XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
HoTiCE_
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

17" Tires/wheels Winter options for X1

In light of that other 18" Winter thread, wanted to start one for the those of us who cheaped out on the tires and went 17"

One of my buddies started to look around for these and just wondered what you guys had found around...

SimplyTires in TO has a few packages but not sure what their replica's look like.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Ordered Rial Salerno 17x8 wheels from TireRack in a 29ET offset with 225/50-17 pirelli winter sottozero series 2 runflats on them.

Not the cheapest option out there, but I like the fact that the wheels are spun cast and TUV rated, made in Germany. No spare tire means that for winter peace off mind the Runflat was worth it to me. To top it off they take a stock centre cap so the wheels look factory.

I have test fit them but not mounted them for the season yet (still not cold enough thank god!!) but I will take some pics in two weeks when I mount them up for the season.

Having test fit them, they fit perfectly, but JUST clearing the front brake rotor! So be careful on 17" wheels as not all may clear the brakes!!! The offset on the 17x8 is only 1 mm off from my stock sport package 18x8's up front (29 vs. 30 for an 8 inch wide wheel on the front) so no real difference. The rears also work well(et30 on the 8 inch wide wheel vs. et40 on the stock 9 inch in the rear) being narrower but running well within parameters, so no fitment issues at all. Stock 17x7.5 wheels all around are et34 so they run placed slightly further into the wheel well. I would have ideally picked the 7.5" wide wheels for the extra rim protection, but Tirerack have not imported them, although they should be available in Europe.

For anyone who is interested in BMW trivia, the stock 18" sport package y-spoke wheels are marked as made by Ronal Germany on the back.

One weird thing is do not tell tire rack that you want them for an X1 on the phone or they will refuse your order!!! They do not have X1's in the states and for "liability" reasons they would not sell me them as they had not tested them themselves!! I ordered online pretending to be a 2009 528i base model and selected the wheels and tires through that. Careful here though as the wheels I ordered are also available for a 528i with a 20mm ET offset. These will stick out WAY TOO far for an X1!!

I had checked the Rial website in germany and my fitment listed above is an approved fitment for the X1 by TUV and the wheel manufacturer so I felt safe in ordering.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

Yeah I've been considering this package from tirerack as well.

BMW is selling their cheapest 17" package for about 2223.. I priced out the tire rack one at about $1700 not including duty. This includes the TPMS sensors (did you get tpms installed for yours? If so, you used an 09 528 as the reference and they work? I was thinking I'd have to try a 2011 model as I believe BMW changed TPMS sensors mid 2010)

Anyhow probably looking at about a $400 difference.. BMW is offering free storage of the summer wheels ("$200 value".. uh huh) so it does narrow the gap a bit.

I would love to see photos of these wheels on an X1 as I must admit I'm not confident on how they're going to look which has given me pause to pulling the trigger, but of the offerings I've seen on TireRack for wheels, other than OZ's (2-3 times the price) I'm not sure anything else appeals to me either.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
xspencex
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d

Before going for the 17" BMW package I checked on some E90 alloys on ebay a few months ago. . .looked like a good plan, then recently when I was actually looking to buy I noticed they'd all been bought up!

So either I went with 18" winter tyres. . $$$$$$ or 17" on BMW steel rims,

Didn't turn out too bad after all. . .in fact it rides better as well lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Canadian x1 do not have TPMS sensors, they rely on the ABS system to provide differential data to determine a low pressure situation, so you do not need to spend the money. I have the navi on mine and it does not have or show individual pressures for each wheel which is the case for cars with TPMs and Navi. I will get some pics soon, but in my opinion they look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredRacing View Post

BMW is selling their cheapest 17" package for about 2223.. I priced out the tire rack one at about $1700 not including duty. This includes the TPMS sensors (did you get tpms installed for yours? If so, you used an 09 528 as the reference and they work? I was thinking I'd have to try a 2011 model as I believe BMW changed TPMS sensors mid 2010)

Anyhow probably looking at about a $400 difference.. BMW is offering free storage of the summer wheels ("$200 value".. uh huh) so it does narrow the gap a bit.

