XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

Anyone add an amp and subwoofer to their x1?

I have the base radio I believe and would really like to add a 12" subwoofer in a sealed box. Looking for suggestions on HOW exactly to accomplish this...

Here's what I plan on getting so far...
12" Dayton Audio Subwoofer wired in 2 ohm
Precision Power I650.1 - 650W at 2 ohms
http://precisionpower.com/product/i650-1/

Where's the remote wire?
Since I can't run RCAs, do I wire the HI INPUT wires? Where do I tap?

Last edited by D Unit; 12-14-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Hi-input is what you connect to your rear speaker wires for audio since you don't have any RCA's or a LOC. Your remote is located on the other side of the amp usually between + and -. You will have to find a switched 12v in the back of your car to feed into your amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Hi-input is what you connect to your rear speaker wires for audio since you don't have any RCA's or a LOC.
Makes sense. Any idea which wires and where to find them... For example, driver side B panel yellow and green wires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Your remote is located on the other side of the amp usually between + and -. You will have to find a switched 12v in the back of your car to feed into your amp.
LOL... Again, was hoping someone could tell me where to tap my remote wire. I'm really hoping there's a switched 12v in the trunk somewhere.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
kringer2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive

If the X1 is like most other BMW products the audio is most likely in the compartment where the battery is and also check the left rear cargo area. I cant help much more than that. Past BMW installs I have located the wires in those areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Hifi amp is in the left side of the cargo area behind the cargo area light.

Technic used to sell custom harnesses to use to hook up RCA cables and signal wire to the factory amp without splicing anything. I still have mine from my E90 but not sure if the E90 Hifi amp is the same as the E84 Hifi amp.

I'll post a pic of it when I get back to my car
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

I've had 2 different subwoofer setups:
Infinity Basslink and Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure
The 12 sounds great, much better than the Basslink unit and I would recommend it to anyone looking for more bass. I think the 10inch option would be fine as well. The wiring is very simple and the remote bass adjuster can be mounted in the drivers area to adjust the bass on the fly. The sub also disconnects very easily to remove as needed, the wires can just pop out and back in when installed again. If interested I can snap a pic of how it's mounted etc
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've been reading about LOCs. Seems like some LOCs have a remote-turn-on option. When wiring the LOCs, simply wire constant and ground, and then when the LOC senses audio signal, it can then provide a remote wire for an amp.

SO, since I will probably use the built in LOC on this particular amp, do I still need to wire the remote wire?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
jas_
Rep
Drives: '09 328i Convertible (e93)

these folks sell a plug and play kit to interface w/ the factory harness (no splicing required). also provides an amp turn-on lead.

https://technicpnp.com/product-category/x1-e84/

no experience with them, just had it bookmarked in case i decide to add a sub in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I have the HK audio and bought the technic kit with LOC. It's nice because it's easily reversible. The remote turn on- -I looked and looked and simply could not find the wire that was mentioned in the E90 threads. I ended up using the wire that goes to the trunk 12V port. The wire passes behind the cushion on the outside of the passenger side rear seat so that's where I tapped. The HK amp is in the drivers side cargo area so that's where I'd start to find the base amp. It's nice that you can easily find a ground in the trunk and the battery terminals are right there also. I'd find which terminals on the (+) battery are free and buy the connector with housing for it, if you want it to look clean. I ended up with a 10" JL Audio box and sub that is part of their compact series because as we all know, there is not a lot of room to spare in our trunks. It doesn't go too deep but there is plenty of 40 hz bass there.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I have the HK audio and bought the technic kit with LOC. It's nice because it's easily reversible. The remote turn on- -I looked and looked and simply could not find the wire that was mentioned in the E90 threads. I ended up using the wire that goes to the trunk 12V port. The wire passes behind the cushion on the outside of the passenger side rear seat so that's where I tapped. The HK amp is in the drivers side cargo area so that's where I'd start to find the base amp. It's nice that you can easily find a ground in the trunk and the battery terminals are right there also. I'd find which terminals on the (+) battery are free and buy the connector with housing for it, if you want it to look clean. I ended up with a 10" JL Audio box and sub that is part of their compact series because as we all know, there is not a lot of room to spare in our trunks. It doesn't go too deep but there is plenty of 40 hz bass there.
If you bought the technic kit, why did you have to hunt down your own remote wire? According to their website, their LOC provides a remote turn on.

https://technicpnp.com/product/157/
"The 480W Logic7/HK harness/LOC is exclusively designed to add an aftermarket amp to the OEM amp to power a trunk sub or/and underseat woofers. No OEM wires cut, spliced or tapped. Remote turn on signal included."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I private messaged Technic and he responded with the appropriate kit for my car. It looked more like the following:

https://technicpnp.com/product/premium-harness-wlc2i/

There was something mentioned about high voltages in my car that caused the LOC in the link you posted to burn out so the AudioControl unit was the remedy. Your best bet is to PM technic for the appropriate kit because maybe things have changed in the past 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
If you bought the technic kit, why did you have to hunt down your own remote wire? According to their website, their LOC provides a remote turn on.

