Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

Amsoil European 0w40 Blend for N55

Just wanted to give a quick review of Amsoil 0w40 motor oil for the N55 (35i) engine. My car has 75k miles on it. Amsoil 0w40 is BMW LL-01 approved.

Sunday I did an oil change, switching over to this oil from Mobil1 0w40. I can already say that cold starts are drastically improved. It was 5 degrees F this morning and there was no RPM idle dip within the first 10 seconds (always happened with Mobil1). This leads me to believe that the cold viscosity is truly as low as it should be with a 0w oil spec (unlike Mobil1).

Any other Amsoil users out there? I will check back in after a few thousand miles and let you know how it's doing. The next (measurable) test will be examining the oil after about 7k miles of use (my change interval). The Mobil1 came out black, but no gunk in there.

Link to oil: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=EFOQT-EA

cheers!

Last edited by LevinBR; 01-16-2018 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Nothing personal, I think it's all marketing bullshit.
If you change your oil at 5k on a modern engine your already ahead of 95% of drivers out there in terms of quality of oil regardless of brand.

Designer oil has it's place in race spec tolerances and life, none which makes it into production cars.

Besides, the very few people who even own their car long enough to make a spec oil worth the perceived reduced wear are slim to nill.

I akin it to people who sell luxury HDMI cables and prey on people with more money than knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Nothing personal, I think it's all marketing bullshit.
If you change your oil at 5k on a modern engine your already ahead of 95% of drivers out there in terms of quality of oil regardless of brand.

Designer oil has it's place in race spec tolerances and life, none which makes it into production cars.

Besides, the very few people who even own their car long enough to make a spec oil worth the perceived reduced wear are slim to nill.

I akin it to people who sell luxury HDMI cables and prey on people with more money than knowledge.
Yeah, I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not paying any attention to "marketing bullshit" (most marketing is bullshit in this arena). I'm observing the cold start (<10F) and directly comparing it to what I experienced with Mobil1. I paid $7.95 / quart for this oil.. I didn't think that was too bad.

Last edited by LevinBR; 01-18-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
thecos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
Yeah, I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not paying any attention to "marketing bullshit" (most marketing is bullshit in this arena). I'm observing the cold start (<10F) and directly comparing it to what I experienced with Mobil1. I paid $7.95 / quart for this oil.. I didn't think that was too bad.
I was just reading about this oil and will try it for the next oil change. Where did you buy it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos View Post
I was just reading about this oil and will try it for the next oil change. Where did you buy it?
I bought it off amsoil.com. I have a preferred customer account which gives me wholesale pricing.

You can also buy from a local distributor by doing a distributor search on their website.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
I bought it off amsoil.com. I have a preferred customer account which gives me wholesale pricing.

You can also buy from a local distributor by doing a distributor search on their website.
Looked at the specs, its ok. Fwiw, These are not bmw ll01 approved but recommended. There are better oils out there for $8. It is shady/gimmick that amsoil have a sds available but theres no composition in it lol. They always rely more on marketing no doubt.

Last edited by Sgop335; 02-06-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #7
Kael
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: F36 428i

Quote:
Just wanted to give a quick review of Amsoil 0w40 motor oil for the N55 (35i) engine. My car has 75k miles on it. Amsoil 0w40 is BMW LL-01 approved.

Sunday I did an oil change, switching over to this oil from Mobil1 0w40. I can already say that cold starts are drastically improved. It was 5 degrees F this morning and there was no RPM idle dip within the first 10 seconds (always happened with Mobil1). This leads me to believe that the cold viscosity is truly as low as it should be with a 0w oil spec (unlike Mobil1).

Any other Amsoil users out there? I will check back in after a few thousand miles and let you know how it's doing. The next (measurable) test will be examining the oil after about 7k miles of use (my change interval). The Mobil1 came out black, but no gunk in there.

Link to oil: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=EFOQT-EA

cheers!
hey mate, are you still using that oil? Long time passed, but I wonder the quality of the oil in long run
Appreciate 0