03-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #23
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
No, the CAN wires are not spliced. There's no cutting of wires, you're not splicing the JB4 CAN wires in between anything. There's no modification to anything factory.

The car's CAN wires are twisted together from the factory, with a removable cover slipped over them. You simply remove the cover, twist the JB4s wires over the factory wires, and slip the cover back over. You're not modifying the factory connection, it stays intact at all times.
Wellll ok. that's true they don't have to be cut. you win.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #24
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
A quick update:

Sport and Manual mode shifts are much faster, and the shift points are more appropriate. Rev matching is nice, and the car seems to have a more natural response to downshifts when engine braking (helps for mountain driving).

My favorite part about this mod has to be the new Drive mode. It is SO smooth compared to stock. It really makes the X1 feel like a new car / new transmission.
I'd like to know if the Alpina tune eliminates the throttle tip-in delay that is so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
No, the CAN wires are not spliced. There's no cutting of wires, you're not splicing the JB4 CAN wires in between anything. There's no modification to anything factory.

The car's CAN wires are twisted together from the factory, with a removable cover slipped over them. You simply remove the cover, twist the JB4s wires over the factory wires, and slip the cover back over. You're not modifying the factory connection, it stays intact at all times.
Wellll ok. that's true they don't have to be cut. you win.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #26
DadBody
Because Guys with Dad Body's get Groceries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35i

Noob here. I'm following this post as I'm compiling my parts. I have a 2014 x1 35i, and snagged a jb4 with Bluetooth for $280 bucks on eBay. Its off a 435, but for the price I couldn't pass it up should have it Wednesday. I also picked up an extra stock down pipe for $220 that I'm going to hollow out the CAT. I'm going to try and grab a couple stock 93 octane synopsis pulls before upgrades. I plan to Run About a 20% E85 mix after the build starts. I will keep you all posted. I'm in DC area. Keep the posts going!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #27
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadBody View Post
Noob here. I'm following this post as I'm compiling my parts. I have a 2014 x1 35i, and snagged a jb4 with Bluetooth for $280 bucks on eBay. Its off a 435, but for the price I couldn't pass it up should have it Wednesday. I also picked up an extra stock down pipe for $220 that I'm going to hollow out the CAT. I'm going to try and grab a couple stock 93 octane synopsis pulls before upgrades. I plan to Run About a 20% E85 mix after the build starts. I will keep you all posted. I'm in DC area. Keep the posts going!
Your eBay Jb4 for the 435 probably wont work on your E-series X1. Keep the bluetooth if its a rev 3 and sell the Jb4 for the correct one and get the flex fuel wire connection. Convert to "ISO" if not a new unit and update the firmware asap. I'd also look on the e90 forums and buy an aftermarket catless downpipe, it will fit just fine and you can sell the stock catted one on eBay again. The aftermarket is easier to install as well since they aren't as wide and bulky. Hope you enjoy the car with the increased boost pressure!
      04-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #28
DadBody
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
Your eBay Jb4 for the 435 probably wont work on your E-series X1. Keep the bluetooth if its a rev 3 and sell the Jb4 for the correct one and get the flex fuel wire connection. Convert to "ISO" if not a new unit and update the firmware asap. I'd also look on the e90 forums and buy an aftermarket catless downpipe, it will fit just fine and you can sell the stock catted one on eBay again. The aftermarket is easier to install as well since they aren't as wide and bulky. Hope you enjoy the car with the increased boost pressure!
I thought the same thing, but he said that it was for an E and not an F chassis. For the price, I'm willing to take a chance. Worst case, i know I can resell it at a profit. The Bluetooth alone is worth $140, so we'll see what I get. We have pretty nasty "inspections" here in the D.C. Area. I'm going to try and keep it"looking" stock as much and as long as possible. I understand and I'm ready to to punt the stock "facade" if it's not going to make it through an inspection or is just cost/time prohibitive. Thanks for advice, I will post what "eBay" special I get and how the upgrade/adaptation goes. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #29
DadBody
United_States
Rep

Everything is Up and Running, but....