https://technicpnp.com/product/157/
"The 480W Logic7/HK harness/LOC is exclusively designed to add an aftermarket amp to the OEM amp to power a trunk sub or/and underseat woofers. No OEM wires cut, spliced or tapped. Remote turn on signal included."
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
I've had 2 different subwoofer setups:
Infinity Basslink and Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure
The 12 sounds great, much better than the Basslink unit and I would recommend it to anyone looking for more bass. I think the 10inch option would be fine as well. The wiring is very simple and the remote bass adjuster can be mounted in the drivers area to adjust the bass on the fly. The sub also disconnects very easily to remove as needed, the wires can just pop out and back in when installed again. If interested I can snap a pic of how it's mounted etc
Yes, please send pics of anything you can... I'd be interested in how you mounted the box... how you wired the amp... where exactly did you find your remote wire, etc.

Quote:
I've been reading about LOCs. Seems like some LOCs have a remote-turn-on option. When wiring the LOCs, simply wire constant and ground, and then when the LOC senses audio signal, it can then provide a remote wire for an amp.

SO, since I will probably use the built in LOC on this particular amp, do I still need to wire the remote wire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I private messaged Technic and he responded with the appropriate kit for my car. It looked more like the following:

https://technicpnp.com/product/premium-harness-wlc2i/

There was something mentioned about high voltages in my car that caused the LOC in the link you posted to burn out so the AudioControl unit was the remedy. Your best bet is to PM technic for the appropriate kit because maybe things have changed in the past 2 years.
These guys must be swamped because they haven't emailed me back yet. I also read on another forum that they are backed up during the holidays...

In the meantime, I found some guy on UK ebay selling this enclosure. The conversion rate is not that bad...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Yes, please send pics of anything you can... I'd be interested in how you mounted the box... how you wired the amp... where exactly did you find your remote wire, etc.

These guys must be swamped because they haven't emailed me back yet. I also read on another forum that they are backed up during the holidays...

In the meantime, I found some guy on UK ebay selling this enclosure. The conversion rate is not that bad...
They were swamped when i ordered mine too. It took 2 weeks to get responses lol. I was actually livid at the time
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone have a HIFI amp wiring diagram? I'm just going to use the built in high inputs on my amp to tap into the underseat subwoofers. For the remote wire, I'm going to use the cigarette socket power source in the trunk area.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Found some good information posted for the e90... hopefully it is similar to the e84. Seems like I will need to tap "Amp to Speakers"

HIFI

Radio to Amplifier
FRONT LEFT
Yellow/Red +
Brown/Gold -
FRONT RIGHT
Blue/Red +
Brown/Gold -
REAR LEFT
Yellow/Black +
Brown/Gold -
REAR RIGHT
Blue/Black +
Brown/Gold -

Amplifier to Speakers
SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -
SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -

FRONT LEFT
Blue/White +
Blue/Brown -
FRONT RIGHT
Blue/Black +
Blue/Brown -
REAR LEFT
Yellow/Red +
Yellow/Brown -
REAR RIGHT
Blue/Green +
Blue/Brown -

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #16
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

If you can't find a wire to use for a "remote" turn on, there's a gadget you can get that will watch the audio signal and enable power only when an audio signal is detected. I believe I used the "PAC 7" for this in my previous car. It's tricky to get set up correctly, but once set up and installed, works fine.

This is probably the same thing mentioned above as part of the LOC. Most LOCs won't have this feature, but if you do get it all in one unit, that would be easier and cleaner.

Last edited by Vidgamer; 01-13-2017 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:27 AM   #17
eagle850
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

Replacing head uit

Hi,
I have installed an alpine amp with a 12" sub woofer but still get get any punch. Any suggestions or recommendations if its advisable to replace the head unit to an aftermarket one without losing other features?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #18
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle850 View Post
Hi,
I have installed an alpine amp with a 12" sub woofer but still get get any punch. Any suggestions or recommendations if its advisable to replace the head unit to an aftermarket one without losing other features?

cheers
Check your amp's cross over is set to low pass and crossed at 80 to 100hz or so. Also check your amp's gain. What if you plug in your phone via aux to RCA to your amp to ensure everything is working correctly. Did you use an LOC? What speaker wires did you tap to?

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is the top right silver thing the amp? I'm leaning towards "no" because I couldn't identify any speaker wires.

Last edited by D Unit; 02-07-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #20
b2schulte
Rep
Drives: bmw X1

I put the bavarian sound upgraded speakers into my stock system. I could only tell a very slight improvement in sound quality. Any recommendation on an inexpensive next step?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #21
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

Quote:
Is the top right silver thing the amp? I'm leaning towards "no" because I couldn't identify any speaker wires.

That's not the amp. The amp is located in the left rear of the trunk, behind the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #22
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I bet if you added an amp to drive the bavsound speakers it would be very noticeable.
Appreciate 0