XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

My quick X1 review

I just bought (leased actually) a X1 xDrive 28i. Coming from a 2008 E90 328i with manual transmission and sport package, here are my initial impressions:

Mine is sport line with ultimate package and heated seats, so it is missing the HID lights and HK sound system and cold weather except heated seats.

After driving it for a couple of days I would say if you want to save money start with Lines. I think I would have been perfectly happy with a no line model with ultimate package and heated seats.

In terms of mileage it is too early to say, but just looking at the mpg gauge I think it will be hard to match my 328i manual if you drive them alike. In 4 years of ownership I constantly got 26 mpg from E90. I will update this post with my mpg when I use my first tank. (please note that EPA numbers for E90 MT is 18/28, and xDrive 28i is 22/33)

You definitely feel the weight of X1 vs 328. But handling is surprisingly competitive. It is definitely not comparable to E90 on runflats, but probably comparable to E90 on regular all season tires.

Ride is much better than E90 sport package on RFTs, similar to E90 sport package on regular all seasons. I have 18 inch all seasons on my X1. I believe for areas with bad and bumpy roads the standard suspension is better, I don't want sport suspension in Bay Area roads. For smooth roads m-Sport should be OK although I didn't drive it.

Interior quality is a step down from E90 (so is F30), but electronics are similar or better than the last E90s. Mine was a pre LCI E90 so definitely tech is much better in the X1.

Wind noise is more pronounced in X1, specially around driver window, but perceived speed is actually lower. I think at 75 mph X1 feels like E90 at 70 mph. The car is more sensitive to lateral winds (this should be obvious).

Overall I think the biggest problem for me was going from MT to Auto in X1. I wish BMW had offered this car with a manual. That would have been a really fun car to drive. With auto and turbo you need to keep revs lower than 3000 rpm, otherwise you can't get good gas mileage. I believe all automatic transmissions are programmed to trick EPA test cycle. I constantly beat EPA numbers in manual cars, but have a hard time matching them in automatic cars. Otherwise I am happy with the car so far.

BTW, there is one more thing: To add some perspective, I didn't like F30 as much as I liked E90.

Hope this review helps people who are considering buying an X1. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions about the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Thanks for posting your comments.

Not getting the sport line or MSport would mean you lose the sport seats, which IMO, are well worth the extra dollars. All my BMWs have had the sport seats, and I would not be without them.

Your other interesting comment to me, is about the tranny. As you say, I wish the X1 came with a MT6 option, that would convince me to switch from my 135i as I could use the extra utility and the AWD feature. Just not crazy about getting the auto tranny tho.

I assume your 328 had the N52 engine. How does this N20 4 cylinder feel against the N52?

Thanks.
      12-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Thanks for posting your comments.

Not getting the sport line or MSport would mean you lose the sport seats, which IMO, are well worth the extra dollars. All my BMWs have had the sport seats, and I would not be without them.

Your other interesting comment to me, is about the tranny. As you say, I wish the X1 came with a MT6 option, that would convince me to switch from my 135i as I could use the extra utility and the AWD feature. Just not crazy about getting the auto tranny tho.

I assume your 328 had the N52 engine. How does this N20 4 cylinder feel against the N52?

Thanks.
I had sport seats in E90 and liked them, but in X1 I believe they make less of an impact. This is not a sport car anyway, so sport seats are not required in my opinion. Buying a BMW is a cost/features compromise for most people, so in my opinion this is where you should start cutting cost, vs not getting tech or premium packages. But I understand people have different priorities.

Unfortunately BMW doesn't offer AWD and manual in most models anymore, the only option is F30 335 which is kinda pricy. I drove a Subaru Forester manual and it was old school fun, but the engine is border line weak. There isn't any other options in US market if you need manual.

