XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Low budget audio mod

Ok, I'm sure it pales in comparison to the $900 amp, but I got a JBL MS-2 and plugged it between the iPhone adapter and the AUX jack. Because of the goofy way BMW implements the iPhone integration, it allows this trick. What seemed like a bug is now a feature. ;-)

So, what is it? It's a DSP. It automatically equalizes and time- aligns. The imaging is much improved. But how good is it really?

I find it really does improve imaging, but the sound is a bit thin. I'm not sure it's audiophile quality by any means but it cost me $40, not $900. Better speakers would help too. The DSP can't fix everything. I'll try it for a while and see.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

Awesome. I just ordered one. Were you able to do a clean install or do you have all the wires hanging loose?

EDIT - Come to think about it, can't you just shove the MS2 and all the wires in the arm rest?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
Awesome. I just ordered one. Were you able to do a clean install or do you have all the wires hanging loose?
WELL, I hope you like it, else now I'm going to feel bad! I think as long as you have the frame of mind that it's designed to be a portable, inexpensive DSP, it's a unique product. I've tried another kind of sound modifier in the past, and this one sounds less artificial and easily works in the car environment.

When you run the setup, do it multiple times until you get the result you like. Sometimes moving it slightly left or right (during setup tones) makes a big difference in the imaging. Once configured, be sure to turn on the "sub" option to allow sub frequencies through. This is explained in the manual, but that's my short summary of what to look out for.

Oh, and you'll need a female-to-female 1/8" jack adapter (or a male-to-female cord), if you're working with the BMW iPhone/iPod adapter.

Quote:
EDIT - Come to think about it, can't you just shove the MS2 and all the wires in the arm rest?
That's exactly what I did. I used the power plug in the armrest, bundled up excess cable, and put the gadget on top. Two cords still need to run from the armrest to the front AUX port/adapter cable. I don't think there's any way to get away from all of the cables; you could plug it in the front and stuff everything in the pocket, but that looks messier, I think... plus I'm already using the front port to power a GPS (although I don't generally need the dedicated GPS, as here again, I could use the phone, but still...).

For me, the soundstage is raised and better imaging creates a good center image. However, the treble seems to be boosted, and it seems a bit "thin". I'm going to play with it more and see if I can hit a better setup.

But if you don't mind the loss of your armrest pocket , it's easy to setup and use.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Its really any awesome upgrade. Done on my E90 back in 2012 and ending up buying MS-8 which was ever better.

I still use it in my X1. The only problem is that if I used 6FL (apple produced via usb), then I cannot use MS-2 or in other words, I cannot control steering wheel controls. I have to use apple watch to change the tracks
      02-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Huh... I'll have to try the steering wheel control. I don't usually use that. I am able to select songs using the radio, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Steering controls work fine with this setup. I was able to forward to the next song. Also able to use the radio controls to navigate the iPhone song/album list.

The iPhone is still directly connected to the BMW splitter cable, and the MS-2 only goes inline in the AUX line, so the car is completely unaware of the addition.

Sound-wise, it really lifts the soundstage and improves the high-end quite a bit. It takes a lot of repeated attempts to get a good tuning, though. It's not exactly audiophile-quality, but for the car, it's OK. If you have $2000, then, yeah, upgrade the amp and speakers, but this was $40.

Last edited by Vidgamer; 02-24-2017 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't use cell phones, and so, is a iPhone needed to use this product? I don't have the iDrive/USB connectivity upgrade, but I do have 2 subs. I currently use flash drives to play music, because they will work, but an iPod won't without using the mini-plug, and the music sounds like mud.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Technically, you just need any sort of music player that uses the AUX port.... and an AUX port on the car. Whether or not it sounds like mud is a separate issue. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Not sure how a front end product like this can do anything but equalize. It's not like it can adjust signal to each speaker component.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #10
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Not sure how a front end product like this can do anything but equalize. It's not like it can adjust signal to each speaker component.
It takes stereo in, and outputs stereo. It can delay the left component for time-alignment. If you're worried about all 4 speakers, wanting more of a surround-sound setup, then you'd have to save up some $$ for a more expensive solution.
Appreciate 0