XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Car Advice interviews Frank Van Meel. A BMW supercar unlikely

Quote:
BMW says it would rather build high-performance cars for the masses rather than focus its efforts on producing a super sports car or supercar to compete with the likes of the recently unveiled super-limited Mercedes-AMG Project One, or the AMG GT lineup and Audi’s R8 range.

Speaking to the Australian media in Munich today, the boss of BMW’s M Division, Frank Van Meel, said that his brand is maintaining its focus on reaching as many people with its cars as possible, rather than focusing on small niche vehicles.

“We are trying to make cars for customers, and trying to reach as many customers as possible – but to build a car for 200 people would not be our main target,” Van Meel said.

Mercedes-AMG has confirmed it will build around 250 examples of the Project One worldwide, with all examples already sold. Local pricing for the Formula-One-based hypercar is expected to be in the multiple millions, with less than 10 examples destined for Australia.

“Of course, it’s a dream for every engineer to do such a thing, we are always dreaming about something like that. But, to be honest, instead of having one flagship, we would rather have an armada of fast vessels to attack a broader range of possible customer groups.”

According to Van Meel, BMW M has the capacity to build its own unique platform and compete directly against the likes of the Audi R8 and Mercedes-AMG GT-S, but that is not what the company stands for.

"Yes, it could be possible yes, because we do have the engineering power – but if you look at the tradition of M, we came from being the first company to take a series production car and making a high-performance car out of that, and it was copied by a lot of other companies, also AMG.

“That’s what we stand for and what we grew up with and what is expected from us. Of course, it is always the question of ‘can’t you do this or that’, because someone else has this or that, but I don’t see the need for M to make such a very niche product.”

Van Meel says BMW has nothing to prove with a supercar, having already established itself as the manufacturer of the ‘ultimate driving machine’.

“I think also M is the ultimate driving machine, and I don’t need something to make clear that we really are the ultimate driving machine. We have the M2 to the X6 M to say that – I don’t need a halo car to bring out the message. I don’t feel the need to have a halo car.

“I would like to make one personally, because it’s fun to do, but we don’t have the necessity,” he added.

The upcoming BMW M8 may well have to serve as the performance brand’s range topping model for the time being, with any chance of a successor to the mighty BMW M1 rather unlikely for the foreseeable future.

“Definitely the M8 will be a very, very interesting car, very fast… of course the M1 is the only thing where I must say is something I would really love to do – another M1 – but again first things first.

“We are still working on broadening our product portfolio and bringing more special models, and not attacking this ‘I would like to do that because I can things’, unfortunately, because we have many other things to do right now.”
http://www.caradvice.com.au/584127/n...rcar-unlikely/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Translation: "We're content making bland cars since the public gobbles them up. And we have no interest in stretching our expertise and innovating beyond bland cars that the public will gobble up. So you'll have to look elsewhere if you want something exciting."

OK.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 4
      09-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Translation: "We're content making bland cars since the public gobbles them up. And we have no interest in stretching our expertise and innovating beyond bland cars that the public will gobble up. So you'll have to look elsewhere if you want something exciting."

OK.
Well if you read the post it says BMW M will not make those cars, doesn't say that BMW directly won't.

I think the i8 proves BMW can build something super special if they wanted too.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Bmw has taken a dirt nap
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Well if you read the post it says BMW M will not make those cars, doesn't say that BMW directly won't.

I think the i8 proves BMW can build something super special if they wanted too.
The super specialness of the i8 has worn off. It's being traded in for an AMG GT.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
The super specialness of the i8 has worn off. It's being traded in for an AMG GT.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
The i8 is still pretty special to me and I would love to own one, but it is way out of my financial capability. It must be nice to be so wealthy that you can be callous to special.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OK.
It really is unfortunate. The i8 didn't really stir the soul of many reviewers, either. The M8 won't be special. It'll be another bloated GT.

Come on BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #10
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:

OK.
LoL
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

its because they can't come up with anything relevant. seems like bmw's highest performing cars choke in every segment, with the exception being the X-suv M models.
      09-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #12
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Yes, indeed they don't need to prove anything. Because there's nothing left to prove.

BMW M sucks. He said it himself. "Armada of vessels". Lol. Let's just Sell as many boats we can.

This guy is delusional. M has pretty much nothing really exciting to look up to. Big sedans and SUVs. It's a brand that's just there to make money, as he points out. There's nothing else there. Desire to innovate, bring excitement. "Let's just get our money and move on".

The R8 and AMG GT are niche cars, that's right. But they sell a lot. There's money there too, otherwise, why would they bother building it.."brand recognition", that those halo products create, also brings customers. MB is even coming out with a 4-door version of it, something must be going right for them. I bet they profit more out of those niche cars than M with the "Xx M" for the so called masses.

I thought they were eager to make something relevant again, but I was wrong. A sub-Brand like M is not just about money. It's about brand image as well. AMG has overtaken M pretty much everywhere, especially in relevance in Motorsport as a whole. The only thing "holding" them back is that they're built on fat cars from MB.