I had N52 in my 328 and I could push it and still get good mileage. I am sure N20 can be fun and it has the power, but the mileage drops quickly when you push it. You should let it loaf at 1500 rpm to get good gas mileage. Same with transmission, in sport or manual mode it could be fun, but I don't think you can get higher than 20 mpg if you drive it like that. I will experiment a little bit and update my review when I have more time with the car, but I still think this transmission which supposed to be state of the art in automatics is not a substitute for a manual.

My advise is to stick with your E82 as much as you can, X1 is no substitute. Only switch if you really really need the utility and AWD. In my case I was getting close to 100k and the car was due for new tires, battery, tune up and registration. So I thought it was a good time to upgrade. If I had spent a few thousand on those items I had to keep it for at least another 30k miles to make it work financially.

Last edited by MazdaFan; 12-20-2013 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Added some comments regarding previous post
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I had sport seats in E90 and liked them, but in X1 I believe they make less of an impact. This is not a sport car anyway, so sport seats are not required in my opinion. Buying a BMW is a cost/features compromise for most people, so in my opinion this is where you should start cutting cost, vs not getting tech or premium packages. But I understand people have different priorities.

Unfortunately BMW doesn't offer AWD and manual in most models anymore, the only option is F30 335 which is kinda pricy. I drove a Subaru Forester manual and it was old school fun, but the engine is border line weak. There isn't any other options in US market if you need manual.

I had N52 in my 328 and I could push it and still get good mileage. I am sure N20 can be fun and it has the power, but the mileage drops quickly when you push it. You should let it loaf at 1500 rpm to get good gas mileage. Same with transmission, in sport or manual mode it could be fun, but I don't think you can get higher than 20 mpg if you drive it like that. I will experiment a little bit and update my review when I have more time with the car, but I still think this transmission which supposed to be state of the art in automatics is not a substitute for a manual.

My advise is to stick with your E82 as much as you can, X1 is no substitute. Only switch if you really really need the utility and AWD. In my case I was getting close to 100k and the car was due for new tires, battery, tune up and registration. So I thought it was a good time to upgrade. If I had spent a few thousand on those items I had to keep it for at least another 30k miles to make it work financially.
Yes, I really enjoy my 135i 6MT, and if we get a dog again, I guess I could flop the rear seats down, put a cover over that area, and haul the dog that way. Not quite as good as letting the dog get into the hatch area tho. AWD is nice for the winter months up here, but one can live without it, and I learned to drive old school with only RWD cars, only two snow tires on the rear, and a weight in the trunk. My 135i doesn't have many kms on it, so will likely keep it. The biggest issue is the auto vs manual for me.
      12-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

I don't think you will have trouble seeing 26 mpg once everything is broken in, especially if you're not carrying many passengers and cargo. I consistently get 25 mpg w/ two and sometimes three passengers and driving like a maniac.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
I don't think you will have trouble seeing 26 mpg once everything is broken in, especially if you're not carrying many passengers and cargo. I consistently get 25 mpg w/ two and sometimes three passengers and driving like a maniac.
Certainly hope this is so; mediocre gas mileage is my only real gripe so far; I've been trying to put some break-in miles on mine with the mild weather we've had the last couple days.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
My computer shows an average of 27.0 over just under 12000 kms
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

I appreciate the review on what the X1 lacks compared to the e90 328i, but I don't think the review has any positives for the X1. It basically sounded like how your previous 328i is better than the X1 in every dimension except the hatch versatility and AWD.

First off, the X1 28i has 248 ft-Ibs at just 1250rpm, which is 48 more than the 328i 200ft-Ibs at 2750rpm. I'm pretty sure this makes the X1 better in everyday driving than the 328i.

Secondly, I think you can drive the x1 pretty hard and it can still get pretty good gas mileage. I get 10L/100km, my friends get around 11L/100km, don't know the american mpg. The car will let you know when you get the chance to test it. To put in prospective, my previous honda accord 4 cylinders got the same mileage.

Finally, I think the interior quality of the X1 is on par with your previous 3 series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the upper dash, side door trim are all soft touch materials, except the lower dash part. I can see if you find the material quality is a bit poor if coming from a 5 series or 7 series, but a 3 series?

