XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

02-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I went to a very small local shop here where I live in Texas. I prefer small shops, great prices, and good work that they rely on for repeat business and customer referrals. I honestly get compliments on it all the time, especially from strangers when it starts up. I always feel compelled to tell them it's just a muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #24
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMGRT View Post
I went to a very small local shop here where I live in Texas. I prefer small shops, great prices, and good work that they rely on for repeat business and customer referrals. I honestly get compliments on it all the time, especially from strangers when it starts up. I always feel compelled to tell them it's just a muffler delete.
okay perfect! how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #25
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I was charged 50 usd. That's a steal around here where I'm from. Especially for the results!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #26
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was charged 50 usd. That's a steal around here where I'm from. Especially for the results!
Did you remove the 2nd muffler?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #27
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanpaglia
Quote:
Did you remove the 2nd muffler?
Is there another muffler? All I know is, I had the big one, that hangs down, and is nearest to the exhaust tips, removed.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #28
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is there another muffler? All I know is, I had the big one, that hangs down, and is nearest to the exhaust tips, removed.
yeh there is one right before the resonator? right?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #29
aniks
Rep
Drives: F30, MG 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanpaglia View Post
Apparently that one is a second resonator. I went to a local exhaust shop today to see what they recommended. They told me that they had experiences with a bunch of 328's and muffler deletes and that people complained that they were just too loud. They even took off the second resonator and turned the car on as if it were to just have a straight pipe back. And in my opinion it was too loud.

So in the end they convinced me to get a resonator delete.

The verdict for me is, there isn't much of a difference. When cruising, it almost seems like it's quieter. Under pressure there's a bit more noise, but it's not as throaty as I was expecting/it sounded in the shop. I'm not sure how much the noise will change when the weather gets colder (it's about hovering in the 90's here). But I'll see how I like it over the next few weeks and decide if I want to keep it. (I'll try to get a cold start video soon).

For those of you who have done the muffler delete, does anyone have a video of driving under acceleration (inside the car)? I had a sports catless exhaust in a previous car and the drone was just unbearable. I'm not wanting to repeat that.

Or does anyone have experiences with other mufflers? I read something about using a magnaflow muffler.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanpaglia View Post
Apparently that one is a second resonator. I went to a local exhaust shop today to see what they recommended. They told me that they had experiences with a bunch of 328's and muffler deletes and that people complained that they were just too loud. They even took off the second resonator and turned the car on as if it were to just have a straight pipe back. And in my opinion it was too loud.

So in the end they convinced me to get a resonator delete.

The verdict for me is, there isn't much of a difference. When cruising, it almost seems like it's quieter. Under pressure there's a bit more noise, but it's not as throaty as I was expecting/it sounded in the shop. I'm not sure how much the noise will change when the weather gets colder (it's about hovering in the 90's here). But I'll see how I like it over the next few weeks and decide if I want to keep it. (I'll try to get a cold start video soon).

For those of you who have done the muffler delete, does anyone have a video of driving under acceleration (inside the car)? I had a sports catless exhaust in a previous car and the drone was just unbearable. I'm not wanting to repeat that.

Or does anyone have experiences with other mufflers? I read something about using a magnaflow muffler.
I don't have any videos on board really of the x1 with the muffler delete. But it wasn't too loud. Sounded sporty, but definitely not too loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #31
aniks
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any videos on board really of the x1 with the muffler delete. But it wasn't too loud. Sounded sporty, but definitely not too loud.
I appreciate the quick response! And sorry to pester you, when driving did it sound like an M-Sport exhaust? My roommate has one on his 128i, so it's all I have to compare to when it comes to BMW exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate the quick response! And sorry to pester you, when driving did it sound like an M-Sport exhaust? My roommate has one on his 128i, so it's all I have to compare to when it comes to BMW exhausts.
Hmm subjectively, it's pretty similar to what's offered now on current m variants. Not full on M3,M4, etc... but more akin to MPE on the M235i not as much snaps and crackles when revving, there is some nice overrun on downshifts. There's only a slight drone when cruising but completely tolerable. Have you seen any videos I've put up on YouTube ?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #33
aniks
Rep

Quote:
Hmm subjectively, it's pretty similar to what's offered now on current m variants. Not full on M3,M4, etc... but more akin to MPE on the M235i not as much snaps and crackles when revving, there is some nice overrun on downshifts. There's only a slight drone when cruising but completely tolerable. Have you seen any videos I've put up on YouTube ?
Yes sir I have. I like the sound on the outside, but I was more concerned on the inside. But what you described definitely doesn't sound as bad as the shop was making it sound. And in that case, I'll probably give it a shot!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #34
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes sir I have. I like the sound on the outside, but I was more concerned on the inside. But what you described definitely doesn't sound as bad as the shop was making it sound. And in that case, I'll probably give it a shot!
Yeah, it was honestly my favorite mod. Brought me joy with each start up.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #35
aniks
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for all your input.
Here is a video I took last night after my initial post of just the resonator delete. You can hear it being slightly throatier, but not by much. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z8U5sGX2VyLLI3163
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #36
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for all your input.
Here is a video I took last night after my initial post of just the resonator delete. You can hear it being slightly throatier, but not by much. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z8U5sGX2VyLLI3163
Anytime. Yeah you can hear a difference, but you want a sporty sound. Muffler delete is the way to go. Post your results if you take the plunge!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #37
aniks
Rep

I got it done yesterday and unfortunately it didn't sound like expected. It sounded good at idle and to about 2500 rpm, but after that it droned in the cabin pretty terribly. I'm not sure if it was the modification itself or if it's the shop that did it (leaning towards the latter). But my girlfriend is hating it cause she can't hear anything I say when I accelerate. I tried taking a video but unfortunately my phone doesn't pick up the droning.

I'll record how it sounds at start up and idle and try to get another one of in the cabin. But I've already got an appointment to switch back on Tuesday
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:39 PM   #38
JPriami
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28i

Interesting little mod. I didnt see anything about any gains even if small. Just sounds louder. I may consider this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 10:29 PM   #39
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
Interesting little mod. I didnt see anything about any gains even if small. Just sounds louder. I may consider this one.
If there were any marginal gains, it would’ve been hard to tell since I had a tune on it. I’ve done deletes on several cars now and I think it gives a sporty tone without it being obnoxious. X3M and even a MkV Supra.
Appreciate 0