Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

A few comments after a few months

Noticed that some members were chiming in on their thoughts after a year or so. I thought I would share some of my observations.

I picked mine up in November as a replacement for a Countryman All4. In terms of fit and finish, I would say it is excellent. I am very happy with the interior layout and believe that I got what I payed for. By that, I notice that the doors do not have the solid thud that one finds with an X3 or X5.

Drivetrain wise, I can't say that I have driven another BMW automatic that works better or is better suited to an engine than this one. I have the 4 cyl N20 petrol/gas engine and in DS mode, the vehicle's shift points just seem to be so well suited to the engine. I can't say that the sound is as endearing as an inline 6. Fuel economy wise, I have to say that for my drive cycle, I am only getting about 480km to a tank. Most of my commute to work each day is on an expressway at about 110km/hr, so I am holding out that this will get better over time, especially during warmer seasons.

Heat wise (for us people in the land of snow), I find that the X1 throws out warm air following a cold start very very quickly. I am very impressed with that. The seat heaters, on the other hand, are slow. I am not sure why that is so, considering that the E70 X5 and e92 M3 are both equally fast. It would be nice if there was consistency across the line.

Other things...I have a pretty loaded model with the sports package/seats, etc. Love the panoramic roof. A simple Apple USB charge cable plugged into the USB port charges my iPhone/iPod and provides integration. Handling pretty good, but I definitely think this vehicle would benefit from a strut bar in the front. I opted for the BMW factory winter tire package with run flat Dunlop M3s. They are amazing in the snow and on ice.

That is it for now. I will write some more as time goes, likely once I we hit spring and the summer wheels go on.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Thanks. We don't have the X1 here in the USA although word is that it's coming sometimes soon. So I'm considering it against the new 328i which also has the N20 engine and 8 speed transmission. The 328ix version comes in the fall time.

Can you feel the acceleration or g-forces in the seat of your pants? From everything I read, that little 4 cylinder engine is quick. In the 328i it does 0-60 MPH in 6 seconds. That's absolutely incredible for such a heavy car. Does the feeling match the numbers?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Hey JoeyO, As I wrote in another Post I had the chance to drive side by side a 2011 328i XDrive with the 6cyl 230 hp and the X1 XDrive 28i with the N20 4Cyl.

The engine is really good believe me. But, I have to admit that the 328i xdrive is a lot "sportier" than the X1. Suspension and gravity center I think. If like me you need the extra cargo space the 40-20-40 rear seat split and your falling for the panoramic sunroff (I did) the X1 is for you.

If this BMW is your "second car" in that you already own something for family trip and you really want to "feel" what the "Ultimate driving machine" means ... Then go with the 328i with the N20 when it's available on US soil.

Believe me, I had never ever drove a car that is more "glued" the the tarmac. This new 328i is taking the "bar" a little higher if we believe all the reviews so Go for it. But again, If you need some extra space and cargo, you won't be disapointed by the X1. It is an all around damn good BMW.

Have a nice Day :- )
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

Yeah I did the back to back with a 328ix Touring with it's Auto, the 328ix Sedan (as they had no tourings in manual on the lot) in manual and also an X3 (on a different night). The X1 is very surprising. I think it's because you look at it and think "baby X3". But once you stop looking at it like a truck (which it really isn't) and more like a car, it starts to make sense.

The X3 just felt like we were driving a truck/suv which neither of us care for. I did not care for the 328ix's auto (2011 model). And while I prefer manual, I did not dislike the 8AT here. After driving the car for the past 5 months now, I don't regret our choice with this 8AT. When I need to make maneuvers, the manual shifting is quick and on-demand. When I'm just putting around, traffic, whatever, the auto helps with the fuel economy with it's "D" mode shift points.

The car has become a perfect fit for my family right now (3 of us). It doesn't quite have the utility our Honda Fit did, but we're pretty much done home reno's anyhow.

Loaded it's a bit too expensive IMO. But if you can live with it in base trim, I'm not sure anything else can really touch it.

If you don't need the space... (i.e. if I didn't need the utility of it) I would likely be all over the new 328. Looks like there's a lot to like in that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Kind of hard to answer. I would agree that the 328i would give a better sensation of oomph in the seat. I would say it is pretty peppy though, keeping in mind that I always drive in DS mode. In DS, depending on how you modulate your right foot, you can get the shifts at 5000rpm and it pulls pretty good. In manumatic, self-shifting, I find that constant shifts at about 4000 will have you working up to 100km/h pretty quickly.

Having said that, my summer car is an e92 M3, so a kick in the pants feeling is relative!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Kampungboy
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: X1 18i Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Kind of hard to answer. I would agree that the 328i would give a better sensation of oomph in the seat. I would say it is pretty peppy though, keeping in mind that I always drive in DS mode. In DS, depending on how you modulate your right foot, you can get the shifts at 5000rpm and it pulls pretty good. In manumatic, self-shifting, I find that constant shifts at about 4000 will have you working up to 100km/h pretty quickly.

Having said that, my summer car is an e92 M3, so a kick in the pants feeling is relative!
Does anyone know what is the gear ratio in DS mode? Is it still having 6 gear or less?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Thanks everyone. Good feedback. I'm going to have to test drive all these models (with the N20 engine) when they comes to the states.
Appreciate 0