I would love to see photos of these wheels on an X1 as I must admit I'm not confident on how they're going to look which has given me pause to pulling the trigger, but of the offerings I've seen on TireRack for wheels, other than OZ's (2-3 times the price) I'm not sure anything else appeals to me either.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
Canadian x1 do not have TPMS sensors, they rely on the ABS system to provide differential data to determine a low pressure situation, so you do not need to spend the money. I have the navi on mine and it does not have or show individual pressures for each wheel which is the case for cars with TPMs and Navi. I will get some pics soon, but in my opinion they look good!
That's correct... Canadian X1s don't have TPMS. We have FTM (Flat Tire Monitoring), no doubt another cost-savings measure for BMW Canada. TPMS is mandated on all cars in the US, but not up here north of the border!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
musicteacher
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Past: 2012 BMW X1, 2015 BMW 32

WiredRacing - I noticed that you're from Mississauga as well. Go to Tires23 in Mississauga - you should be able to get the same 17" tires sold at BMW along with replica alloy wheels for less than $2K taxes in.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
HoTiCE_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
That's correct... Canadian X1s don't have TPMS. We have FTM (Flat Tire Monitoring), no doubt another cost-savings measure for BMW Canada. TPMS is mandated on all cars in the US, but not up here north of the border!
Hey, we have mandatory Daylight Running Lights so it evens out
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
HoTiCE_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
Ordered Rial Salerno 17x8 wheels from TireRack in a 29ET offset with 225/50-17 pirelli winter sottozero series 2 runflats on them.

Not the cheapest option out there, but I like the fact that the wheels are spun cast and TUV rated, made in Germany. No spare tire means that for winter peace off mind the Runflat was worth it to me. To top it off they take a stock centre cap so the wheels look factory.

I have test fit them but not mounted them for the season yet (still not cold enough thank god!!) but I will take some pics in two weeks when I mount them up for the season.

Having test fit them, they fit perfectly, but JUST clearing the front brake rotor! So be careful on 17" wheels as not all may clear the brakes!!! The offset on the 17x8 is only 1 mm off from my stock sport package 18x8's up front (29 vs. 30 for an 8 inch wide wheel on the front) so no real difference. The rears also work well(et30 on the 8 inch wide wheel vs. et40 on the stock 9 inch in the rear) being narrower but running well within parameters, so no fitment issues at all. Stock 17x7.5 wheels all around are et34 so they run placed slightly further into the wheel well. I would have ideally picked the 7.5" wide wheels for the extra rim protection, but Tirerack have not imported them, although they should be available in Europe.

For anyone who is interested in BMW trivia, the stock 18" sport package y-spoke wheels are marked as made by Ronal Germany on the back.

One weird thing is do not tell tire rack that you want them for an X1 on the phone or they will refuse your order!!! They do not have X1's in the states and for "liability" reasons they would not sell me them as they had not tested them themselves!! I ordered online pretending to be a 2009 528i base model and selected the wheels and tires through that. Careful here though as the wheels I ordered are also available for a 528i with a 20mm ET offset. These will stick out WAY TOO far for an X1!!

I had checked the Rial website in germany and my fitment listed above is an approved fitment for the X1 by TUV and the wheel manufacturer so I felt safe in ordering.
Thanks for the info, I'm looking at ordering the exact same set.

btw, do you guys know what the bolt pattern is on the stock 17" model in Canada?

Last edited by HoTiCE_; 10-25-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
WiredRacing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicteacher View Post
you should be able to get the same 17" tires sold at BMW along with replica alloy wheels for less than $2K taxes in.
Well based on what I've just been told (thanks guys) about the lack of TPMS in our wheels and the X1's iDrive monitoring, this now means the gap between BMW's package and Tire Rack's is about another $250 more. Meaning I would be saving about $650 (PRE-TAX) so about $750 post tax. This means Tires 23 would have to come in more around $1700 taxes in.

Anyhow I'll see what they can do, but I'd want at the least a low-pressure cast wheel and it can't be made in China. Japan or Germany...

You usually get what you pay for. Tire Rack is High (with a capital H) volume. So they can do great prices for quality product. Tires23, I'm sure is a good retailer (I know people who use them) but they're small margin in a highly competitive field, there's only so much you can do. But I'll still ask them as, all things equal, I'd prefer to keep the money local.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Anyhow I'll see what they can do, but I'd want at the least a low-pressure cast wheel and it can't be made in China. Japan or Germany...
Really? Aren't most of the wheels from there?
      10-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
WiredRacing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Really? Aren't most of the wheels from there?
A lot of wheels are made there, but most quality ones are not.

