unit attached all the time as is looks like the factory screen on the new 3 series that looks like it just sits on the dash.

The nice part is unlock the garmin mount and GPS screen detaches you can then put the screen in the glove box. Then you can still close the door on the dash bin and when you look inside the X1 it looks like nothing is there.

I had a new 5" nuvi and I was going to mount the screen inside the box like the factory nav unit but I was going to leave the door on the dash bin box for a custom look.

Then I saw how the new 3 series nav looked and found out garmin just came out with a 7" unit and made it look sort of like that.

Thanks alot for responding i really appreciate it. I think i might just do something like this in a month or 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
thosw
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:

Could you expand your explanation to include how you routed the 12v power to that location?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosw View Post
Could you expand your explanation to include how you routed the 12v power to that location?
Yes, I ran power from the fuse box. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the dashboard bin. I did not remove the box. I then fished the power wires to the glove box then connected everything. I removed the the glovebox and the kick panel below the glovebox. You can see how to do this on the post how to install radar detector.
I used a heat gun to heat up the garmin mount and have the GPS sit lower. It looks much better now.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramosc View Post
Pics???

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Gammaman
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Very slick installation! Did you use the heat gun to actually melt the plastic on the mount to get it to sit lower?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaman View Post
Very slick installation! Did you use the heat gun to actually melt the plastic on the mount to get it to sit lower?
Yes, I just got the plastic hot with the heat gun.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Old Thread, but great Info.....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Old Thread, but great Info.....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
akd_dallas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Does anybody have any experience with installing navigator upgrades from a USB stick? I got it from BMW, and it came with an activation code, but NO instructions...
Thank you...!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

Quote:

Good job...I did installed my nuvi Via on the same manner, but I didn't remove the dash box rubber pad, instead I barrowed my Tom-tom mount pad for the Tom mount suction cup, which I never use, and nested on the X1 dash box rubber pad. When the Garmin is not used I just disconnect it from the mount and stowed in the dash box with USB wire and close the lid.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

I like this - looks good - only issue is getting power to the dash box - is there an easy way of doing this that doesn't require messing about with the fusebox - I'm not entirely comfortable with this
      04-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #18
Trout34
Fly fisher
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XI SE petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripkord View Post
I like this - looks good - only issue is getting power to the dash box - is there an easy way of doing this that doesn't require messing about with the fusebox - I'm not entirely comfortable with this
I connected my TOM TOM to the rear 12 v socket by drilling a hole on the L/H side of the box ,removed the L/H trim with aplastic lever ,it comes out quite easily, then feed the wire to the foot well and tucked it behind the trim to the rear 12v socket.
I was wary of going to a 12v take off as I did this on my last car and it messed up the dashboard function
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

Good idea thanks
      07-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #20
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

I've just looked at a couple of these installs, I would imagine the power to 12v being run to the rear makes most sense. Will hopefully have a go at an install soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #21
Maclure75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Help please

Hi I know this is an old thread but I’ve just recently bought an E84 with no idrive and have installed a 5” Garmin in the same way but I was hoping you could explain how you got it to sit lower ? Which bit did you melt with heat gun? Mine still looks like your first attempt... with the gap.

Quote:
Yes, I ran power from the fuse box. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the dashboard bin. I did not remove the box. I then fished the power wires to the glove box then connected everything. I removed the the glovebox and the kick panel below the glovebox. You can see how to do this on the post how to install radar detector.
I used a heat gun to heat up the garmin mount and have the GPS sit lower. It looks much better now.

Appreciate 0