Quote:
I thought the same thing, but he said that it was for an E and not an F chassis. For the price, I'm willing to take a chance. Worst case, i know I can resell it at a profit. The Bluetooth alone is worth $140, so we'll see what I get. We have pretty nasty "inspections" here in the D.C. Area. I'm going to try and keep it"looking" stock as much and as long as possible. I understand and I'm ready to to punt the stock "facade" if it's not going to make it through an inspection or is just cost/time prohibitive. Thanks for advice, I will post what "eBay" special I get and how the upgrade/adaptation goes. Cheers!
So after performing the iso mod (cutting one diode) and updating the to the latest Firmware (ver 12) everything was up and working, kind of. The car wasn't making any boost with the waste gate connections made up. All other features were working, and if I re-made the stock waste gate connection, I was making stock boost levels.

I emailed Terry and Jon at Burger, and Terry was concerned I had a bad board, but Jon gave me some updated settings. Low and behold it was all jacked, possibly from the 435, but either way, it was routinely making over 12 psi on map 1 as it should.

Now... the car in in the shop due to an unrelated issue. I was installing a trailer hitch receiver, and noticed the dark black oil under and around the tranny and transfer case I had addressed a month after I bought it, is still there. Waiting to see what the diagnosis is.

I cancelled my dyno runs and I'm holding off on the DP and E85 until the tranny oil situation is resolved. I have the Flex Fuel wires to install in my harness while the car is in the shop as well.

Will update when things are sorted...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #30
DadBody
United_States
Rep

Update: installed flex fuel and mod DP. I'm running map 5 with about 10 gallons of e85, the rest was 93octane.

I took it the drag strip, ran 13.4 at 107 mph, .250 RT, making peak 18psi of boost. DS launch then manual shift at 6k for 3rd gear. I think a 12.9 is possible.

Two days later, blew my charge pipe off, lol. Cobb charge pipe going on this week.

Still need to install one step colder NGK plugs before dyno. I intend to keep topping off with e85. No unexpected problems or issues thus far.

Last edited by DadBody; 06-06-2017 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Update: installed flex fuel and mod DP. I'm running map 5 with about 10 gallons of e85, the rest was 93octane.

I took it the drag strip, ran 13.4 at 107 mph, .250 RT, making peak 18psi of boost. DS launch then manual shift at 6k for 3rd gear. I think a 12.9 is possible.

Two days later, blew my charge pipe off, lol. Cobb charge pipe going on this week.

Still need to install one step colder NGK plugs before dyno. I intend to keep topping off with e85. No unexpected problems or issues thus far.
Any update on the dyno? Does an FMIC give good gains on the E84, like it does on E89 and E9x? That could be a nice next mod
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #32
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Any update on the dyno? Does an FMIC give good gains on the E84, like it does on E89 and E9x? That could be a nice next mod
A FMIC doesn't give any gains really. It provides consistency, and more resistance to heat soak. So, yes, you'll consistently make power out on the road on a hot day, or after sitting in traffic, but your not going to see much if any improvement on the dyno.

But sure, it's the same engine, so the same mods perform identically.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
A FMIC doesn't give any gains really. It provides consistency, and more resistance to heat soak. So, yes, you'll consistently make power out on the road on a hot day, or after sitting in traffic, but your not going to see much if any improvement on the dyno.

But sure, it's the same engine, so the same mods perform identically.
Check out the dynos of cobb stg 1+ (flash tune + FMIC).. and compare against tune only, tune + DP, and tune + DP + FMIC

Oddly, it seems the FMIC gives gains
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #34
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Check out the dynos of cobb stg 1+ (flash tune + FMIC).. and compare against tune only, tune + DP, and tune + DP + FMIC

Oddly, it seems the FMIC gives gains
That's because the 1+ flash tune is different than the regular 1 tune. Run the 1+ map on the stock IC, and you'd see similar numbers. The gain is in the slightly hotter tune. Similar to the MHD 1 and 1+ N54/55 tunes.

When running a JB4, absent heat soaking, the car is going to make about the same power.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #35
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's because the 1+ flash tune is different than the regular 1 tune. Run the 1+ map on the stock IC, and you'd see similar numbers. The gain is in the slightly hotter tune. Similar to the MHD 1 and 1+ N54/55 tunes.

When running a JB4, absent heat soaking, the car is going to make about the same power.
It's hard to be absent the heat soak though on the stock stuff. My Z4 IAT shot up and car would pull timing right away, after 2 highway pulls..
Appreciate 0