XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Low Coolant

Got a dash light yesterday that my car was low on coolant. I looked through my owner's manual and notice that it didn't specify a specific type of coolant. Not being anywhere near a dealership and the temperatures being pretty hot out, I added some Prestone 50/50 mix (all Makes, all models). I hope that's ok to use. It took about a quart to fill entirely.

Is it normal for an N20 engine with only 26,xxx to require a quart of coolant? This is the first time I've ever seen the light. I don't know that it's ever been topped off while it's been at the dealership for maintenance.

Last edited by spoolinX1; 06-27-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Was it actually low or did the sensor just trip. They are known to be iffy.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Oh it was definitely low. The pop-up indicator was all the way at the bottom. I didn't even realize that it was designed to lift until I had it halfway filled.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

My n20 2014 X1 s28i seemed to need 1/2 quart when I picked up new after Euro delivery and 2500 miles.

Three years later it needed gain at about 20k miles, so I put in distilled water 1/2 quart.

If I catch it again in a few years I'll buy the BMW kind.

I'm scared to mix any antifreeze, but it's not a problem with oils.

The good stuff in Mazda and Ford line is FL-22 long lasting up to 10 years, but BMW always uses double talk to not tell us the specs that compare to other stuff.

Anyone know of type same specs that's not BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
My n20 2014 X1 s28i seemed to need 1/2 quart when I picked up new after Euro delivery and 2500 miles.

Three years later it needed gain at about 20k miles, so I put in distilled water 1/2 quart.

If I catch it again in a few years I'll buy the BMW kind.

I'm scared to mix any antifreeze, but it's not a problem with oils.

The good stuff in Mazda and Ford line is FL-22 long lasting up to 10 years, but BMW always uses double talk to not tell us the specs that compare to other stuff.

Anyone know of type same specs that's not BMW?
Your measurements seem to line up perfectly with how much I had to add to mine. I have never added any before, but this week I had to add 1 quart. My 28i X1 is exactly 3 years old.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Yeah, we've heard those N20's USE coolant, but where does it go?

Does head spread enough to drip some into combustion chamber and burn off, or does overflow steam some out?

I heard suggestion to fill only enough to barely float the float so you know it's full, but it has expansion room.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
interceptor428
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 28i/2015 428 m sport

I recently replaced my water pump (preventative...the old one seemed perfect) and I replaced my overflow tank cap...since I replaced the cap I noticed a slight hiss when I remove the cap to check the level...I have not lost any fluid since replacing the cap. Also the coolant level should be between the horizontal marks on the red level checker bobble thing...if that red level checker jumps up to it's limit when you take the cap off you have way too much fluid.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor428 View Post
I recently replaced my water pump (preventative...the old one seemed perfect) and I replaced my overflow tank cap...since I replaced the cap I noticed a slight hiss when I remove the cap to check the level...I have not lost any fluid since replacing the cap. Also the coolant level should be between the horizontal marks on the red level checker bobble thing...if that red level checker jumps up to it's limit when you take the cap off you have way too much fluid.
This is excellent information. The diagram on mine was all dusty and it was dark when I topped it off. Looks like I'll be pulling out the ol' siphon to remove some fluid because I definitely filled it to the top of the float (Yikes) While the engine was cold. I'll be doing that today. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

I did notice a nice hiss when I removed the lid (Engine cold) which shows I'm building and holding coolant pressure.
Appreciate 0