Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Hatch button on keyfob???

Okay, potentially dumb question. Is the hatch button on the keyfob supposed to work for our cars? When I picked my car up back in 2017 (2015 35i Msport), the sales guy said that the X1 didn't have functionality for opening the hatch from the keyfob, and it only had the hatch button on the fob because they used the same fob as 3 series that had hatch functionality. I thought that sucked, but had never really questioned it. But that explanation doesn't really make sense to me, and I'm wondering if it's actually true or if that guy fed me BS and there's an issue with my car.

So, can anybody open the hatch on their e84 with the keyfob?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 11:47 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Ha! That's a funny story and ya, that's a load of BS from a stupid sales guy who, like most of them, doesn't know what he's talking about.

I mean the button unlocks/pops the hatch, but it's not a power liftgate or anything, so you still have to lift it up yourself, but should make that loud buzzing/popping noise and opens it a hair, same as it does ON a 3-series or 1-series trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 11:54 PM   #3
plastoid
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive18i

you gotta press and hold the button. a quick press won't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Okay, potentially dumb question. Is the hatch button on the keyfob supposed to work for our cars? When I picked my car up back in 2017 (2015 35i Msport), the sales guy said that the X1 didn't have functionality for opening the hatch from the keyfob, and it only had the hatch button on the fob because they used the same fob as 3 series that had hatch functionality. I thought that sucked, but had never really questioned it. But that explanation doesn't really make sense to me, and I'm wondering if it's actually true or if that guy fed me BS and there's an issue with my car.

So, can anybody open the hatch on their e84 with the keyfob?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 12:52 AM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastoid View Post
you gotta press and hold the button. a quick press won't do anything.
Yes, sorry, I'm so used to doing it, I forgot, you do have to hold it down for a couple seconds til you hear it make the noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Yes, sorry, I'm so used to doing it, I forgot, you do have to hold it down for a couple seconds til you hear it make the noise.
Thanks everybody! I guess when i've tried holding it in before, I either held too long, or not long enough. I tried yesterday, but didn't hold it in as long, and it popped open when releasing the button. Both remotes work, so no issues!!! So glad to have this feature working!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I just feel bad you've been missing out on the good life thanks to an uninformed sales guy. Enjoy the button in good health, don't wear it out too much...unless you want to make up for lost time. =P
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

You can also wind down the window by pressing the unlock button for a few seconds. Release the button when you want the window to stop. I used to play this trick with my family at the shopping parking lot and they would freak out thinking they forgot to wind up their windows. Yeah I'm such a naughty dad.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 09:48 PM   #8
JC210
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 30i

Garage List
2021 BMW X4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
You can also wind down the window by pressing the unlock button for a few seconds. Release the button when you want the window to stop. I used to play this trick with my family at the shopping parking lot and they would freak out thinking they forgot to wind up their windows. Yeah I'm such a naughty dad.
And you can close all the windows by holding the "lock" button also.
Appreciate 0