XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Has anyone experienced problems fueling up for gas?

Hello BMW brothers and sisters!

I have an issue, maybe someone can shed some light

Recently i have experienced problems getting gas. Normally i put the pump in and set the holder so i don't have to hold it.

About a month ago i was fueling up at a Chevron that i don't normally go to

(yes thats right, i have gas stations i normally go to)

Anyway when fueling up the pump kept stopping. There was no possible way my car could have been full, so i was "wth"

Anyway so i tried to reset it again, and it started going for like 10 seconds then stopped again.

I then tried holding it manually and it kept stopping as well. Eventually i had enough in so i had a full tank of gas, but a stop that should have taken 1 minute ended up taking 10.

Two weeks later i fueled up at a different chevron with having in mind that perhaps it was that Chevron with that pump specifically. Since my car was due for service soon, i decided to record it, but this time i had no issues, the fueled itself automatically until it was done.

The next time after i fueled up again with no problems.

THEN today i had to fuel up, at a different station yet again, and it kept stopping, very similar to my first time experiencing this.

My question is this, does anyone know why this is happening or what not?
i did manage to get this on film so i have it, but my car was just in service two days ago and i dont really have time to go back

i read somewhere that holding the pump higher or something will cause it to NOT fail and i tried that today and it went longer without stopping, but it still kept stopping

I dont mind holding a pump for 2 minutes, usually because gas last me two solid weeks, so 2 minutes it not a huge compromise.

But i am not sure how much to put in my car before it overfills, and or, this is rather embarrassing. My car was a DEMO model and i don't want to associate my problems with my car having that demo model

Please Help

Thanks BMW Brothers and Sisters !!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

this happens to me frequently.

Answer
This is perfectly normal. It happens because as the fuel goes into the tank it splashes and bubbles. As the tank gets closer to being full, the displacement caused by the bubbles forces the gas to go up the pipe that feeds the tank and triggers the "full" switch on the pump nozzle. This is similar to if you are filling up a cup of cola at a restaurant, you have to wait for the fizz to die down before you can put that last 1/4 in.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

It has only happened to me at one station. I got peeved because it kept clicking off over and over again, so I finally just left with 1/3 of the tank filled up. Never went back to that station.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Normal....don't stick the nozzle that far in, it will work a lot better that way.

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
X1Denver
niner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X1 Alpine Xdrive35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Normal....don't stick the nozzle that far in, it will work a lot better that way.
True or try not putting the nozzle on the FULL OPEN notch setting.
During hot summer days lots of cars dont like fast GPMs of fuel. Its because of the extra vapor build up.

remember when a1 golfs spit fuel at you when parked in the summer? or my e30 m3 for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1Sdrive28i View Post
Normally i put the pump in ...
There is the problem, you put the pump in. Most people just stick the nozzle into the tank. After putting the pump into the tank it was probably full. So no wonder the auto shut off kicked in.

If it happens with the nozzle, readjust it and put it on the slower fill rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #7
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Ambient temp has something to do with it as well.
Appreciate 0