XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #45
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

This topic has been beat to death for many years on hundreds (yes, hundreds!) of forums. The general consensus is usually that people that are too cheap to use the recommended fuel should not have a bought a car that requires it...(yes, requires!) To some, change the way you think and stop whining when the LARGE majority of responders disagree with your thinking/action.

There is a limit to how much retarding the computer can do. Exceed that limit running crap fuel and you WILL damage your engine. The damage is not immediate...burning a hole through a piston takes time.

Pinging can sometimes be heard and sometimes it can't. This depends on how well the engine noise is insulated from the cabin AND how sensitive the driver's hearing is.

Why in the hell would BMW recommend/require/insist that owners use Premium fuel when Regular would be just fine? To some, that are on the fence between 2 or 3 different cars, the Premium requirement might be a deal breaker...costing BMW sales. Don't think for a minute that they don't know this.

Pinging doesn't sound very violent but inside the engine it's quite a different story. Pinging(early detonation) is the fuel being ignited to early and the piston essentially runs into a wall of exploding fuel to reach the top of the compression stroke. This puts a huge strain on all kinds of engine parts...crank bearings, connecting rods, wrist pins, pistons(rings too), and the combustion chamber. The weakest point of these components is the face of the piston. That's what fails first.

Stick with high octane fuel and do yourself and your car a favor. And by all means, don't be cheap. You're not "saving" anything.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #46
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
I totally disagree with you on that! The X1 fulfills a bunch of needs that other BMW models could never do! Sure, I could have saved a bunch of $$$ and bought a Subaru, or a mini Countryman All4, but I prefer the tight, sound quality of a german machine. And the 328i X Drive Sports Wagon is just an ugly station wagon with the same engine for $10K more then the X1. I just disagree with the fuel issues. Gas is gas is gas. And computers make sure that is the case.

We're all into the car for different reasons. Being the fastest is NOT my reason for buying the X1. Versatility is my goal, and I achieved it with style!
THe X1 is a station wagon/hatch same as the 328 wagon. The Subaru outback isn't really any cheaper than the X28 X1 if you get the bigger engine and all the bells and whistles. Plus you get free maintanene if you buy the BMW and you can get more off of MSRP with the X1 over a Subaru. I saw Mini Countryman at the car show and it was 38k.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #47
jm6001
Banned
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M

What about gas that contains 10% Ethanol?? Should we be avoiding these ethanol mixes? Where I live I can get 94 with 10% E or 91 with no ethanol.. Which should I be getting??
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #48
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
THe X1 is a station wagon/hatch same as the 328 wagon. The Subaru outback isn't really any cheaper than the X28 X1 if you get the bigger engine and all the bells and whistles. Plus you get free maintanene if you buy the BMW and you can get more off of MSRP with the X1 over a Subaru. I saw Mini Countryman at the car show and it was 38k.
I found the X1 to be a good value when you consider the looks, handling, performance and functions and features. As for fuel, I think I riled up a few folks here - not my intention! But seriously, I think the 87, 89 and 93 octane fuels options is a bunch of marketing crap brought to us by the big oil companies and I refuse to play their game. I've driven over a million miles in cars that claim they require "premium" fuel. Never had a rebuild, so whatever I've been doing, I plan to keep on doing it! If I drove my car hard, I would probably benefit by an octane boost. Until then, I shall follow my dealer's advice and stick to RUG 87.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 11:05 PM   #49
TrueRedi3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6001 View Post
What about gas that contains 10% Ethanol?? Should we be avoiding these ethanol mixes? Where I live I can get 94 with 10% E or 91 with no ethanol.. Which should I be getting??
According to fuel-testers.com alcohol blend fuels, like E10, become contaminated by water dilution (phase separation) very quickly. When this occurs, gasoline octane of the fuel in the tank may drop as much as 3 points. By that math I would guess both are equivalent from an octane rating. It's getting harder and harder to find fuel without ethanol added. Given the choice I would run without.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #50
elfhearse
CW5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 x28iS/10 e91M/00 Z3MC

Garage List
2014 BMW x28i  [0.00]
2010 328iT  [0.00]
Quote:
Where I live I can get 94 with 10% E or 91 with no ethanol.. Which should I be getting??
Similar case for me....I buy the 91 no ethanol and every 3rd tank I run thru Shell 93 V-Power (e10)to clean things up. I've seen a 2 mpg mileage increase with the 91 e0 since starting a month ago.

PS: not even going to mention the evils of ethanol vs. HPFP problems from years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #51
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6001 View Post
Go with the 91 octane E0. 91 is what the engine is recommended used with, and unless you redline it a lot, there's no benefit to going higher octane than 91.
Ethanol, on the other hand, does have severe disadvantages. One is that it sucks up water. Another is that it attacks gaskets, causing them to wear faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #52
jbc77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2013 X1 s28i

The service manager at my dealer explicitly told me to only run a good brand of premium gas, preferably Chevron Supreme or Shell V Power. They have seen many cars with fuel injection issues caused by poor quality or low octane gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #53
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc77 View Post
The service manager at my dealer explicitly told me to only run a good brand of premium gas, preferably Chevron Supreme or Shell V Power. They have seen many cars with fuel injection issues caused by poor quality or low octane gas.
I'm not saying they're wrong, but with the inherent issues of DI engines developing carbon buildup because of no fuel over the intake valves, I'd assume service managers are still assuming fuel quality has something to do with this, which it no longer does.

We're leasing the X1 and will continue to give back DI only motors after three years. Our previous N54 135i was badly in need of cleaning at 43k miles when we sold it and I'm sure the N55 in our X1 is heading there too.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #54
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0