02-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

New comparison test vs Buick Encore

Not a fair comparison IMHO:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...8i-comparison/

Regardless it is useful for potential buyers of both cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Ridiculous comparison.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

i cant believe that Buick sold over 33,000 units with a 1.4 that produces 138 hp... what is America thinking
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lol. All is wrong is this.
Even the engine, 1400cc 140hp against 2000cc 240hp but the clients would be the same?

Not want to break down the other one but compare things you actualy could compare. A X1 with a smaller engine (1.8i then) is cheaper.

Power output and price range totaly wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Yeah but that N20 is the base engine in NA.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

An apples to oranges comparo; not the same demographics at all.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I'm not really sure what cars currently for sale in the US would be an "apples to apples" comparison with the X1. The X1 is the only "luxury" brand to currently sell a small SUV, and none of the other small SUVs on the market have less than 200 hp. The Encore seems as close as any other small SUVs, and some do consider Buick to be a luxury brand (I don't).

Seems that there will be some other models available for sale later in the year as Lexus, Mercedes and Audi all have small SUVs coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Audi Q3 already exists, maybe not in USA.
GLA to come, being officialy released, not sure if you could order one already and when the 1st wil be delivered.

X1 vs Q3 comparison would appels vs appels, alot of them on the internet already. Getting the GLA soon in would be very very nice.

Nice thing on BMW, Audi and Mercedes, all type of motorisation and priceranges so easy to compare. Then again, if you only have the 2.8i and 3.5i over there and not know about the Q3 in USA, that's not nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1 View Post
Audi Q3 already exists, maybe not in USA.
GLA to come, being officialy released, not sure if you could order one already and when the 1st wil be delivered.

X1 vs Q3 comparison would appels vs appels, alot of them on the internet already. Getting the GLA soon in would be very very nice.

Nice thing on BMW, Audi and Mercedes, all type of motorisation and priceranges so easy to compare. Then again, if you only have the 2.8i and 3.5i over there and not know about the Q3 in USA, that's not nice.
Yeah, we do not have those other cars here yet, but they are coming later this year. So is a small Lexus SUV as well. For now the closest thing to the X1 is the Buick Encore. I suppose if you are comparing the more fully loaded X1, then the Range Rover Evoque would be a good comparison.

When I was shopping, the other cars I considered were the Subaru XV Crosstrek and Honda CRV. Those are cheaper cars, so I was comparing those models fully loaded and the X1 I got was with only a couple of options. We don't really have too many choices yet in this vehicle segment.

I really like this new Volvo concept car..... I hope it goes to production... Something like this would be perfect for me.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I'm not really sure what cars currently for sale in the US would be an "apples to apples" comparison with the X1. The X1 is the only "luxury" brand to currently sell a small SUV, and none of the other small SUVs on the market have less than 200 hp. The Encore seems as close as any other small SUVs, and some do consider Buick to be a luxury brand (I don't).

Seems that there will be some other models available for sale later in the year as Lexus, Mercedes and Audi all have small SUVs coming soon.
I think Audi Allroad is close enough. I considered it but the Audi lease program is in general not as good as BMW.

The other car to consider is the new Volvo V60. I looked at it in SF auto show and although it was nice, I thought rear head and leg room was lacking. Also the AWD version comes with older engines, only the FWD comes with new 4cyl engine.

In 6 months we will have Q3 and GLA, so competition will heat up. Most tests favor Q3 over X1. In my case I was looking for a lower car and Q3 is 4 inches taller which I don't like because I use the roof rack all the time and it makes a big difference in convenience.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

One of my friends picked up an Encore last year. The first one had several issues that resulted in the dealer taking the vehicle back in exchange for another one. The replacement had issues with the radio where it couldn't pick up any stations without gross amounts of static and the DVD screens (ceiling mounted) rattled incessently. The stitching on the seats was also jacked up. After complaints, GM sent engineers to test the radio and antenna and declared the system to working normally (despite the audibly poor reception). After much ado, a 3rd vehicle was provided (with headrest monitors). The paint is now peeling on the bumper. The vehicle is only a couple of months old.
      02-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Audi Q3 is only coming with that ancient 200hp 2 liter turbo, with a non-DSG 6 speed auto, right? Sounds terrible, I can't believe it's winning any tests against the 240hp 8 speed x1.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