Only gripe I have with the X1 is the lack of power liftgate/ proper handle for closing the trunk and the aftermarket looking cupholder.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Trout34
Fly fisher
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XI SE petrol

Had my X1 1000 miles 30.7 mpg it must get better
Biggest grumble folding mirrors don't close when you lock the car
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I just bought (leased actually) a X1 xDrive 28i. Coming from a 2008 E90 328i with manual transmission and sport package, here are my initial impressions:

Mine is sport line with ultimate package and heated seats, so it is missing the HID lights and HK sound system and cold weather except heated seats.

After driving it for a couple of days I would say if you want to save money start with Lines. I think I would have been perfectly happy with a no line model with ultimate package and heated seats.

In terms of mileage it is too early to say, but just looking at the mpg gauge I think it will be hard to match my 328i manual if you drive them alike. In 4 years of ownership I constantly got 26 mpg from E90. I will update this post with my mpg when I use my first tank. (please note that EPA numbers for E90 MT is 18/28, and xDrive 28i is 22/33)

You definitely feel the weight of X1 vs 328. But handling is surprisingly competitive. It is definitely not comparable to E90 on runflats, but probably comparable to E90 on regular all season tires.

Ride is much better than E90 sport package on RFTs, similar to E90 sport package on regular all seasons. I have 18 inch all seasons on my X1. I believe for areas with bad and bumpy roads the standard suspension is better, I don't want sport suspension in Bay Area roads. For smooth roads m-Sport should be OK although I didn't drive it.

Interior quality is a step down from E90 (so is F30), but electronics are similar or better than the last E90s. Mine was a pre LCI E90 so definitely tech is much better in the X1.

Wind noise is more pronounced in X1, specially around driver window, but perceived speed is actually lower. I think at 75 mph X1 feels like E90 at 70 mph. The car is more sensitive to lateral winds (this should be obvious).

Overall I think the biggest problem for me was going from MT to Auto in X1. I wish BMW had offered this car with a manual. That would have been a really fun car to drive. With auto and turbo you need to keep revs lower than 3000 rpm, otherwise you can't get good gas mileage. I believe all automatic transmissions are programmed to trick EPA test cycle. I constantly beat EPA numbers in manual cars, but have a hard time matching them in automatic cars. Otherwise I am happy with the car so far.

BTW, there is one more thing: To add some perspective, I didn't like F30 as much as I liked E90.

Hope this review helps people who are considering buying an X1. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions about the car.
you are compering the two together is like compering apples to oranges, they are two completely different vehicle. they perform and handle completely different
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Actually the X1 is a modified E91 waggon with a lot of shared tech. So the comparison actually _makes_ sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1963 View Post
I appreciate the review on what the X1 lacks compared to the e90 328i, but I don't think the review has any positives for the X1. It basically sounded like how your previous 328i is better than the X1 in every dimension except the hatch versatility and AWD.

First off, the X1 28i has 248 ft-Ibs at just 1250rpm, which is 48 more than the 328i 200ft-Ibs at 2750rpm. I'm pretty sure this makes the X1 better in everyday driving than the 328i.

Secondly, I think you can drive the x1 pretty hard and it can still get pretty good gas mileage. I get 10L/100km, my friends get around 11L/100km, don't know the american mpg. The car will let you know when you get the chance to test it. To put in prospective, my previous honda accord 4 cylinders got the same mileage.

Finally, I think the interior quality of the X1 is on par with your previous 3 series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the upper dash, side door trim are all soft touch materials, except the lower dash part. I can see if you find the material quality is a bit poor if coming from a 5 series or 7 series, but a 3 series?

Only gripe I have with the X1 is the lack of power liftgate/ proper handle for closing the trunk and the aftermarket looking cupholder.
I appreciate your input but I think I was misunderstood. I am simply comparing driving experience of my old E90 vs X1. It is not a critical review of X1, I believe the combination of utility, AWD, and price makes it the best deal available, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

At the same time, I think it is pretty accurate to say that the main advantages of X1 over 3 series are utility, ground clearance and convenience of getting in/out of the car.

