XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Here's what I wrote quickly in the N20 thread on the Z4, probably more appropriate here. A few more comments are added.....

Well I drove the X1 the other day (they're already here in Canada). As for the looks...it's OK, will have to get used to it. It's comfortable inside and small like a 1 series. Rides well. Handles well. Nice and quiet. But that's the tough part. The motor was strong enough but it's quiet.....very quiet. The 6 cyl growl is completely gone. BMW should have done some exhaust tuning. I drove an X3 with the N55 the week before and couldn't get over the power. It would definately be my vehicle of choice between the two but....the fuel economy thing keeps rearing its ugly head and I'll have to ask myself if I need that kind of power (read fun) for a daily driver sport ute.

Up here "in the north", we're at almost $1.50/litre for Premium which this thing takes. If you do the math, one again us lucky devils in Canada are paying more, way more for the equivalent of a gallon. Nevertheless, both of us are screwed and we're approaching the $$ I paid for the M3 during E.D. last year. So when it comes down to it, when my sport ute replacement comes due next year, I'll probably consider either the X1 if it's the only "ute" with the new 4 cyl. If they drop it into the X3 (which I love, turbo version is fantastic), even better.

The price of gas ain't going down anytime soon and with the M3 in the family, its time to start re-thinking things.

Hey...on a happy note, I drove the Mini Countryman S (AWD version) almost back to back with the X1. Night and day. Sadly, with that silly, rackety console/accessory type thing in the middle of it, it sounds and feels a little cheap. Having previously had 2 Mini's in the family this was really disappointing 'cause they were both as tight and rattle-free as a drum. As both of these vehicles (the X1 and the Countryman) share some componentry, the X1 is by far the better choice IMO.

Looking forward to more of the new N20 but as I said, the "feel" and the "sound" (crucial to BMW-philes) needs some work. Another alternative for me next year will be the new 3 series wagon, in X-Drive of course, but if mkoesel is correct (which he is quite often) and it won't be coming, once again the X1 will be the vehicle of choice for those looking for "ute" capabilities in something more efficient.

Time will tell.....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
brio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcourville View Post
I would just hope that you get an X1 at all before asking for an N55.
I seriously don't think the X1 will be coming to the US. BMWNA would much rather push their newly redesigned X3 and the F30 when it's released. Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Here's what I wrote quickly in the N20 thread on the Z4, probably more appropriate here. A few more comments are added.....
Great post, Mark. We, too, are looking to change things up next time around vehicle-wise and so a small 4 cylinder SUV is likely in the cards in the next year or two. It was nice to read your mini X1 review, especially the comparison with Countryman.

BTW, the X3 should be getting the N20 late this year if SCOTT is correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brio View Post
I seriously don't think the X1 will be coming to the US. BMWNA would much rather push their newly redesigned X3 and the F30 when it's released. Just my $0.02
Oh, I don't think that's very likely. I agree BMW wants to push the X3 right now (said as much in a recent post), but at some point they are going to need a smaller SUV. The X3 is not in the lucrative "cute ute" class and BMW needs an entry there to remain competitive in the luxury light truck market. We'll get the X1 in time.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

BTW, the X3 should be getting the N20 late this year if SCOTT is correct.
Well I hope he's right. I think it'll be the perfect combo, particularly if they offer he M Sport option with this motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

http://bit.ly/e7WscH
      11-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #29
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Well I hope he's right. I think it'll be the perfect combo, particularly if they offer he M Sport option with this motor.
I agree, but I have to wonder if the n20 will have as much potential as the exiting n52. I also have to wonder if the i4 engine mentioned in DUH's link is the current n20, or if it will be a different animal.
Appreciate 0