XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Do you really like all these complex controls?

Just curious. Do you guys like all these over-complicated (IMO) controls? For instance - wiper control. 4-way with a button and a dial. My wife still can not. She always turns the blinker on instead of the wiper. I think it might be just plain dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

I don't find that it's complicated, just illogical and limiting.

How do you wipe both the front and rear windows at the same time?
How do you spray without wiping?
How do you prevent the headlights from being sprayed?

(I'd really like to know the answer to the latter, because the alcohols in windshield fluid will, over time, cloud the plastic.)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post

(I'd really like to know the answer to the latter, because the alcohols in windshield fluid will, over time, cloud the plastic.)
That last one bugged me on the 335 and it still does so on the wife's 335. As I understand it, there's nothing you can do about it other than changing the coding, and even then it's a case of either having them "on" or "off" in the coding itself......you don't get to choose when they spray with a button press (or series of them).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Quote:
illogical
That's it - that's the word. I always have to think before doing anything. It really is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I guess after a few BMW's it actually feels pretty natural. My only frequent issue is that I can never find the window switches on the center console.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:

Turn off the lights, spray and turn them on again.
Why would you spray without wiping? That's just blinding yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Another control issue- just like the E90, the x1 wastes a steering wheel button on controlling cabin air re-circulation. Who asked for that? It would be great if that button was re programmable. Overall, the learning curve in running this generation of BMW cockpits is a bit steep.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28i USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
...the x1 wastes a steering wheel button on controlling cabin air re-circulation. Who asked for that?
I think it is great.

The controls did take a bit to get used to -- coming from a 2002 330i, but now (after 7,000 miles) all is good.
      04-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
eric9610
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Telsa Model YLR

I have found no issues using the controls. That also may be because the X1 is my 7th BMW, for the most part BMW's controls have stayed the same over the last 20years with the exception of idrive. If you want to talk about crazy controls get in a Mercedes, on stock controls everything, Cruse control, wipers, blinker.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
Why would you spray without wiping? That's just blinding yourself.
You must live in a warmer climate than I do.
When you have a layer of frost on the windshield, you do not want to run the wipers until it has melted. Spraying helps melt the frost, but not instantly.
The alternative is having to scrape the windshield, which isn't all that fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
Another control issue- just like the E90, the x1 wastes a steering wheel button on controlling cabin air re-circulation. Who asked for that? It would be great if that button was re programmable. Overall, the learning curve in running this generation of BMW cockpits is a bit steep.
I know what I would assign it to, Auto Start/Stop!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

My previous ride was Honda Crosstour and of course, controls in their cars are totally different, especially cruise control. I've nearly 10k miles on my X1 now and I still get mixed up! Sometimes, I want to turn left or right, and end up using the cruise control stalk to signal !

I find the Navigation system especially maddening! The design engineers must've been smoking the funny stuff when they put that box together!

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I know what I would assign it to, Auto Start/Stop!
I'd like to have it cycle through the playback devices or radio stations. The other three controls there are for the audio anyhow.
Switching to the next unprogrammed/discovered station in radio mode, or from hard drive to bluetooth to aux to CD in multimedia mode would make sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

Quote:

Move stick up or auto would wipe the front, then push it down to start the rear. The rear would only do intermediate wipe unless in reverse gear, which will change to continuous. The rear control works independently with the front in a way, as you can push the stick down at any position. What I actually dislike is how hard to move the stick back up without going into the spray mode. The force has to be just right without pulling it over the "neutral" position.

Fine pulling force is required again here. A very quick pull of the wiper control towards yourself would enable a quick spray but has to let go before the wipers are engaged. It is possible.

Similar to "spray without wiping", but you have to pull the wiper control towards yourself a bit longer, and let go right after the wipers are engaged. Do not wait till the wipers complete it's wiping cycle. It has to be let go right after the wipers start wiping. Holding the stick any longer will engage the headlight washer jets.

Practice makes perfect
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
nospam
Captain
Rep

I've been using iDrive since 2010 and I find the BMW Nav to be the best OEM system available (I don't like touch screens or systems that won't let you enter addresses while the car is in motion, even by the passenger). There is a learning curve but once you learn the quirks it is a great system. Using voice recognition to enter addresses works well as does google search using MyBMW App on iPhone to send to iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to have it cycle through the playback devices or radio stations. The other three controls there are for the audio anyhow.
Switching to the next unprogrammed/discovered station in radio mode, or from hard drive to bluetooth to aux to CD in multimedia mode would make sense.
I hear you regarding selecting the playback devices. The arrow buttons already perform the next/previous radio station function.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The arrow buttons already perform the next/previous radio station function.
I thought those only switched between preset stations?
If they do all stations, the "spare" button could switch between AM/FM (and DAB for Europe) when in Radio mode.

Anyhow, I still haven't figured out how the two identical air circulation buttons work. You can switch between A and M, presumably Automatic and Manual, but how do you switch between recirculated and fresh air when in manual?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Anyhow, I still haven't figured out how the two identical air circulation buttons work. You can switch between A and M, presumably Automatic and Manual, but how do you switch between recirculated and fresh air when in manual?
Set it to M on the dash, then the steering wheel control will switch between recirculated and fresh air.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Set it to M on the dash, then the steering wheel control will switch between recirculated and fresh air.
Are you certain? On my X1, the steering wheel button switches it back and forth between A and M, just like the console button does.

Or do you mean that if it's switched to M, but only if switched to M from the console, the steering wheel button will no longer switch between A and M but between recirculated and fresh air?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I don't have an X1 but an E90 which I think have many of the same switches. The wiper switch is a breeze, it just takes getting used to. It makes perfect sense to push it more often to get to a faster wiper speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #21
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are you certain? On my X1, the steering wheel button switches it back and forth between A and M, just like the console button does.

Or do you mean that if it's switched to M, but only if switched to M from the console, the steering wheel button will no longer switch between A and M but between recirculated and fresh air?
Yes, its either M or off from the console and then the steering wheel will switch between recirculated and fresh air.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, its either M or off from the console and then the steering wheel will switch between recirculated and fresh air.
I figured it out - it's so needlessly complex that even the person writing the manual got it wrong:

"A" (default) means Automatic, i.e. fresh air, unless the air intake detects pollution.
"M" does not mean Manual, but recirculated air. M for ... Miefen?
Off (neither A nor M) means fresh air.

The button on the console will cycle between these three.

The button on the steering wheel will, if pressed when X is lit do:
X = Off: Cycle between Off (fresh) and M (recirculated)
X = "A": Cycle between A (auto) and M (recirculated)
X = "M": Cycle between Off (fresh) and M (recirculated)

Note that the last one is at odds with what the manual states, because if switched to M on the console, the last setting was A, but if pressing the wheel button, it goes to Off instead of A.

Note that it doesn't do anything that the console button doesn't already do. It can save you a button press -- unless you wanted the third setting it can't currently set, in which case it is more likely to cause you to swear and have to press an extra button or two.

Another WTF is the A/C, which is on by default. If reading the manual, you'll discover that if it is on, and the ambient temperature is lower than the desired temperature (like winter or night), it is not ignored, as one might think.
Instead, it will first cool down the outside air further through the A/C, before warming it up again through the heater.
This is surely burning quite a bit of fuel for the possible benefit[*] of reducing humidity.
I've read studies that a car A/C can cause around 10% difference in fuel economy, so this is one thing to beware of!
[*]: If you live in a high humidity area, I can see it being useful. If you live inland, the problem is more often too dry air when it's cold.
Appreciate 0