Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Rain Sensing Wipers

Does anyone else not notice any difference or only very little difference when adjusting the sensitivity on the rain sensor?

It's always been a bit annoying for me, that the wipers seem to always wipe about 2X as fast as I want.

Is there a way to check the sensitivity "feature" to make sure it's actually working, or adjusting?

I'm wondering if something changed after my last windshield replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Do you have the sensitivity 'thumbwheel" setting thing turned all the way down? Or is it maybe all the way up? Make sure you push that lever all the way to the lowest setting and see if that helps first. Of course, it never rains here, so I may not be of much help. (note - may rain tomorrow). They never seem to do what I want though - always too slow or too fast.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 06:37 PM   #3
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

My experience is that the rain sensing sensor does work but there is not a lot of difference between the lowest setting and the highest setting of the wheel.

At the lowest setting I agree with the OP that the frequency is still too high. For this reason I do not use it. Like many, I would much prefer to have a manual intermittent wipe option, which allows for better fine tuning of the wiper function.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
My experience is that the rain sensing sensor does work but there is not a lot of difference between the lowest setting and the highest setting of the wheel.

At the lowest setting I agree with the OP that the frequency is still too high. For this reason I do not use it. Like many, I would much prefer to have a manual intermittent wipe option, which allows for better fine tuning of the wiper function.
This is exactly how I feel. And I find myself manually turning the wipers on and off when its raining. I miss my 80's and 90's cars with manual intermittent wipe.

Before my windshield replacement, my old windshield was RainX'd, and it wasn't so bad. I did it again with this windshield and It's not the same. I've cleaned it and redone but it doesn't last like it used to. I literally only did it to the factory replacement windshield once in 2-3 years. I'm done it 3 times on the aftermarket windshield, with different bottles and it's great for 2-3 rain storms and need reapplied.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:46 AM   #5
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm wondering if during the windshield replacements the rain sensor was damaged or not calibrated.

There's nothing on my receipt about it. I'm wondering if the shop didn't do it. I have new wiper (maybe used 4X) and they seem to be dragging. I think it's because the wipers are moving so FAST.
Appreciate 0