Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 6MT

Advice on Codes and N20 Engine Failure

Wife was driving out of town and the engine straight up stopped. In my wife's words, "So I just had a random low oil pressure warning, car engine didn't sound good, it said 'loss of power', and told me to pull over." She was two hours away. When she pus the button to start again she got a warning like "We really don't recommend doing that but we will if you want us to" kind of warning. We had it towed to to my mechanic.

At first I thought it could be the timing chain. When looking through the oil cap and trying to wiggle the timing chain everything seems tight (crossing my fingers). My mechanic when I called him think it may be the oil pump? I have not heard about the oil pump being issues before but I may just be out of the loop.

Car: 2013 xDrive28i with 145k Miles

Here are the codes I pulled...Mechanic has not looked at the car yet as I just dropped it off yesterday.
2F7C
2F78
31E9
2BCB
315A
33FE
2D61
2C58
2D9F

Based on all of this....Does anyone have any advice? What should I be cautious of when my mechanic starts talking about $1k for this and $1k for that? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Side rant....The fact you can't put these cars in to neutral without getting underneath and screwing in some stupid nut is INSANE!
      09-19-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

Maybe not based off the codes but I bought an X1 with a dead engine. I would pull the oil pan and have a look at the oil pickup, will probably be plugged solid with pieces of broken timing chain guide.

Normally the guides are the pieces that fail.
Appreciate 0