XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #111
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

How about this bad boy... with a simple tune

Seriously though, the X1 seems like a great car, and that would be very impressive to see one doing a sub 12 sec 1/4 or sub 4 sec 0-60. If there's any takers would love to watch and participate, as this is all in good fun, and would love to see a new "SUV/SAV" category in roll-racing or 1/4's or any other race for that matter. Good luck and keep us posted...

Last edited by klammer; 03-01-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #112
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
The X1 (35i) IS a great vehicle. A entry level BMW suv/sav that is comfortable, pounds on 99% of its competitors and is faster than 95% of all vehicles on the road...STOCK. Modding it and saying it's faster then XYZ stock is just plain dumb.

That AMG is sick!!!

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #113
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
How about this bad boy... with a simple tune

Seriously though, the X1 seems like a great car, and that would be very impressive to see one doing a sub 12 sec 1/4 or sub 4 sec 0-60. If there's any takers would love to watch and participate, as this is all in good fun, and would love to see a new "SUV/SAV" category in roll-racing or 1/4's or any other race for that matter. Good luck and keep us posted...
There's no way the X1 is going to get sub 12 seconds without downpipes plus weight reduction. I'm guessing my X1 will be somewhere around 12.5. The 0-60 is easier because of AWD.

That Amg....creation...is insane. Was that on Jalopnik a while back? I saw it somewhere....didn't some Russian have it modified?

BTW, found a more representative dyno chart of a car without downpipes. This is exactly what my X1 should have.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 03-01-2013 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #114
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
and the M3 will drop ten times as many panties as the X1.
Oh man!, If only I would have known this a month ago!
      03-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #115
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Funny, I don't see any modded X1 timeslips in your list of "facts." Why don't you go run a quarter with your beast and then post the numbers for us?

My guess is you barely trap above 100mph and/or barely get into the 12s. Which means under 90% of real-world driving situations, a stock M3 will out accelerate your SAV. (Around here, speed limits on arterial roads are 55+ and freeway traffic regularly goes 85+)

But by all means, prove us all wrong. But please do so with "facts" from your own vehicle, or at least your own vehicle type. I, for one, would love to find out the results.

P.S. Who threatens to race other people for pink slips over the internet anymore? Do you live with your parents?
      03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #116
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusM3 View Post

Funny, I don't see any modded X1 timeslips in your list of "facts." Why don't you go run a quarter with your beast and then post the numbers for us?

My guess is you barely trap above 100mph and/or barely get into the 12s. Which means under 90% of real-world driving situations, a stock M3 will out accelerate your SAV. (Around here, speed limits on arterial roads are 55+ and freeway traffic regularly goes 85+)

But by all means, prove us all wrong. But please do so with "facts" from your own vehicle, or at least your own vehicle type. I, for one, would love to find out the results.

P.S. Who threatens to race other people for pink slips over the internet anymore? Do you live with your parents?
I plan on it as soon as Edgewater opens.

But you should know, a 100% stock X1 traps 99.2mph @ 13.8 - on a slow track of 1100ft elevation, on 91 octane, and on all season tires with traction control on. It's interesting you think adding some Pirelli P Zero's, 100 WHP and 170lbft torque translates to only a .8mph improvement

At the same track (edmunds test track), the M3 did 12.9 @ 111.0. So we're talking a .9s difference and 11.8mph trap speed stock, even taking into account the M3's advantages like launch control, real performance tires, etc.

Add good tires, disable DTC, and 100whp and 170lbft torque to the X1 and that differential should shrink very quickly.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 03-01-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #117
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
That Amg....creation...is insane. Was that on Jalopnik a while back? I saw it somewhere....didn't some Russian have it modified?
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
1934 Gelendewagen 4
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #118
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
I said the X1 is faster around a road course or a better car than the M3.
I win $2k. PM me for address. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #119
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

There are so many assumptions and so much misinformation in this thread it reminds me of why message boards can be so dangerous to people who buy this crap as truth.

