XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Transmission problems. Not good.

Here's what's happened. A month ago our X1 was doing it's normal auto stop/start thing but restarted in neutral and had to be shifted into drive. Weird but whatever. I took it to our dealer to change the ASS to remember last setting and now we leave it OFF.

Today my wife is driving in bumper to bumper traffic in a mild down slope and she is braking lightly while crawling. The car hesitates in its roll and then automatically shifts into neutral with no driver input. She presses the brake, pushes the transmission lock button and tries to put it in drive but it won't go and dash lights flash (not sure which). Car then shuts down while in neutral and she can still roll. She turns it on and it's in neutral, rolls to side of road, turns car off then back on and it's fine. Restarted in park, she switches to drive and it works.

That's screwed up and dangerous. When we had our ASS turned off they admitted there is an issue with X1s going into neutral with ASS restarts but there is no fix. Our problem sounds similar but ASS is off. Has anyone had any bugs in their transmission? Other than this it seems to run fine although downshifts could be smoother when coming to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Here's what's happened. A month ago our X1 was doing it's normal auto stop/start thing but restarted in neutral and had to be shifted into drive. Weird but whatever. I took it to our dealer to change the ASS to remember last setting and now we leave it OFF.

Today my wife is driving in bumper to bumper traffic in a mild down slope and she is braking lightly while crawling. The car hesitates in its roll and then automatically shifts into neutral with no driver input. She presses the brake, pushes the transmission lock button and tries to put it in drive but it won't go and dash lights flash (not sure which). Car then shuts down while in neutral and she can still roll. She turns it on and it's in neutral, rolls to side of road, turns car off then back on and it's fine. Restarted in park, she switches to drive and it works.

That's screwed up and dangerous. When we had our ASS turned off they admitted there is an issue with X1s going into neutral with ASS restarts but there is no fix. Our problem sounds similar but ASS is off. Has anyone had any bugs in their transmission? Other than this it seems to run fine although downshifts could be smoother when coming to a stop.
X1s going into neutral after auto start stop? That doesn't sound normal at all. I would bring it back to your dealer and INSIST on a fix for it. If they can't fix it then call BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I have to take the car on a 300 mile round trip tomorrow but it will be going to the dealer on friday. The problem is that there are only two episodes out of 3 months of driving. Apparently this has been in issue in F30s as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

I've also had a problem once with the car goin to neutral, but our car doesn't have ASS.
I was chased by a Porsche and some bikes, went over a speedbump, went back to 1st gear and applied full throttle. instead of driving away it went crazy and stuck on the rev limiter for about a second. It was kinda unexpected and I was shocked, but guess they could have enjoyed the screw up and the engine noise :')
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Check the other forums on here for more information, it's not related to just the X1. This is more common than people would probably expect and there doesn't seem to be a fix for any model.

Dealers often refer back to the manual saying "ASS should not be used in stop and go traffic" and a pretty large list of when it shouldn't be used. The software running ASS reads a lot of sensors and if anything doesn't look right it goes into a failsafe (ie neutral) and there is obviously at least one sensor that is over sensitive or not designed well enough for common situations. Good news is there probably isn't anything wrong with the car. Bad news is you never know when it may do this if it ever does again.

There are also some reports of this happening without ASS enabled but it happens a lot more often when it is. I imagine too a recall would be done if/when BMW finds a solution but it's been going on for a few years and there's been no or real information on what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

This is towards the 8 speed in the 28i it appears.

I'm running the 6 speed in the 35i and no start/stop.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
jleex1
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1

X1 transmission problem

Brand new 2014 X1 x28. 2500 miles on it. Got in this morning and transmission warning light came on. Yes door was closed etc....
A normal work day. Car simply would not let me shift.
Will see what the dealer says as it now has to be towed about 150 miles to have it looked at.....

so far no issues with ASS. mountain driving mostly a few stop lights around. Nice to know about the ASS neutral issue in case it happens. Will also look up how to turn it off if necessary....starting to miss my 1997 without all this electronic c**p....

thanks for the posts!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've ran into transmission issues maybe 4-5 times in my X1 35. I had a issue happened to me in fact today where when I got on the gas it hesitated like it was in neutral and then the transmission seemed to grab a gear and a big bang happened. I can only reproduce it sometimes when leaving a stop light hard. I took it to the dealer and they said that it hasen't trigger any sensors. It's really making me second guess about buying another BMW or at least one that isn't a M. I have a service appointment this saturday for my 12K service. should be interesting to see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I've kept the ASS turned off (never was there a more apt acronym...) and now I have two reasons to do so.
If you wouldn't use it in 'stop and go' traffic, where would you use it? Cruising on the Interstate?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

ASS

ASS might save you 25 cents a tank...and car constantly kicking off anytime you stop...Also had dealer program so it retains last setting when you start. Also stopped using ECO mode. Not enough savings to not have the great performance...
Appreciate 0