Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

GOLF R anybody?

I'm thinking of trading my X1 35i for a Golf R. I no longer need to use it for a DD, and work delivery car, and I really miss my '13 GTI. I've got some mods, but I haven't installed them yet due to life changes, and uncertainty. I hate the tan interior, the trans, and the general lack of quality, but it drives well, and if I mod the suspension, I can get rid of the body lean. If I get a R, I can also get the DSG, so my wife can drive it too. I can also get a better color combo, and get rid of the damn sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

I like the GTIs and that was top of my list last time, but the R is just a step too far. Far more expensive, and while I'm sure it's a monster, even the normal GTI is overkill, really. The top trim GTI even has the adjustable suspension, which sounds interesting. I will say that as fun to drive as it is, I like my X1's RWD more than I thought I would. It's been a long time since I had a RWD car, so I got used to FWD. I think if I wanted a VW-group car with AWD, the A3 with Quattro is more affordable, and a bit more grown-up looking, but a blast to drive. Only thing, I really like the hatch in a small car to make it more usable. Decisions, decisions -- ended up with the used X1 instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

A fully optioned Golf R is about 41 with adaptive suspension/Nav group, and about 37 w/o. An equivalent Audi (292HP) is the RS3, only in sedan, is about 48 equally equipped. A GTI Autobahn with a cheaper version of the adaptive suspension is almost 36, with FWD, and 70 less HP. I really like the Audi's looks, but I like hatches more. Step up to the RS3 and you get 400HP, and a 5 cylinder motor, but that thing wlll go well over 50, nearing 60 large with options. All in all, I haven't been knocked out by my first BMW, but it was such a good buy as a CPO car, I overlooked the stuff I didn't like. The Golf R is also about 500 pounds less than my X1.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

I've came from a quite modded 300hp GTI and an R to an X1. I've spent a lot of time in the new R as well as my co-worker just picked one up.
It's just not worth the premium.
If your not stuck on getting a new car, you can pick up clean low mile fourth gen m3 for that all day.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

kiloTHTREE, care to elaborate? I've always wanted a Golf R and figure once my stint with the X1 is done, that might be my next ride. I've always thought it was comparable to an X1. My X1 35i cost me $45k new, so the R would actually be considerably cheaper.
      07-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
kiloTHTREE, care to elaborate?
The number of slightly used (~40k Miles) cars in the 30-40 range is staggering.
M3's, 911's, Corvette, TTRS, S4, lotus...

I'll admit the practicality factor goes down on those, but damn. I'll drive a POS 00's van to get into that kind of level for side action.

(edit) As a side note, had my GTI not been ruthlessly rear ended by a van doing 40. I would still have that car today but I would have gone with something more practical then the X1 for a second car, possibly a jetta wagon or passat.

Last edited by kiloTHREE; 07-20-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0