They forgot what made them get where they are in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

The R8 and AMG GT are niche cars, that's right. But they sell a lot. There's money there too, otherwise, why would they bother building it.."brand recognition", that those halo products create, also brings customers.
I dont know if the r8 and amg gt sell a lot or are directly profiteable, but they sure serve as an anchor point for style/design and brand image.
You can see that especially with mercedes where merc. SLR style front design elements were incorporated in the then models (especially slk/sl), and following the same for the SLS and now for the AMG GT.
So designchange in especially grilles, bumpers etc are set by the design of those cars. And consumers like design elements of supercars in their own cars I imagine

But bmw never really entered that market (maybe except for the m1 but that was born out of homologation, not out of design/marketing) and yet the m3 class usually outsells their competitors globally. (I dont know if this is still the case anno 2017 though)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #14
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

The R8 and AMG GT are niche cars, that's right. But they sell a lot. There's money there too, otherwise, why would they bother building it.."brand recognition", that those halo products create, also brings customers.
I dont know if the r8 and amg gt sell a lot or are directly profiteable, but they sure serve as an anchor point for style/design and brand image.
You can see that especially with mercedes where merc. SLR style front design elements were incorporated in the then models (especially slk/sl), and following the same for the SLS and now for the AMG GT.
So designchange in especially grilles, bumpers etc are set by the design of those cars. And consumers like design elements of supercars in their own cars I imagine

But bmw never really entered that market (maybe except for the m1 but that was born out of homologation, not out of design/marketing) and yet the m3 class usually outsells their competitors globally. (I dont know if this is still the case anno 2017 though)
I don't know about the M3 outselling the C63 nowadays, but I can imagine they must be pretty close to each other.

Indeed BMW only had the M1 in this segment. But that's what really brought excitement to the brand.

Audi never had competed in this segment, and recently started to do so, and I'm confident the R8 not only is profitable, but brings customers to the brand, and boosts the image considerably.

It's not because you only "made" one car (M1) in this segment that you can't play in it and be profitable. Everyone wants to see what M can do there, given their M1 background. And I bet that if you can't buy one, the chance for you to buy any other M product just because you know what they are capable of, gets higher. Ask AMG.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #15
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Audi and Merc have inferiority complex - their VW crap and garbage trucks that Merc builds lol - they need urgency to make something that will say "hey, we can have good cars too"

While BMW don't have VW or garbage trucks lol - it just builds cars that people buy and have fun driving. Yes, non M cars are made softer - only because people like it - don't blame BMW - look in the mirror and blame the person you will see

BTW I'm liking my soft x5 50i very much and I can smoke 95% of Audis or Merc on the road in my 7 seater lol (don't even need X5M for that) - that means BMW is still making fine and fast cars after all. YMMV

That been said BMW is bringing back CSL!!!!!!!! http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...34460/bmw-csl/
Now that car is heads and heads above in driving fun than anything that Audi or Merc can create in near future
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Audi and Merc have inferiority complex - their VW crap and garbage trucks that Merc builds lol - they need urgency to make something that will say "hey, we can have good cars too" ...

... Now that car is heads and heads above in driving fun than anything that Audi or Merc can create in near future
My god, how clueless and myopic can someone be?

The R8 was possible because VW AG owned Lambo. That's the bottom line.

The various AMG/M-B supercars of recent years were/are possible because Mercedes competes -- and dominates -- in F1 and several other racing circuits. That's the bottom line.

Both cars above are also possible because the respective parent companies are, depending on what measure one chooses, at least two and a half times larger than BMW is. BMW has no parent company and must compete on a significantly smaller investment timescale while expanding the core business to remain competitive in key markets. In other words: BMW has to pick its spots; VW AG and M-B don't.

BMW won't make a supercar because it can't afford it. Period.
Appreciate 3
      09-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #17
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Audi and Merc have inferiority complex - their VW crap and garbage trucks that Merc builds lol - they need urgency to make something that will say "hey, we can have good cars too"

While BMW don't have VW or garbage trucks lol - it just builds cars that people buy and have fun driving. Yes, non M cars are made softer - only because people like it - don't blame BMW - look in the mirror and blame the person you will see

BTW I'm liking my soft x5 50i very much and I can smoke 95% of Audis or Merc on the road in my 7 seater lol (don't even need X5M for that) - that means BMW is still making fine and fast cars after all. YMMV

That been said BMW is bringing back CSL!!!!!!!! http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...34460/bmw-csl/
Now that car is heads and heads above in driving fun than anything that Audi or Merc can create in near future
What did I just read?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
PDOT114.50
      09-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
What did I just read?

Someone has a case of the Mondays ...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
What did I just read?

Someone has a case of the Mondays ...
I wish it was the case of the Monday's. I nominate that post for worst post of 2017. A 340 would out handle and out pace 95% of cars on the road. The limits of the car go beyond the road. He's talking about a V8 SUV smoking cars.

BMW is scaling slowly. Not sure it is economically feasible for them to have a super/hyper car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      09-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #20
MSups6
Banned
Rep
Drives: Supra, Former Msport 435

Truth lies somewhere in between more or less that they simply have no faith in them selves to build and sale a super car.

They don't have it in them.
Appreciate 0