XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

My Review of the 2013 BMW X1, (35i/Photos)

So I ordered my X1 I believe somewhere in the beginning of August. I was actually looking for a car for about 5 months...I know..., but I'm very picky!
I was looking at the ML 350, Evoque, X3, and other random cars...during this search I discovered the X1...it offered more of a complete package which includes, (Sufficient Utility, Style, Speed, XDrive-Off road ability) may not be the best off roader, but I need something that can play well in the snow.

So I chose the X1, absolutely no regrets so far I love the car. Roomy enough for a guy like me who likes to lounge about while driving. Sporty enough that I won't lose control with my aggressive driving style. Fast enough to beat most cars on the road when my testosterone kicks in. Fancy/classy enough for me to feel like a champ wherever I go. Advanced enough to convenience me any way imaginable, (love Bluetooth, iPod integration, internal hard drive, and most of all real-time traffic...CUZ I HATE TRAFFIC and bad drivers), Which reminds me...Safe enough that I know I should be alright if I were to be in a serious collision. (the X1 sports many airbags) and for the whole friends and family thing...It's big enough to fit 4 comfortably. I took a trip to run Tough Mudder in Jersey with four adults traveling, one of which was 6'-9" and no complaints,...that's a "big" deal. Which finally gets to rugged enough to be considered an SUV. BTW 3 muddy folks in a brand new X1...unacceptable, but my friends wanted to ride in it, so I said what the heck, why not!

So I can't comment on reliability yet as I only have 900 miles. But I took my first long trip and I had no problems.

Pros and Cons!!!!!!

Pros: Visually impressive, Great design, Very advanced technology, (get the Tech pack if you can, worth it) fuel efficient. Fast, Handles well, Adequate room (for social/outdoor singles and couples or small early families)

Cons: Overall size and utility, (may be too small for larger families with older children, teens, and pets) Shocks, (even though it rides very well, it can be a little shocky over bumps and pot holes, but the ride is very comfortable for long road trips, as long as the roads stay paved and your not on the highway in Jersey.

Honestly: I believe this is a car for folks who are outdoor people, or young professionals that just want to have fun. Someone like me, I'm a single working guy, who's looking to settle down and maybe start a family and during that time I know I'll have a nice affordable car that I can take trips, ski, have fun, haul all my music equipment, and if the time comes throw a baby and a car seat in the back, maybe a little dog and call it a day.

In Conclusion, there's a lot of cool cars out there and it all depends on what you want. Some prefer other features which may or may not lead you to buy the X1, but if your looking for acceptable utility somehow formatted into car size, that offer some of the same benefits of an SUV but the agility and speed of a sports car, advanced technology, and efficiency of a midsize sedan... then this is your bet!

Now whats a Review without Pictures???
Check out these photos:
Attached Images

Last edited by Kool-Kat; 10-26-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Kat View Post
Honestly: I believe this is a car for folks who are outdoor people, or young professionals that just want to have fun. Someone like me, I'm a single working guy, who's looking to settle down and maybe start a family and during that time I know I'll have a nice affordable car that I can take trips, ski, have fun, haul all my music equipment, and if the time comes throw a baby and a car seat in the back, maybe a little dog and call it a day.
Now that's a strange name for a dog.

I think it's also suitable for us old geezers who want an agile car with good rear wheel power. I'm sure glad I get it now, before the next round of X1s turn FWD.
Thanks for your review and pictures - much appreciated! And congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Nice reveiw, sweet car! Congrats!

What tire specs to do you have? Can't make out the model.
Very nice!

Last edited by stonex1; 10-26-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Nice red leather interior
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1
Nice reveiw, sweet car! Congrats!

What tire specs to do you have? Can't make out the model.
Very nice!
Pirelli Cintirato, something like that, 225/45/18
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Looks great, love the color combo
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray

Congrats from one fellow Mineral Grey owner to the next. Looks fantastic! Great pics and write up.

And you're more generous than I, as I ran the Spartan Race yesterday and begged my brother to drive his old Saab. Thank God. The mud was EVERYWHERE.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
prosgal73
Rep
Drives: Nissan

almost sold on the X1!

koolcat, i think your review sold me on the X1! wasn't sure but now after reading this thread, i am. what are you wheel specs?
what about everyone else, do you recommend the base model or getting the Xline? i don't like the wheels on the Xline though....thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosgal73
koolcat, i think your review sold me on the X1! wasn't sure but now after reading this thread, i am. what are you wheel specs?
what about everyone else, do you recommend the base model or getting the Xline? i don't like the wheels on the Xline though....thanks!
All I know it's that it's 18" I'd go outside and look but it's like 20 degrees...
I'd go for the xline, gives it a very nice exterior look overall, and awesome, it's a really kool car to have and you wont regret it, in fact my moms getting one next week! No joke! (Valencia orange) Too bad she'll only have a day to drive it b4 the world ends. Btw I had no influence on her getting it, she decided on it before she knew I even had one.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
prosgal73
Rep

thanks kool-kat! i'm thinking alphine white xline, do you think the aluminum roof rails would like better with that? the black looks like stripes?...but there is more contrast. but the aluminum might look better with the xline. thanks again! your mom is kool!, love the valencia orange but too bold for me! thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

