XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-22-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
louisf92
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 35i

Please help !! Dead battery (big problem)

Edit:vehicle is 2015 BMW X1 35i

Need help please !!! Battery died I swapped out the battery and it worked fine. Didn’t use the car for about 2 months and the battery died again. The car dash turns on as well as head unit. It will crank but won’t start. I get code 6293 missing fuel pump. I have checked the module and tried a new one with no fix. If you have any ideas please lmk. I have never had issues with sluggish fuel/throttle response or any warnings or codes with fuel pump before. I have checked ground(including under chasis) tested all fuses. When I was trying to start the car intermittently fuse 70 popped and I replaced it (hasn’t popped since) I have checked ibs and battery connection. I also registered the new battery via BimmerCode. Will post all error codes. Please help

I have tried getting information via forums and google. Tried on my own for about a week straight.

ERROR CODES

Error memory
Date: 8/19/22, 10:30 AM
00 Safety and information module (SIM)
1 error
A739: PL2: CENTRAL LOCK, DRIVE TAILGATE
01 Safety and information module
12 Motor electronics
5 errors
CDB7: OxCDB7 PT-CAN, message (Status Electric Fuel Pump, 0x335): missing
371A: 0x371A Valvetronic, supply voltage: line interruption
2DC6: 0x2DC6 Valvetronic, supply voltage: malfunction
2DB6: 0x2DB6 Valvetronic relay, control: line interruption
31E9: 0x31E9 Electric fan, control line: line interruption
17 Electronic fuel pump control module
1 error
6293: EKP engine: current too high
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Sounds like battery problem. If you replaced battery and then didn't drive car it likely just discharged.

Did you register battery to car? Often parasitic discharge could cause low battery voltage especially if the new battery wasn't fully charged.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #3
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the new battery was not fully charged after installation, most likely got discharged.
Try a trickle charger and leave it on and see what happens.
It is also possible that the new battery could be a lemon to begin with. Who knows.
The vehicle looses power in time but not to that extent. One month of non driving should deplete a max 20% of the battery (being dramatic).

Or, you have something that really eats your power.

try charging the battery. Noco 5 or a Ctek trickle charger is what you need. make sure you pick the righ battery (non-AGM)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
louisf92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
If the new battery was not fully charged after installation, most likely got discharged.
Try a trickle charger and leave it on and see what happens.
It is also possible that the new battery could be a lemon to begin with. Who knows.
The vehicle looses power in time but not to that extent. One month of non driving should deplete a max 20% of the battery (being dramatic).

Or, you have something that really eats your power.

try charging the battery. Noco 5 or a Ctek trickle charger is what you need. make sure you pick the righ battery (non-AGM)
i have purchased a trickle charge thank you for your reply. i will give that a shot. the original battery (before issues) was a non agm battery. the second battery was also non agm. the second battery worked for the first drive to the gas station and back and then i let the car sit for a long time due to unpaid registration. i now replaced the battery again (agm battery) and have coded it through bimmercode and bimmerlink. maybe they sell these batteries dead but ill give the trickle charger a shot. i have also ordered the fuel pump just to see if it truely is the problem. id rather waste 200$ and find out its not the problem then to keep thinking it is. ill give you an update in 2 days when the trickle charger arrives. thank you guys for your input really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
louisf92
Rep

also on a side not. before i coded the second battery. it showed an agm 80ah battery so thats why i went back to an agm battery. on the 3rd shot lol. i guess agm was the original battery at 80ah
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Yep, original battery is AGM type. I don't recall the specific amp hour rating, but the type is definately AGM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:05 PM   #7
BillACK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i

I was getting occasional low battery warnings with a new battery and eventually the car wouldn't start necessitating a new starter and new engine ground strap.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:19 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Yep, original battery is AGM type. I don't recall the specific amp hour rating, but the type is definately AGM.
I believe that the original battery is actually a flooded non-AGM battery.

My 2012 E84 had a regular non-AGM and the OEM replacement battery is also BMW non-AGM.
They never die…

Last edited by Teutonic; 09-01-2022 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #9
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisf92 View Post
i have purchased a trickle charge thank you for your reply. i will give that a shot. the original battery (before issues) was a non agm battery. the second battery was also non agm. the second battery worked for the first drive to the gas station and back and then i let the car sit for a long time due to unpaid registration. i now replaced the battery again (agm battery) and have coded it through bimmercode and bimmerlink. maybe they sell these batteries dead but ill give the trickle charger a shot. i have also ordered the fuel pump just to see if it truely is the problem. id rather waste 200$ and find out its not the problem then to keep thinking it is. ill give you an update in 2 days when the trickle charger arrives. thank you guys for your input really appreciate it.
Noco 5 or Noco 10 have a function to repair the battery.
Please keep in mind that AGM batteries have an electronic module that will deem the battery as replaceable if drops under a certain voltage.
An old style flooded battery non-AGm can be brought back to life if the components are ok.
The new module controlled batteries will not allow that.
Actualy, my original 2012 battery non-AGM was replaced in 2020 when there were no issues.I just thought it is a good idea to replace it because it was old. Regardless, the tester confirmed at that time thatthe battery was actually in perfect parameters, Amazing. I bought the same as a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 01:30 AM   #10
louisf92
Rep

