XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
I don't think there are sensors on the wheels? I thought the tire pressure monitor worked by measuring rotational speed.
A Canada vs US difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
A Canada vs US difference.
My bride's Audi uses rotational speed to determine tire pressure problems; it seems a good system, and requires no reset when changing from winter to summer tires.
I don't understand why more makers don't use this system; it seems to have a lot going for it.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #25
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Interesting. I live in Charlotte and Tuesday morning it was down to 6 Deg F. Got in car and got low pressure warning for all four wheels. They look fine and car drove fine so I proceded cautiously to work. When I got home that afternoon it had warmed up to 27 Deg F. I let tires cool and checked pressure. To my surprise they were spot on the correct tire pressure, not low a bit. I'm finding it hard to believe that a Delta T of 21 degrees would be enough to trigger the warning. I did the reset thing and all has been well since then
The colder temp difference you are describing are enough to cause enough of a psi drop.

As for the pressure check that was made this afternoon I bet though you thought the tires were cold they there were not. Check in the morning and see. I bet the pressure will be down a few psi down.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #26
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quick question for you all:

Are you supposed to follow BMW's recommendation and fill the fronts up more than the rear (can't remember exactly, but I think it's 28psi front/35psi rear)? Also, if this isn't the case and one is supposed to fill all 4 of them to 35psi, would this go for aftermarket wheels and tires as well, or not?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #27
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
With aftermarket wheels, go with what's on your door jamb. I would monitor wear and adjust as needed.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #28
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
I don't think there are sensors on the wheels? I thought the tire pressure monitor worked by measuring rotational speed.
To be honest, I never open the oem wheels with RFT so I don't know, but I do know that my M wheels with Non-RFT don't have sensors.

From the X1 manual:

The system must have been reset while the inflation pressure was correct; otherwise, reliable signaling of a flat tire is not ensured.
Always use wheels with TPM electronics to ensure that the system will operate properly.
Reset the system after each correction of the tire inflation pressure and after every tire or wheel change."

Pag79
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #29
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
With aftermarket wheels, go with what's on your door jamb. I would monitor wear and adjust as needed.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Squishy, you may well want to tune your car's handling as well if you go with tires other than runflats...I've read here that using other than runflats may lead to increased understeer; a situation perhaps helped by putting more air in the front tires than is called for on the door jamb.
Several million years ago, in college with my VW Bug, I found I could settle its desire to oversteer excessively by putting extra air in the rear tires...
Carmakers all have their own theories on the matter; my bride's A4 Audi calls for substantially more air in the front tires...
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #31
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

The temps are getting back to the normal winter temp of 50 so I will check the pressure tomorrow and adjust accordingly. I really haven't noticed any difference in handling of the car during this time.
Appreciate 0