My biggest gripe with X1 is lack of a manual transmission. I am sure going from an auto 3 series to X1 is a much closer experience. As I said before I am impressed by X1 ride quality and handling.

In terms of interior quality I believe both X1 and F30 are a step down from E90, the quality of soft touch materials and hard plastics is definitely lower. X1 feels more plasticky and less insulated inside (what is that foam around steering column, is it 1980s all over again?). You might not notice it because engine revs lower on highway, but wind noise is more noticeable. They have better technology, so depending on your priorities you might like the old or the new one better. Keep in mind that my 328 was 5k more expensive in 2008 than my X1 in 2013 (47.5 vs 42.5 MSRP). About half of the difference was due to features (active steering, HK sound and HIDs but no backup camera or parking sensors), so lower material quality in X1 is justified and accepted. Heck My heavily optioned X1 is same price as a base 328ix touring with identical drivetrain.

BTW there is one more thing, I transferred my cargo tray with all the junk on it from 328 to X1. It is a decent fit. The cargo hold in X1 is about 2 inch shorter than E90 trunk, so I just folded the lip behind back seats and I was good to go! (Note: I measured again and the trunk is about 2 inches shorter, previously I said 1 inch w/o actually measuring it)

Last edited by MazdaFan; 12-22-2013 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Corrected the measurement
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your input but I think I was misunderstood. I am simply comparing driving experience of my old E90 vs X1. It is not a critical review of X1, I believe the combination of utility, AWD, and price makes it the best deal available, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

At the same time, I think it is pretty accurate to say that the main advantages of X1 over 3 series are utility, ground clearance and convenience of getting in/out of the car.

My biggest gripe with X1 is lack of a manual transmission. I am sure going from an auto 3 series to X1 is a much closer experience. As I said before I am impressed by X1 ride quality and handling.

In terms of interior quality I believe both X1 and F30 are a step down from E90, the quality of soft touch materials and hard plastics is definitely lower. X1 feels more plasticky and less insulated inside (what is that foam around steering column, is it 1980s all over again?). You might not notice it because engine revs lower on highway, but wind noise is more noticeable. They have better technology, so depending on your priorities you might like the old or the new one better. Keep in mind that my 328 was 5k more expensive in 2008 than my X1 in 2013 (47.5 vs 42.5 MSRP). About half of the difference was due to features (active steering, HK sound and HIDs but no backup camera or parking sensors), so lower material quality in X1 is justified and accepted. Heck My heavily optioned X1 is same price as a base 328ix touring with identical drivetrain.

BTW there is one more thing, I transferred my cargo tray with all the junk on it from 328 to X1. It is a decent fit. The cargo hold in X1 is about 1 inch shorter than E90 trunk, so I just folded the lip behind back seats and I was good to go!
I believe you about the lower interior quality because you have owned a e90 in the past and I didn't. Anyway, can't believe an X1 is cheaper than a 3 series back in 2008. I thought car price jacked up quite a lot since then.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe you about the lower interior quality because you have owned a e90 in the past and I didn't. Anyway, can't believe an X1 is cheaper than a 3 series back in 2008. I thought car price jacked up quite a lot since then.
Yes, it doesn't make sense but recession and cheap money has made this possible. I believe all X1 trims and 320i and ix models are very good values. You can get a nicely optioned 320 or X1 for about 34k before taxes. A fully loaded X1 xDrive28i can be bought just below 40k. My co-worker's Kia Sportage SUV cost him 28k. You can get an X1 with a couple of fewer options for 32k.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it doesn't make sense but recession and cheap money has made this possible. I believe all X1 trims and 320i and ix models are very good values. You can get a nicely optioned 320 or X1 for about 34k before taxes. A fully loaded X1 xDrive28i can be bought just below 40k. My co-worker's Kia Sportage SUV cost him 28k. You can get an X1 with a couple of fewer options for 32k.
Yea that's what so good about the X1, if you just want the X1 for its engine, transmission, and german brand status, you don't have to break your wallet. It's priced in the range of fully loaded midsize family sedan and suvs like honda accord or ford escape.