Rial, BBS are German
Kosei, Rays, Prodrive are Japanese
OZ are Italy
etc...

Usually you pay for that, but the Rial's and Kosei's are often quite inexpensive.

Now if you can find me a chinese made wheel by a known company with a decent warranty, then I would reconsider. I've seen wheels brake, stress fractures, the whole lot just from regular use. But they've all be cheap wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A lot of wheels are made there, but most quality ones are not.

Rial, BBS are German
Kosei, Rays, Prodrive are Japanese
OZ are Italy
etc...

Usually you pay for that, but the Rial's and Kosei's are often quite inexpensive.

Now if you can find me a chinese made wheel by a known company with a decent warranty, then I would reconsider. I've seen wheels brake, stress fractures, the whole lot just from regular use. But they've all be cheap wheels.
I'm getting them from Steelcase Tires. They made by YKW - Euro Klasse. Think they are Chinese or Malaysian, but if they break, Steelcase will stand behind them.
      10-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTiCE_ View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm looking at ordering the exact same set.

btw, do you guys know what the bolt pattern is on the stock 17" model in Canada?
They are 5x120 same as most other modern BMW's with a 72.5 bore diameter if my recollection is correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
WiredRacing
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting them from Steelcase Tires. They made by YKW - Euro Klasse. Think they are Chinese or Malaysian, but if they break, Steelcase will stand behind them.
Yeah but there's a difference between a wheel that has no warranty where the retailer may warranty (stand behind it) and a wheel where the manufacturer will warranty it.

If I was single.. maybe I wouldn't care.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Ride on 17" Winter Rubber

Does anyone with the 205/50-17 winter package have any insight to change in handling at all? Do you feel the handling is still as good as with the staggered summer 18" setup (provided that is what you run in the summer)?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspencex View Post
Before going for the 17" BMW package I checked on some E90 alloys on ebay a few months ago. . .looked like a good plan, then recently when I was actually looking to buy I noticed they'd all been bought up!

So either I went with 18" winter tyres. . $$$$$$ or 17" on BMW steel rims,

Didn't turn out too bad after all. . .in fact it rides better as well lol.
Identical to mine, actually sitting at my dealer this very minute having mine fitted again for the winter. Your going to love them when things get wintry
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

guys have to buy winter tyres for my X1 in Dec, do I need to buy new and separate rims or is it best to mount them on existing alloys, will not be using snow chains in this part of Europe
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
WiredRacing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Does anyone with the 205/50-17 winter package have any insight to change in handling at all? Do you feel the handling is still as good as with the staggered summer 18" setup (provided that is what you run in the summer)?

Thanks.
I'll know next week, but in general I wouldn't really recommend running the wider (18"x8" front, 18x9" rear) wheels for the winter. For snow you want narrower. Now of course the car has xdrive so this is probably a little less of a point, but consider the staggered setup is a sport setup (which is what even BMW calls it) and therefore not intended for mud and snow.

In short, I'm sure you'll live, but wider isn't always better.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
guys have to buy winter tyres for my X1 in Dec, do I need to buy new and separate rims or is it best to mount them on existing alloys, will not be using snow chains in this part of Europe
It's more of a personal choice. If you do not get new wheels, there is more wear and tear on the wheels and tires in changing them over each time. Also I think you pay more for the changeover. But I'm not a tire expert so don't know what this extra wear and tear means.....
      10-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Thanks DUH, I guess going by xspencex review at the start of this thread I will do what he's done, looks good enough solution to me
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #22
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
It's more of a personal choice. If you do not get new wheels, there is more wear and tear on the wheels and tires in changing them over each time. Also I think you pay more for the changeover. But I'm not a tire expert so don't know what this extra wear and tear means.....
i can share some cons about 2 tires, 1 rim changeovers
- repeated changeover strains the beads that can lead to air bleeding out between rim lip and tire bead
- improper balancing can occur every seasonal changeover
- risk of shop personnel not careful doing the changeover (rushing, lack training)
- run flat rims costs extra to mount/unmount vs. regular rims
Appreciate 0