Turbo motors are finicky? (ridiculously general and wrong) A STOCK m3 is "probably" more reliable than a modded x1? (Ummm, bite the bullet here, this is just a dumb statement) Dinan is warrantied? (wrong, this is a dealers choice, not a BMW certified modification) You can return to stock and a dealer won't know? (Also wrong, and fraud by the way, but for most modern cars the dealer can look at past parameters and immediately flag that th car has been modified. "Gee, sir, says here you were at 125% throttle, how did that happen? DENIED)

My C63 traps 115-118 bone stock. Thats what matters. Who will be passing who at that speed. If you pick up 20mph with your mods, congratulations, really, would be great. Love the X1, especially a modded 35i, it's a little rocket. But you've made these arrogant (and uninformed) comments before in threads about thinking you're going to be out walking anyone and everyone with your little 12.9 supercar, and dude, it's a great car, but really your approach to this whole thing (espcially the misinformaton you use to prove a point) sucks. There's always someone faster, so why go into any conversation thinking your the big fish. In a sea of Kia's sure our cars are great, throw us in the shark tank with some TT Gallardos and we now drive matchbox cars, but who cares, everything isn't a competition just enjoy.

It's a great car, and it's awesome you're modding it. Leave it at that!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #120
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
I win $2k. PM me for address. Thanks!

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #121
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
There are so many assumptions and so much misinformation in this thread it reminds me of why message boards can be so dangerous to people who buy this crap as truth.

Turbo motors are finicky? (ridiculously general and wrong) A STOCK m3 is "probably" more reliable than a modded x1? (Ummm, bite the bullet here, this is just a dumb statement) Dinan is warrantied? (wrong, this is a dealers choice, not a BMW certified modification) You can return to stock and a dealer won't know? (Also wrong, and fraud by the way, but for most modern cars the dealer can look at past parameters and immediately flag that th car has been modified. "Gee, sir, says here you were at 125% throttle, how did that happen? DENIED)
Dinan provides their own warranty - I never said it was BMW's. You're not very familiar with tunes based on your comments - piggyback tunes manipulate the data the ECU sees so it doesn't actually know it was ever out of spec. Many cars have been through PUMA cases for even turbo replacements and have not had a problem. You're right about one thing though - whether or not it's morally right is questionable and up to each person to decide.

Quote:
My C63 traps 115-118 bone stock. Thats what matters. Who will be passing who at that speed.
The C63, clearly. But I have no idea why we're even talking about the C63 - especially seeing as how it's faster than the M3.

Quote:
If you pick up 20mph with your mods, congratulations, really, would be great. Love the X1, especially a modded 35i, it's a little rocket. But you've made these arrogant (and uninformed) comments before in threads about thinking you're going to be out walking anyone and everyone with your little 12.9 supercar, and dude, it's a great car, but really your approach to this whole thing (espcially the misinformaton you use to prove a point) sucks.
No way I'll pick up 20mph. But that 12.9 is one of the reasons I'm so confident. I ran a 12.92 without e85. That's why it's cracking me up how people think the X1 will "barely" break 12's - it traps 100mph stock!

Quote:
There's always someone faster, so why go into any conversation thinking your the big fish. In a sea of Kia's sure our cars are great, throw us in the shark tank with some TT Gallardos and we now drive matchbox cars, but who cares, everything isn't a competition just enjoy.
Ah, that's the thing - read my original posts. I did not come in here thinking the X1 was a Ferrari worldbeater. Granted, my first post was a tongue in cheek offer to race a 135 owner for pink slips who claimed that the X1 checked "0 of three" boxes including performance. I thought it was funny that a car with the same engine as his magically was a poor performer, especially when it is already the fastest car in its segment stock and that mine was faster than his with a simple tune. Clearly, he was trolling. But after that, I merely stated that the X1 fit several of my criteria to buy - including that it's faster than a M3 in a straight line.

I was actually going to originally buy the M3 (my company was supposed to lease me a second company car) but when that fell through I needed something more practical. I figured hey, what the heck - if I can't drive the M3, at least a modded X1 is as fast in a straight line, which is the most often-used type of speed on the street.

It's only when people came in here - from the M3 forum pretending to be some sort of forum warriors, don't forget - and starting misrepresenting what I was saying that I started explaining why I believe it to be faster.

And again, I'll point out that I've not only posted dyno's of the N55 making massively more torque and equivalent horsepower to the M3, shown timeslips of a 335 xdrive (which is the EXACT same weight and drivetrain as the X1) beating the M3 in a straight line, but I've even offered to buy a M3 owner dinner if he's willing to race me and have it videotaped! If you're going to come in here threadcrap, at least have the balls to back it up.

