E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive is out, no sound either...

05-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
330iLiiike
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

iDrive is out, no sound either...

My first post ever...not a good one

I have experienced some issues with the idrive since Ive owned the car(bought it used about 18months ago)

When I would get in to start the car in the morning the date and time settings would be blank, no sound, and the idrive controller nob woul dspin freely. After approx 20 minutes the system would reset...screen goes black, BMW logo appeares and sound, date and time come back on, everything restored and working properly

This happend prob 5or 6 times over a 6 month period... since car was still under warranty I repported the problem to the dealership and assumed it would be fixed... No issues for maybe the next 6months...

Since then the cars warranty has expired and I recently experienced the resetting issue again, HOWEVER this time the entire system shut down. Now the sreen is blacked out, no sound, the controll nob just spins freely, and cant eject cd and nav dvd from drives. A small fan seems to be running constantly within that part of the dashboard... I belive that may be draining my battery because i HAD TO JUMP THE CAR TODAY, completly dead when I went out to start it

PLEASE HELP!! any ideas, suggestions, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
330iLiiike
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Any ideas...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Since this seems to be in many ways the same problem that was supposed to be fixed under warranty I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it properly. I doubt it is a problem any of us can diagnose or offer much great advice for except maybe check the fuse. Also I would post this in the general section so more folks see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Rydawg1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I had the same issue except my idrive screen was stuck on the BMW splash screen, turns out the CCC was the culprit. They replaced it, reprogramed the modules and it's back to normal. I agree with Pruett that since this issue existed prior to the warranty expiring that they should cover it. I would start off by calling your service advisor and let him know your situation.
mods to come...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

I think it's a hardware problem, but have you tried resetting the idrive? I think you hold both eject buttons.

Take it to the dealer though you should be good.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
surferfl7
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

This is exactly what happened to me a couple of weeks ago and since my car is out of the 50,000 mile warranty I am in the same boat as you. I've been researching this fault and have found that this is a pretty frequent problem and as Rydawg said its most likely the CCC has to be replaced.

Taking it to BMW to get it replaced will cost quite a bit as I believe the unit is around $1500 plus it needs to be programmed so I have been contemplating going with an aftermarket unit like the Pioneer z110bt and having it installed since I'm sure there is a way to use the I-drive screen as an extra monitor.

Oh and the fan will drain your battery I let the car sit for two days and the battery was completely dead so I took the radio out and unplugged all the connections to remedy this (at first I just unplugged the fan but there apparently was power still being drawn from the radio).

Good luck with the situation and please let me know if you find out anything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
This sounds like you're car is not charging correctly. I know you mentioned something about the battery, did you replace it? Our cars will shut off accessories to prevent the battery from dying. Did you check your alternator? Don't assume the iDrive just went out. Is there any way you can swap your battery for someone elses? Preferably the same model as yours. Have you check connections in the back of the HU? Those connections are pretty snug but it is possible part of the harness is defective or the like. Are your symptoms just with the iDrive? Are other accessories out as well? BMW assist? Bluetooth module?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
m3kenny
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

I have a 2008 M3 Sedan which I purchased a few weeks ago from a private dealer and after all the hype of buying it had settled, I realized I had no sound and the bluetooth wouldn't pair my phone. I took it back to the private dealer, who have sent it to BMW a few blocks away. I think the iDrive system is messed up, they have had the car for 4 days. Bottom line is, these are computers and computers become corrupt sometimes. I guess we live in an age where we've moved from where rust was a big issue in cars to computers causing us headaches.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
m3kenny
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

An update on this, please help.

So apparently my car (2008 M3 Sedan still under factory warranty) is missing a module that controls the sound and bluetooth functions, maybe more, but those are the things I reported as messed up.

The private dealer who I took it back wasn't sure whether this would be covered under warranty from BMW (the car is with a BMW dealership now).

Has anyone heard of missing modules before???
Appreciate 1