XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Reefermeister
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i 2012

Help. Car won't start.

Ok. I have a 2012 X1 since January of this year. Everything was fine since a month ago. I would drive my car, go to places and when I go back to my car and put my smart key in the ignition, nothing... No lights, no radio, no sound, no nothing...(Can't unlock my car with my key too) Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes or hours for it to go away. Sometimes even my alarm go off for 5 minutes! This problem also occurred when I tried to start my car for the first time of the day.

I wen't to get my car battery checked and everything is fine (battery ground also). The problem is not my key, because when I wait and everything goes back to normal, the clock in my car goes back to 00:00, just if the contact between the battery and the computer was lost.

As I write this message my car is at a garage, for the past 4 days now, and the guy is an ''electrical problem pro'' and he can't find the problem. I haven't touched my car for 3 days before going to the garage and now the problem won't happen while he's working on it...

I'm a bit desperate now...

Any luck some of you might know what the problem is?

Thank you, sorry for my bad english third language

Last edited by Reefermeister; 08-26-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Your English is perfectly fine :-)

This is probably something your Pro did anyway, but check the battery contacts for corrosion. Maybe replace both the car and key batteries.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
fittech
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I had the same issue with my car. There is a recall for this issue but mine missed it by a couple of days. Apparently the main red cable from battery to fuse panel has a bad connection which causes sudden power loss to all components.The cable has to be cut and re-connected from about 1 foot in. Dealer called BMW and they agreed to pay for labour and i would pay for parts(about $40.00).
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittech View Post
I had the same issue with my car. There is a recall for this issue but mine missed it by a couple of days. Apparently the main red cable from battery to fuse panel has a bad connection which causes sudden power loss to all components.The cable has to be cut and re-connected from about 1 foot in. Dealer called BMW and they agreed to pay for labour and i would pay for parts(about $40.00).
Hope this helps.
Do you have a recall number at all? I'm sure that would helpful to the OP and anyone else with a similar problem
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittech View Post
Hope this helps.
My vote is here as well. I know the recall affected many LCI E9X 3-series so I don't see why the X1 would be an exception, since they have so many similarities. When the recall first came out, there were instances where owners would lose electronics WHILE driving.

Search your VIN here:

http://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
fittech
Rep

Here is a link to Transport Canada for the recall:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...ng&&rn=2013048
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
fittech
Rep

Sorry last link didn't work. Try this link

http://************/zvlla8u
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
fittech
Rep

I can't get the link to work so just look up Transport Canada Recall # 2013048
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
fittech
Rep

According to Transport Canada the cut-off date was around June 15/2011 and the reason my BMW X1 missed that date was because it was manufactured on June 18/2011. I did complain to Transport Canada as the recall should of been issued for vehicles manufactured till the end of the month. I'm sure there's still a few BMW's that we're missed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
Jillybeans
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefermeister View Post
Ok. I have a 2012 X1 since January of this year. Everything was fine since a month ago. I would drive my car, go to places and when I go back to my car and put my smart key in the ignition, nothing... No lights, no radio, no sound, no nothing...(Can't unlock my car with my key too) Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes or hours for it to go away. Sometimes even my alarm go off for 5 minutes! This problem also occurred when I tried to start my car for the first time of the day.

I wen't to get my car battery checked and everything is fine (battery ground also). The problem is not my key, because when I wait and everything goes back to normal, the clock in my car goes back to 00:00, just if the contact between the battery and the computer was lost.

As I write this message my car is at a garage, for the past 4 days now, and the guy is an ''electrical problem pro'' and he can't find the problem. I haven't touched my car for 3 days before going to the garage and now the problem won't happen while he's working on it...

I'm a bit desperate now...

Any luck some of you might know what the problem is?

Thank you, sorry for my bad english third language
Hi, I have the exact same issue and same model, can you please tell me what the problem and fix was? My car is completely dead today. I had taken it in to the BMW dealership a month prior and asked them to troubleshoot they were unable to find anything...now it's completely dead. No hazard light, nothing....had to manually open the doors and truck. ��
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

A friend of mine has a similar issue in his E60 535i. Ended up having to do with a current draw when the instrument cluster brightness was at anything other than full brightness. Something of a short circuit type of thing - I don't recall exactly.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
stanwich
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 s28i

My MY15's radio would cut off for a second randomly or I would see my lights pulsing/dimming slightly. I thought it was a battery, alternator, or even voltage regulator issue. Turns out it was just a loose battery connection on a car that's been driven for less than 5k miles. I'm leaning towards checking the battery connectors.
Appreciate 0