I might win, I might lose, but I'll tell you one thing - if a stock M3 is willing to race me at Edgewater, you can be damn sure that I'll be there ready to go.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 03-02-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #122
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw X1 35i X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I'm so confused by this post...
dont know whats confusing! just got tired of hearing how fast the E92 M3 is, this is the X1 forum, correct? just stating that the e92 M3 IMHO is a slug of a car, not impressive at all, Bmw's poor attempt at a M Status car not even fast, even a x5 M you cn say what a fast fun to drive suv, i cant say the same for the m3...they needed to put a v8 twin turbo in it instead they used a slimmed down 4.0 liter instead of 5 liter version of a engine they used in the 2000 M5,
      03-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #123
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
Just stop man. Enough is enough. Your opinions are somewhat mute at this point and it's kind of sad.
What are you talking about? Think you need to look at the user name before commenting, i think your talking about someone else!
      03-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #124
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
Correct, I meant 'moot'. And if that first sentence is any indication of your grammar, I'm very surprised you were able to correct me.

And I don't really care who he is. Listing all the cars you've owned since 1984 as a way to prove that you've experienced variety is a tool thing to do. Nobody really cares that he claims to have owned 25+ cars. That's it, that's all. Sorry for commenting on this "discussion".
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Conspicuously absent is your BMW 540i 6spd??? I just assumed..:.
My partner had a 1998 Bmw 540 Sport 6 speed, i liked the name had it since 2000, he was more into Bmw's, I always thought they fell short in the performance area, I was always impressed with AMG products, but eventually i bought a M3 cabrio and really enjoyed the car, and like i stated one of my top favorites was the 2006 Bmw M6, as for claims of owning these cars i could care less what someone thinks of me, im happy that ive had the oppurtunity to own and drive such wonderful cars, i was just stating that my impression of the 2008 M3 was horrible, a tired heavy, slow slug of a car, i guess that would explain the loss people took the first six months, i was offered am2008 M3 conv for invoice when it first arrived at the dealership, i usually get good deals as i change cars quite often to keep up with the latest greatest, two months later i was offered the same equip car for $5k off invoice, that shows it was not a good seller, i remember guys that ordered the new m3 and could not wait to get it and when they drove it they commented that they liked their e46 m3 better, bmw made the same mistake with the 850 series, made the car so heavy it lacked the fun factor of bmw, i was more impressed with the 335 convert thats why i bought it instead it is such a fun car to drive, i promise you its been many years since ive driven my parents cars, i just enjoy cars and lucky my lifestyle affords me the privilege......worst car i owned was the diablo, what a plie of crap, beautiful to look at but thats where it ended, and if your happy with your m3 good for you....thats all that matters, so i guess thats what its come down to m3 owners stalking the x1 forum to make them feel good about their vehicle, lol
      03-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #125
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Conspicuously absent is your BMW 540i 6spd??? I just assumed..:.
no my partner had a 1998 Bmw 540 6 speed and the name stuck, we have had this id for over 10 years now....he was more into Bmw's then me...
      03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #126
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
I plan on it as soon as Edgewater opens.

But you should know, a 100% stock X1 traps 99.2mph @ 13.8 - on a slow track of 1100ft elevation, on 91 octane, and on all season tires with traction control on. It's interesting you think adding some Pirelli P Zero's, 100 WHP and 170lbft torque translates to only a .8mph improvement

At the same track (edmunds test track), the M3 did 12.9 @ 111.0. So we're talking a .9s difference and 11.8mph trap speed stock, even taking into account the M3's advantages like launch control, real performance tires, etc.

Add good tires, disable DTC, and 100whp and 170lbft torque to the X1 and that differential should shrink very quickly.

It's really funny how your bravado diminishes with every post. Do I need to remind you that you started all of this with your statement that an X1 will "beat an M3 in a straight line with a simple tune."

