XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

safely put away rear covers in the boot

Guys is there a way I can safely put away those rear covers in the boot when I don't need them? I though my dealer showed me, but I'm not sure but now I just can't figure out how as they just don't fit anywhere.. is it possible? Coz I don't think putting them in garage makes any sense and I have seen other model BMW has a place in the boot itself to safely put them away...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

JZ, you need to 'splain a little more about what you don't know.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
FFEMT510
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i

You mean the boot covers? That separate the passenger compartment from the boot? I don't think there's a place to store them other than in their intended position. Would be interested if there was...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
JZ, you need to 'splain a little more about what you don't know.
Moon
I mean the boot covers - the one that is attached to the tailgate with a thread and hence opens once the boot opens and the other small one just behind this one that's attached to the tailgate..

FFEMT: ya that's the one, I thought my dealer showed me how but I could be wrong since I have been watching a lot of videos and I could have seen there instead
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I mean the boot covers - the one that is attached to the tailgate with a thread and hence opens once the boot opens and the other small one just behind this one that's attached to the tailgate..

FFEMT: ya that's the one, I thought my dealer showed me how but I could be wrong since I have been watching a lot of videos and I could have seen there instead
Ha Ha! Americans use the word "trunk" not "boot". That may explain why you received some confusing responses!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I understood the boot part but still was confused. What is being called the tailgate (that is on a truck in North America) would the be called the hatch.

Anywho, what the OP is talking about are the two black covers that hide yer stuff in the back from proving eyes. We removed them at one point to see if a bike would fit in the back. I did not try to put them back in so they were stored. So I am not sure where they might go.

If the seats are down I could see sliding the small one in the footwell of the back seats with the larger one being between the rear head rests (while down) and the back of the front seats. If the rear seats are up I have no idea where they could be stored as the large one is bulky.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

They reside in the same place I stored my cover on my GTI; leaning against the wall, in a garbage bag.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

The 2 piece boot cover is a royal pain. Definitely takes away some of the practicality aspect when you need to fold the seats back to carry something large--what the heck do you do with that boot cover then? My Subaru wagon at least had the scroll up variety that didn't take up much space when removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #9
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Sorry for the confusion guys I've seen it on other BMW model where U can put them away at the bottom of the boot..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

My bride's A4 Avant uses a roll up blind over the trunk, which is usually a better proposition when you don't need it. I do like being able to conceal what's stored there in either case.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

If the rear seats are not in fully inclined to the back you can put the big piece behind the seats. I can't find a place for the small one.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Ok I was hallucinating when I said I thought my dealer showed me how to put it away My Dealer confirmed that they can be safely put away in the garage or somewhere else safe...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Ok I was hallucinating when I said I thought my dealer showed me how to put it away My Dealer confirmed that they can be safely put away in the garage or somewhere else safe...
On the 3 Series Touring there is space under the boot floor (that's trunk for you guys across the pond).
My old A4 Avant had the roller blind type, but it was so well engineered (over-engineered?) it was so heavy to remove if you wanted to use the full space.
Appreciate 0