Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
green333
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

Fair price on this X1?

Hey guys,

First time posting here.

My mom's 2012 X1 xDrive 28i is up for sale, she said I can buy it for $15000 Cdn (We live in Vancouver, BC). I don't need family discount as long as it's a fair price. I'm interested in buying it because I know the car's condition, history and how it was being driven (she's a pretty gentle driver).

Here is the detail of the car:

2012 X1 xDrive 28i base model with 8 speed auto.

The only option that it has is power heated front seats with memory.

No premium package ($1500 when new).

No navigation package ($2000 when new) or any other packages / options.

It currently has 63500km (about 40000 miles). Out of warranty already.

Car just got new Michelin pilot sport AS 3 tires installed about 1000 miles (1600 km) ago, my mom paid around $1000.

Brakes haven't been replaced since new ( I think it has anywhere between 10-30% life left now so I will need to change them soon. Dealer here charges $1830 for all 4 rotors and pads as a local has pointed out in another thread).

Car has no issues or accidents so far except for a tiny front windshield crack at the bottom (very unnoticeable ).

So should I buy this car at $15000 given its current condition? Or get some $ off since the brakes need to be done soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #2
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

You know, mine is fully loaded and of course I will ask a lot more. However, even if is basic, X1 E84 is a very nice machine.

Mine is the same year and same mileage and I think that you are getting a very good price. The big advantage is that you know very well the car, the history and how it was maintained.

If you are happy with the options, or just works fine for you, I think that is a good price.
Brakes and other things are normal wear and tear things, at that mileage you can expect with any car. At least you know that you will install OEM parts and will not get some non-OEM parts that are installed just for resale.

If the cars suits your needs, go for it.
Almost any car at that age is out of warranty, mine is too, yet we decided to keep the bad boy, brought us good year of happiness and trouble free. If you will maintain it properly, should serve you well for few years.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
green333
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
You know, mine is fully loaded and of course I will ask a lot more. However, even if is basic, X1 E84 is a very nice machine.

Mine is the same year and same mileage and I think that you are getting a very good price. The big advantage is that you know very well the car, the history and how it was maintained.

If you are happy with the options, or just works fine for you, I think that is a good price.
Brakes and other things are normal wear and tear things, at that mileage you can expect with any car. At least you know that you will install OEM parts and will not get some non-OEM parts that are installed just for resale.

Almost any car at that age is out of warranty, mine is too, yet we decided to keep the bad boy, brought us good year of happiness and trouble free. If you will maintain it properly, should serve you well for few years.

Yea, as strange as it might sounds, I don't need the bells and the whistles. So it's good with me.

But when I searched on autotrader and craigslist, all the 2012 X1s that popped up have at least a premium package, most have premium package + nav package, so it's really hard for me to gauge how much my mom's car goes for since she has the most basic one. The used 2012 X1s with diff packages that are for sale range from $16000-$21000. My mom's car seems like a unicorn, I have yet to see a 2012 X1 (bigger side mirror) without the panoramic sunroof, aluminum roof rails (premium package).

Have you changed your brakes btw?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
JetCityMC
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by green333 View Post
Quote:

Yea, as strange as it might sounds, I don't need the bells and the whistles. So it's good with me.

But when I searched on autotrader and craigslist, all the 2012 X1s that popped up have at least a premium package, most have premium package + nav package, so it's really hard for me to gauge how much my mom's car goes for since she has the most basic one. The used 2012 X1s with diff packages that are for sale range from $16000-$21000. My mom's car seems like a unicorn, I have yet to see a 2012 X1 (bigger side mirror) without the panoramic sunroof, aluminum roof rails (premium package).

Someone would pay more money by just not knowing what they are looking at.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Have you tried to get the front windshield crack patched to keep it from spreading?

I would use a couple of the online sites that estimate the values of cars, but I don't know what is applicable in Canada. Still, seems like it would be in the ballpark. X1s without all of the fancy options should sell for less. (Things like the premium package [or whatever it's called], 35i, etc., should add many thousands to the price.) Also, private sellers should sell for less than dealers, especially dealer advertised prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Here's my conclusion as to "should I buy it?" I say yes, as long as you have the $15,000 plus some in reserve for inevitable maintenance and/or potential problems. If you don't have the rainy-day-fund, then get something that's cheaper to repair, and costs a lot less, so that you can save money for any needed repairs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

That's cheap, take it.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by green333 View Post

Mine had a specific recall and BMW replaced the brakes at 30.000k for free.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Mine had a specific recall and BMW replaced the brakes at 30.000k for free.
What was wrong with your brakes?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
What was wrong with your brakes?
I was complaining that they are squeaking very bad, they told me that there is a replacement at no cost for me so I did not put any more questions. All I know is that they don't squeak anymore and I have almost zero braking dust (the old ones drove me crazy). Since then I was a happy guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #11
green333
Rep

Quote:
I was complaining that they are squeaking very bad, they told me that there is a replacement at no cost for me so I did not put any more questions. All I know is that they don't squeak anymore and I have almost zero braking dust (the old ones drove me crazy). Since then I was a happy guy.
interesting... My mom's X1 also squeaks most of time, talked to the dealer before, they said it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #12
green333
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Here's my conclusion as to "should I buy it?" I say yes, as long as you have the $15,000 plus some in reserve for inevitable maintenance and/or potential problems. If you don't have the rainy-day-fund, then get something that's cheaper to repair, and costs a lot less, so that you can save money for any needed repairs.
thx for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
green333
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's cheap, take it.
appreciate the comment!
Appreciate 0