I love the Q3. Would have purchased one if it were sold here a year ago when I got my x1. It does have the DSG (or will with the US release). I had that 2.0/DSG combo on my last car, a MK6 GTI - great power train combo.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

When I first saw the Encore on the road, I thought it was a "Smart" car that someone had jacked up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
I love the Q3. Would have purchased one if it were sold here a year ago when I got my x1. It does have the DSG (or will with the US release). I had that 2.0/DSG combo on my last car, a MK6 GTI - great power train combo.
It will not have the DSG, according to Audi's own press release: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2...-detroit-2014/

Basically, it's the EXACT same same drivetrain you can get in a Tiguan right now, and that thing is a total slushbox, I had one as a loaner this year and it's just plain miserable.

The VW 2.0 TSI is great in the GTI and GLI (which I drive, but w/ a manual), but add a few hundred pounds of weight and a horrid slushbox and you can't even compare the two driving experiences.

The 20% extra HP the x1 brings, are necessary, in my opinion.

Also, sorry for the

Last edited by scottomfg; 02-15-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Had the Q3 been available, we would have given it a hard look. We were shopping during the window when Audi had neither the 5-door hatch A3 nor the trunked A3 available; we would have certainly considered those as well. We have had really positive experiences with an A4 Avant; it has the 2-liter turbo 4 and the six speed automatic (they have since gone to an 8-speed); performance is quite good, as is highway gas mileage. It is my impression that higher-output versions of this powerplant simply involve turning up the boost, a trick that BMW engineers use as well. My bride is lusting after a Q5, and one may be in our future.
The really tall sport-utes never made a lot of sense to be, as they weren't really offroad ready; I've owned a bunch of older Jeeps and never hesitated to take them in harm's way. I see the X1 as more of a 5-door hatch or small wagon, reflected in its relatively lower stance. It's a useful size, and we are quite pleased with it.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Wow what an absurd comparison.

It's really just laughable.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

I like these comparisons. What has to be remembered is the average American's median income and debt. The BMW/Audi/MB segment are expensive vehicles. The Subaru/Buick/etc "contenders" are not as good, but they are much more affordable.
Yes, an X1 with no options is only "a few thousand" more than a loaded contender. So I get why an Encore or Subaru XV is sitting in more driveways.

That said, in America anyway, there is NO contender for the X1. Here is why:

My new X1 with a dealer backed Dinan warranty has 355hp/400tq and weighs 3900lbs. That gives it the speed of the incoming new AMG GLA that is $20,000 more! Please tell me if you know of another CSUV that can be bought, well equipped, with this power/wt ratio and sub 5 second 0-60 for anywhere near $40,000 (I paid about $44,000 with the Dinan tune).

Yes, I would love the AMG GLA, or a X4M, or a Porsche Macan Turbo...
but all of thes "cars" are well into the $60,000+ catagory.
That puts them at the same price point to me as a X1 is to many Subaru/Buick buyers.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackel View Post
I like these comparisons. What has to be remembered is the average American's median income and debt. The BMW/Audi/MB segment are expensive vehicles. The Subaru/Buick/etc "contenders" are not as good, but they are much more affordable.
Yes, an X1 with no options is only "a few thousand" more than a loaded contender. So I get why an Encore or Subaru XV is sitting in more driveways.

That said, in America anyway, there is NO contender for the X1. Here is why:

My new X1 with a dealer backed Dinan warranty has 355hp/400tq and weighs 3900lbs. That gives it the speed of the incoming new AMG GLA that is $20,000 more! Please tell me if you know of another CSUV that can be bought, well equipped, with this power/wt ratio and sub 5 second 0-60 for anywhere near $40,000 (I paid about $44,000 with the Dinan tune).

Yes, I would love the AMG GLA, or a X4M, or a Porsche Macan Turbo...
but all of thes "cars" are well into the $60,000+ catagory.
That puts them at the same price point to me as a X1 is to many Subaru/Buick buyers.
Yes, the 3.5 with a Dinan tune is obviously a different car than my regular stock 2.8. And even my 2.8 is much faster than any of the other vehicles in this segment. It's nice to have a fast car, but that is not the main reason I chose to get a small SUV, and I suspect the same applies to many others who are shopping for one.