If I did white it would be mineral white with aluminum roof rails. I'd agree that black rails might be a bit too much contrast with white.
      12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
thanks kool-kat! i'm thinking alphine white xline, do you think the aluminum roof rails would like better with that? the black looks like stripes?...but there is more contrast. but the aluminum might look better with the xline. thanks again! your mom is kool!, love the valencia orange but too bold for me! thanks
Ha thanks, Aluminum would look better with xline and white
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
prosgal73
Rep

thanks everyone! stay warm, happy holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosgal73 View Post
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
prosgal73
Rep

more questions before i go to the dealer. i'm looking to purchase so i didn't want to add too many things that could go wrong with the vehicle but i was concerned about resale:
should i get the following
1) Harmon stereo system, was planning on getting it...
2) panoramic sunroof, i don't see myself actually using it and i wanted white and i don't know if it looks better without the black sunroof? your thoughts?
3) navigation system, i don't really need it but most people seem to get it...
4) xdrive? i was going to get the sdrive since i'm in so cal and i don't go up to the snow
5) the high gloss copper trim, do u think it looks nicer that the matte wood trim?
thanks for your help! this would be my german car so i'm just wondered about reliability and maintenance
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Thats one sexy looking car!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
more questions before i go to the dealer. i'm looking to purchase so i didn't want to add too many things that could go wrong with the vehicle but i was concerned about resale:
2) panoramic sunroof, i don't see myself actually using it and i wanted white and i don't know if it looks better without the black sunroof? your thoughts?
4) xdrive? i was going to get the sdrive since i'm in so cal and i don't go up to the snow
5) the high gloss copper trim, do u think it looks nicer that the matte wood trim?
thanks for your help! this would be my german car so i'm just wondered about reliability and maintenance
Well, here's my opinion, if you like cruising down the road with windows open and you like an ambient open feel of comfort, get the panoramic sunroof! If you aren't gonna do a lot of traveling and your pretty much staying on flat dry land, go for sdrive.
Now I don't really need a nav either especially with smartphones, but with the package I really wanted to have Bluetooth and all the technology that makes my car more advanced. Stock stereo isn't bad, however Harmon Kardon is the way to go!!
I love it, wish it was just a little louder but the clarity and bass are enough to make one cry for a few minutes.

Depending on the budget, I'd at least get the premium and technology if its not going to kill your pocket, I don't know much about the copper trimming and stuff but stock exterior look fantastic without any addition, and the wood finish inside looks great if you want it, specially with tan or Brown leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, here's my opinion, if you like cruising down the road with windows open and you like an ambient open feel of comfort, get the panoramic sunroof! If you aren't gonna do a lot of traveling and your pretty much staying on flat dry land, go for sdrive.
Now I don't really need a nav either especially with smartphones, but with the package I really wanted to have Bluetooth and all the technology that makes my car more advanced. Stock stereo isn't bad, however Harmon Kardon is the way to go!!
I love it, wish it was just a little louder but the clarity and bass are enough to make one cry for a few minutes.

Depending on the budget, I'd at least get the premium and technology if its not going to kill your pocket, I don't know much about the copper trimming and stuff but stock exterior look fantastic without any addition, and the wood finish inside looks great if you want it, specially with tan or Brown leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
prosgal73
Rep

thanks again! going to test drive the Xdrive before i decide on that or the Sdrive...don't forsee myself taking it up to the mountains but on the threads everyone seems to favor the hydraulic steering of the xdrive over the electronic steering of the sdrive, not sure what all that means but wants trying to figure out which would be less problems down the road since i plan to purchase
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosgal73 View Post
thanks again! going to test drive the Xdrive before i decide on that or the Sdrive...don't forsee myself taking it up to the mountains but on the threads everyone seems to favor the hydraulic steering of the xdrive over the electronic steering of the sdrive, not sure what all that means but wants trying to figure out which would be less problems down the road since i plan to purchase
With the hydraulic steering you are more connected to the wheels, and get more "feedback". With the electric steering, you lose much of that, but on the other hand, the wheel will overall be easier to turn, not so dependent on speed or forces pushing back on the wheel.

On the sDrive, there is no drive shaft to the front wheels, and BMW had more space to put in the electronic steering.

I'm old school and prefer old style pinion and rack steering where the wheel is REALLY hard to turn, but most people prefer a lighter steering.

It's hard to say what's going to be more reliable in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
tierwun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 228xi

I got a mineral grey, red interior 28 with M sport. The better engine sounded great but just wouldn't be utilized. Wife drives the car more.
Appreciate 0