I didn't hear any positives on the 320i, I think 60 HP less, and 50 torque less really makes a difference, unless you don't really care about acceleration. I'd rather get a X1 28i. This guy does some really good car reviews and test drives at the end. You can basically compare the acceleration between the 320i (min 8:35) and 328i (min 6:45) since he floored it in the same location. Can't wait till he reviews the x1 28i and 35i

Last edited by bill1963; 12-22-2013 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
dgkli
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 xDrive 28i MSport;

Re mpg: two cars ago, I had a pre-LCI e90 328i manual. With the same driving conditions, I get virtually the same mileage in the X1 28i as I got in the e90.

I think comparing the X1 to e90 is apt. I went from 2 e90's to the X1. I happen to disagree about the interior quality. I like the looks of the X1 interior more, though I agree the touch is not as good, but I don't think it's a significant issue. Any e90 driver would feel completely at home in an X1, as the major controls are virtually identical.

Fwiw, after 70,000 miles in my two e90s and 10,000 in the X1, if you lined the three up and asked me which one I wanted to keep, it would be the X1 hands down.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkli View Post
Fwiw, after 70,000 miles in my two e90s and 10,000 in the X1, if you lined the three up and asked me which one I wanted to keep, it would be the X1 hands down.
Why? I also had an E90; a 2008 328XI manual with the sport package and not much else. I'm just curious about your impressions. I happen to agree with your conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
dgkli
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 xDrive 28i MSport;

Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
Why? I also had an E90; a 2008 328XI manual with the sport package and not much else. I'm just curious about your impressions. I happen to agree with your conclusion.
OK, by definition, being what I personally would choose, I will give you my criteria, keeping in mind this is for the daily driver of someone who averages about 300 miles/week of suburban driving/commuting with occasional extended trips and rare country-road driving. No off-road, no racing. My typical commute includes 10 -15 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic and 10-15 minutes of relative unconstrained highway driving. Most of the time I'm the sole occupant; most of the rest of the time I have one passenger. But, must be able to candle a total of 4 occupants for decent length drives. Also keep in mind that I have a 6MT Miata in the garage.

More or less in order of priority, but all important (these are my criteria for a car, not the characteristics of any given car):

1. Fun to drive. This means I look forward to getting into it and driving it; good steering and brake feel, reasonably quick, agile handling, comfortable seats, good audio.
2. Decent looking inside and out.
3. Useful tech; acceptable device linkage, good displays (on BMWs, I include things like rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirrors, iDrive, automatic hi-beams, comfort access, 8-speed tranny, great heated seats). I really don't need or want lane-keeping assist.)
4. Well screwed together, solid.
5. 4+ doors, room for 4 occupants.
6. No bigger than it needs to be.
7. Decent fuel mileage.
8. Can handle bad weather and unfavorable driving conditions. I include the swiveling HID headlights and awd here. For me, good steering feel goes into this category (besides fun to drive). I put a raised seating position here too.
9. Versatile carrying capacity. Prefer 5-door layout if possible, must have fold-down rear seats. I've always preferred hatch/wagon style, but not to the exclusion of my other priorities. (I've owned, in the past, a Volvo wagon, a Rabbit, a Mazda GLC and Protege 5, and a Grand Cherokee).
10. Good outward visibility.
11. Reasonable reliability.
12. Good ergonomics

Other issues considered: extended service intervals, warranty/maintenance policies, how pleasant it is to spend time in dealerships, RFT's (a negative!).