Quote:
Noco 5 or Noco 10 have a function to repair the battery.
Please keep in mind that AGM batteries have an electronic module that will deem the battery as replaceable if drops under a certain voltage.
An old style flooded battery non-AGm can be brought back to life if the components are ok.
The new module controlled batteries will not allow that.
Actualy, my original 2012 battery non-AGM was replaced in 2020 when there were no issues.I just thought it is a good idea to replace it because it was old. Regardless, the tester confirmed at that time thatthe battery was actually in perfect parameters, Amazing. I bought the same as a replacement.
i have trickle charged the new battery it was at the lowest bar on thenoco genius 2. it is now fully charged. went to start up the car and same problem.
im super confused as to what this can be. is there a schematic for power lines that i can find to see if the valvetronic and fuel pump are somehow connected somewhere or if i can follow a wires to see if maybe a rodent chewed it up ?
edit : the car cranks. sounds like the starter is ticking and the engine wants to start but nothing. also found the schematic doesnt seem to have anything to do with fuel pump and valvetronic

Last edited by louisf92; 09-02-2022 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 02:20 AM   #11
louisf92
Rep

update i reset the codes (forgot to do that) checked for codes before trying to start and nothing. i try to start it again and the only code that pops up is the:

6293: ekp engine: current too high
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
update i reset the codes (forgot to do that) checked for codes before trying to start and nothing. i try to start it again and the only code that pops up is the:

Hello Louis,

Sorry about your problem. Not sure what it can be.
Why don’t you take it to a dealership or ask a tech to stop by to give you a hand?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #13
louisf92
Rep

Quote:
Hello Louis,

Sorry about your problem. Not sure what it can be.
Why don’t you take it to a dealership or ask a tech to stop by to give you a hand?
hi thanks for the suggestion, looks like i have a short of some kind.. fuse #70 (20A) keeps blowing whenever i try to start it. any ideas ? im gonna see if i can find it maybe
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

One of E84 recalls was about the positive cable that runs from the battery tothe fuse box. It was major recall. Was that one done in your case?

Either way, go to a dealer. They have all the tools to help you out. Sometimes a little more expensive is cheaper.

Ialways got o the dealership for evry little thing and my cars are running trouble free.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
hi thanks for the suggestion, looks like i have a short of some kind.. fuse #70 (20A) keeps blowing whenever i try to start it. any ideas ? im gonna see if i can find it maybe
E70 is an engine related fuse. Not sure what though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #16
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe that the original battery is actually a flooded non-AGM battery.

My 2012 E84 had a regular non-AGM and the OEM replacement battery is also BMW non-AGM.
They never die…
Hmm, I'm going to have to take a look at my battery again, I could have sworn it was AGM - 2015 X1 35i m-sport. I bought it CPO in 2017, so I'm fairly confident its battery is the original, as I haven't changed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:26 AM   #17
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but the EKP is the controller for the low pressure fuel pump. Can you hear it prime at all right before starting your car? Not sure why sitting for 2 months idle would do anything to the EKP?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #18
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

I suppose if there is a short somewhere in that circuit it could be the cause of your battery draining.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:04 AM   #19
louisf92
Rep

HUGE UPDATE !!! i measured power from the ekmp3 to make sure fuel pump was recieving power. (it was) so i hotwired the battery directly to the pump and it was running but super slow and the cables where getting hot. assuming this was the problem since it barely made any noise i purchased the (BMW Fuel Pump Assembly) and replaced it.(possible cause) the fuel pump at the bottom was really dark(not the tank) inside the pump maybe residue of failing pump or bad fuel from sitting so long. the car now turns on but it has a delayed crank (will crank maybe 2 times instead of just turning on as usual....... and i am down to only 1 code. new code is
( 2c3e ) "quantity control valve short circuit to earth"
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #20
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Is your ground strap in good shape? BMW's located in wintry region has a propensity of disintegrating ground strap due to exposure to moisture and salt.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #21
louisf92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Is your ground strap in good shape? BMW's located in wintry region has a propensity of disintegrating ground strap due to exposure to moisture and salt.
good suggestion but i have checked that and no luck. algo checked the front 2 seems to be good.

UPDATE:
NEW CODES
2c3e quantity control valve , control short circuit to earth
377c engine cooling system reduced power operation: supply voltage low
2bc0 mixture control too lean
Appreciate 0