05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkli View Post
I infer that the difference with "Performance Control" is that not only is torque vectoring reactionary to available traction at each wheel, but it also is done based on turning angle, that is, the inside rear wheel is braked a bit to assist turn-in/reduce understeer, as the car is turning (not directly related to the traction at each wheel).
This should be an easy test as a few of us add more miles. Our 135i burned up rear brake pads faster than fronts trying to (very poorly) simulate an LSD with the rear brakes. If M Sports eat rear brakes significantly quicker than non M Sport models, it should indicate that there is more brake interference in the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
dgkli
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 xDrive 28i MSport;

Maybe this is the logic (pure speculation, trying to reconcile the 20:80 thing): perhaps when turning, MSports vector more torque to the rear wheels (up to 80%), while simultaneously braking the inside rear wheel--this would effectively apply more torque to the rear outside wheel at the same time, hence emulating Dynamic Performance Control.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe this is the logic (pure speculation, trying to reconcile the 20:80 thing): perhaps when turning, MSports vector more torque to the rear wheels (up to 80%), while simultaneously braking the inside rear wheel--this would effectively apply more torque to the rear outside wheel at the same time, hence emulating Dynamic Performance Control.

I think that sounds right, pretty cool function. I drove both and didn't notice any difference that I didn't chalk up to tire differences, but it would be interesting to drive both back to back with equal tires.

My wife could care less, and is honestly better off with more fwd bias, but if BMW gets around to applying this to a sportier car available with a manual, I'd actually consider it for myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 03:34 AM   #26
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

OP any luck identifying the issue?

As I originally said I have the diesel version, which apparently has not enough power to spin the wheels, but probably has about the same torque level particularly at low revs as the 3.5(?). Last time I looked it is torque that turns the wheels and power that gives the speed.

Anyway, things I would check are:
Tyres, all season seem like a potential problem, don't need them in Aus.

Tyre pressure is even and not high or low. Dealer delivered mine with 35 to 40 psi across the four tyres. 18 inch stagered run flats. I run 36 front 37psi rear.

Is the problem the same in sport mode. I am not a fan of non sport mode with the throttle lag etc, I drive in sport and love it, no issues with traction control at all, and I accelerate around corners and take off from lights with no issues. No girly driving, x1 faster than big v8's I have had in around town driving.

Excess traction control kickin seems odd, maybe a dealer fix required....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:

Everything I've read indicates Performance Control on the X1 and X3 is a DTC emulated version of Dynamic Performance Control. I don't care if the 80:20 default rear bias is only during cornering or full time since you won't care in a straight line.

We know that all xDrive models can transfer 100% of power to either axle but only Performance Control provides torque vectoring via DTC braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #28
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

On our car the traction control cuts power when I want to accelerate out of corners (no flashing lights) on the dry, so I usually turn it off when I'm attacking corners.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
dgkli
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 xDrive 28i MSport;

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I don't care if the 80:20 default rear bias is only during cornering or full time since you won't care in a straight line.
I understand what you're getting at, but I suppose there is one exception to this (the torque allocation in a straight line) and that is torque steer--at some point theoretically you might encounter torque steer if more than x% torque is sent forward. Probably not an issue for current XDrive BMW's but conceivably an issue for any hypothetical future FWD-based bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you're getting at, but I suppose there is one exception to this (the torque allocation in a straight line) and that is torque steer--at some point theoretically you might encounter torque steer if more than x% torque is sent forward. Probably not an issue for current XDrive BMW's but conceivably an issue for any hypothetical future FWD-based bimmers.
Oh indeed! I've driven a few Haldex cars (which is why I tend to be on about the CLA) and they exhibit torque steer. Our X1 exhibits some torque steer, it's minimal, but you can certainly tell it's putting power to the front wheels at times and get slightly non-linear steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Oh indeed! I've driven a few Haldex cars (which is why I tend to be on about the CLA) and they exhibit torque steer. Our X1 exhibits some torque steer, it's minimal, but you can certainly tell it's putting power to the front wheels at times and get slightly non-linear steering.
I had 400lbft+ going to the wheels and I honestly didn't detect any torque steer on my M sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I had 400lbft+ going to the wheels and I honestly didn't detect any torque steer on my M sport.
Try it with the silly P7 A/S's.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I'd check but my car is back in the hands of BMW for 2-3 months.

While on my ED at the 'ring I used an android app called "Torque" to record telemetry data from the X1's on board diagnostics port. The app is free or $5 for the full version and you can buy a bluetooth OBD adapter for $15-$60 that will probably shed some light on this for you. There are about 50 things you can monitor through the ODB port of an X1 including the accelerator pedal position, the requested power level, the actual power level that the engine is outputting, the requested and actual power level and dozens of other useful stats that will help you figure out if DTC is really cutting your power.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I accelerated out of a gas station into heavy traffic recently and my right rear wheel hopped the curb. DTC did not appear to kick in heavily and I was able to accelerate normally and briskly to avoid oncoming traffic. I am very happy with the xDrive in the M Sport so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #35
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

I've been keeping an eye out for any traction control cutting in and I have to reiterate that there is no issue with it being intrusive on my 35i MSport when driven aggressively
Appreciate 0