OK, put all this together, and here are examples of cars I would consider:
X1, 3-series (including wagon), X3; Mazda 3, 6, CX5; GTI; A3, A4, Q5; Focus, Escape, Fusion; ATS, CTS; Volvo S60; Infiniti I, G37; CRV; Acura RSX, ILX, TSX; Buick Regal. I'm probably missing a couple.

So, you can see, a number of these are cars that you would not think would be cross-shopped, but by my criteria, none of these is out of the question.

As to brands, I tend to find appealing, BMW's, VW's/Audis, and Mazdas, as by my standards, these companies "get it." I also kind of like Volvos (well, some of them).

Given my criteria, the X1 xDrive, of all available vehicles, wins for me, and I don't regret that decision. It's only a matter of juggling priorities a bit to see why an X1 and a 3-series can both qualify. I really dislike the BMW EPS so that drops most other BMW's in my rankings quite a bit.

Anyway, at the top of the list when I bought the X1 were the X1 and a 3-series. The wagon wasn't quite yet available, but if not for the EPS I might have waited.

In the end, why do I prefer the X1 to my E90s? For my driving, I prefer the ride/handling balance of the X1. I love the steering. I like having the extra 3 inches or so of height when stuck in traffic or driving in bad weather. I like the 5-door form factor. For the same price as a modestly-optioned wagon, I could get a loaded X1. I look forward to getting into the car every drive. It carries almost everything I need carried. The seats are comfortable, I like the looks (actually love the red interior with real aluminum (I hate fake metal accents which so many cars seem to have. The audio is pretty good, the steering wheel is great, the transmission is excellent.

My last 3-series was a 335d (unfortunately, no sport package and the base radio with iDrive). I really liked that car, but it always felt a little heavy to me (not athletic like my earlier e90 or my e46). I think the X1 actually handles better. The earlier e90 felt athletic, but the X1's ride is much better. (My E46 may actually have been my favorite bimmer, but I like having the tech and more powerful engines of the newer ones).

I wonder it that answers your question?

Last edited by dgkli; 12-23-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

I wanted a 5 series wagon, having gotten rid of my E61 a couple of years ago,, but alas, the smart Germains decided to bring the 5GT here instead...

I went to look at a 2012 E91 loaded at a local BMW dealership...After I spent about 2 hours driving and looking at it, the CA steered me to look at the X1 also... He indicated it was built on the same chassis...

After a drive in his personal X1 ( I know I wanted the MSport package, which he had but the dealership did not) I was sold... I spent the next few months looking at other cars but kept coming back to the X1...

Once i decided on the X1, i thought i would get the S28i with MSport and Ultimate... that is until I drove the 35i...

So we have a 35i Ultimate Msport... which will be going to my daughter in a couple of years when she goes off to school...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I wanted a 5 series wagon, having gotten rid of my E61 a couple of years ago,, but alas, the smart Germains decided to bring the 5GT here instead...

I went to look at a 2012 E91 loaded at a local BMW dealership...After I spent about 2 hours driving and looking at it, the CA steered me to look at the X1 also... He indicated it was built on the same chassis...

After a drive in his personal X1 ( I know I wanted the MSport package, which he had but the dealership did not) I was sold... I spent the next few months looking at other cars but kept coming back to the X1...

Once i decided on the X1, i thought i would get the S28i with MSport and Ultimate... that is until I drove the 35i...

So we have a 35i Ultimate Msport... which will be going to my daughter in a couple of years when she goes off to school...
all I have to say is your daughter is very lucky...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
all I have to say is your daughter is very lucky...
Thanks...Its compact, safe and cool...She is a great kid!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Actually the X1 is a modified E91 waggon with a lot of shared tech. So the comparison actually _makes_ sense.
again they are fruits,but they are two different fruits. no comparison, one is a E84 and one is a E91.... an X1 is a sav and a E91 is a touring wagan... they handle and drive like two different cars. i have had a E90 and now i have a E88 and an E84, the reason i have an E84 is because its what the E82,E88, E90 E91 is not....
Appreciate 0