For me the main concerns were to have a higher seating position for my bad back, and to have AWD so I can drive during the terrible Northeast winters we sometimes have. After those main concerns are addressed, then of course it is nice to have a good looking car with the right mix of features, and performance comes somewhere after that. For me utility and back seat space is NOT a concern, but for many I think that is also a reason they go with an SUV.

So for the average shopper looking for a small SUV, the X1 can indeed be compared to some of these other cars. The lease on my X1 was about the same as if I had leased a fully loaded Honda CRV and was slightly less than if I had leased a fully loaded Mazda CX5. So those cars can be compared to the X1. Not in terms of 0-60 times, but in terms of the things that are most important to most shoppers.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

You can not compare a tuned engine to a stock engine.
355hp isn't stock right? And 20.000 dollars more, common, you got a full option MB compared to a empty BMW?
The 2.0 petrol (A/CLA/GLA) can be tuned to 450hp already.
That is 100hp more then the one you are talking about and again it isn't to compare because of of a 3000cc you could get more then out of a 2000cc, this last one is much better for road taxes however.

BMW, Audi and Mercedes are to compare. Sometimes people say 'they don't make bad cars anymore' but sometimes it is more like 'they don't make it a solid as they used to do'. Thing is, this is for all brands.

I don't like the way Audi's are looking with exception of the A3, always have being like that. I never tested the Q3 or other SUV's, will test the GLA4.5AMG. X1 looked good and when reading and viewing reviews I knew the car was good. Also I knew the coming up GLA/X4 as the X6 where to expensive.

Somebody mentioned the Evoque, is it a very nice looking car but I think it is even higher on the segment, more a X3/Q5 to compare, not sure actually.

When need to go cheaper a Hyundai ix35 is nice, a nice looking car and also good to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Beemer,
Outside America you guys have many great options. I am quite jealous of the vehicles that can be bought in Europe.

But I am comparing apples to apples. Yes, you can "soup up" any car to ultra high HP. Been there and done that. And, generally speaking, you end up with a very fast and completely unreliable vehicle.

I am only comparing SUVs in America with a fully backed warranty. If my car "breaks" they give me a loaner and an apology, with no bill. It is my one and only daily driver, so it has to be 100% dependable for 15,000+ miles a year. At 5800+ altitude with changing temperatures (very cold to very hot).
So, any fully warrantied new SUVs in America that are as quick for similar money??

I am not a "BMW bigot" (although I do love their products), I considered many brands. Especially MB & Audi.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

If I want super fast, highly modified speed my motorcycle is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackel View Post
Beemer,
Outside America you guys have many great options. I am quite jealous of the vehicles that can be bought in Europe.

But I am comparing apples to apples. Yes, you can "soup up" any car to ultra high HP. Been there and done that. And, generally speaking, you end up with a very fast and completely unreliable vehicle.

I am only comparing SUVs in America with a fully backed warranty. If my car "breaks" they give me a loaner and an apology, with no bill. It is my one and only daily driver, so it has to be 100% dependable for 15,000+ miles a year. At 5800+ altitude with changing temperatures (very cold to very hot).
So, any fully warrantied new SUVs in America that are as quick for similar money??

I am not a "BMW bigot" (although I do love their products), I considered many brands. Especially MB & Audi.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

If I want super fast, highly modified speed my motorcycle is the way to go.

I agree here...

In response to Beemer...Even AMG engines are "tuned..." Only difference is the "factory" warranty aspect and the "hand built" marketing BS that comes with the AMG "nameplate".

While I have not taken the Dinan "tune" to my X1 35i, I am considering the JB4. It will be a great "sleeper."

The X1 I have is fully loaded and I have it now, with several years under the model, instead of waiting for a new 2015 GLA AMG and the teething pain associated with a new model release ( especially MB... I had a 1998 ML when they first came out and made MB buy it back because it was so bad...)

All in all, for what is available now, and for the next year or so, X1 35i is the best available performance CUV
Appreciate 0