Now it's obvious you've backed well off of that statement, for good reason. Your car does not have just a "simple tune", nor has it been proven capable of beating any stock M3s in a straight line. (All you do is push forward hypotheticals and counterfactuals, with your hand-picked examples of some of the worst timeslips available for the E92 M3, and under your arbitrary assumptions and speed limit rules that serve only to disadvantage the M3. Even with that, the best you can do is claim a tie that you haven't proven.)

Speaking for myself and my friends, most of us M fans are BMW fans in general, and we like seeing fellow BMW enthusiasts do well. It's your puerile demeanor, your childish demands to race strangers for pink slips (against cars with mods that would beat you, no less!), and your false and unjustified assertions, that make people criticize you. Even the C63 owner commented on your unjustified arrogance. You play like a troll, you get treated like a troll.

For me, I think the X1 is a nice cute little car. I look forward to seeing your timeslips posted on dragtimes. Now that I know it can be made somewhat quick, maybe I'll get the wife one soon
      03-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #127
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusM3 View Post

It's really funny how your bravado diminishes with every post. Do I need to remind you that you started all of this with your statement that an X1 will "beat an M3 in a straight line with a simple tune."
Just to clarify, I still believe that. I'm not backing off anything.

Quote:
Now it's obvious you've backed well off of that statement, for good reason. Your car does not have just a "simple tune", nor has it been proven capable of beating any stock M3s in a straight line.
Yes it does. I have two aftermarket parts on my car - a simple JB4 tune and a chargepipe (which is for reliability and does not add any power). I got my tune for $400 brand new from a user on these forums (and added $30 flexfuel wires) and the chargepipe is $219 new. I can take both of them off and be entirely stock in under 30 minutes flat.

Quote:
(All you do is push forward hypotheticals and counterfactuals, with your hand-picked examples of some of the worst timeslips available for the E92 M3, and under your arbitrary assumptions and speed limit rules that serve only to disadvantage the M3. Even with that, the best you can do is claim a tie that you haven't proven.)
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Your comment about "cherry picking" is incorrect because the X1 was on the same track. Clearly it's a slow track - the M3 is really a mid 12 second car (high 12's with the slower manual transmission), but that means the X1 ran a slow time too. I chose times ran by the same organization on the same exact track. Edmunds found the M3 to run a 12.9 on the same track that the X1 ran a 13.8. There was a 11mph difference in trap speed. Same altitude, conditions, everything. You can bitch all you want, but as far as I can find on Google this is the only data available between the X1 and M3 on the same track.

If you're going to claim that there is a greater differential between the M3 and the X1, the onus is on you to prove me (and Edmunds) wrong. I'm the only one that's posted data here.

The X1 that Edmunds tested further had all season tires on it; mine came from the factory with Pirelli P Zero's. That alone is good for .1 seconds along with disabling DTC.

The point I am making is that on the same track under the same conditions, there is a .9 second differential between a stock M3 and a stock X1 with all season tires. If you've ever been to the track before you should realize that adding 100WHP and performance tires to a car is good for easily a full second on cars of these weight, which would put the X1 in front of the M3.

So I assume you have proof that Edmunds is wrong since you're so confident of your claims? I wish I could find another publication that tested both, but Car and Driver only tested the 28i in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 03-03-2013 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #128
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Yes it does. I have two aftermarket parts on my car - a simple JB4 tune and a chargepipe (which is for reliability and does not add any power).
First quote - you have 2 mods, and 1 adds no power. Your words, no argument (I don't know any better frankly), just restating.

Quote:
The point I am making is that on the same track under the same conditions, there is a .9 second differential between a stock M3 and a stock X1 with all season tires. If you've ever been to the track before you should realize that adding 100WHP and performance tires to a car is good for easily a full second on cars of these weight, which would put the X1 in front of the M3.
Second quote, adding 100whp & "performance tires" = a "full second" in the quarter, which will apparently elevate an X1 to becoming faster than an M3. Your words.

One can deduce from these 2 quotes that you are saying your JB4 tune is good for 100whp on your otherwise stock car?

Please clarify.

Not taking into account other fallacies here (magazine racing, p-zeros as "performance tires" etc), just seeing if I'm missing something within your very clear statements.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #129
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
First quote - you have 2 mods, and 1 adds no power. Your words, no argument (I don't know any better frankly), just restating.
Okay - one power adding mod which is what every rational adult understood the meaning to be. I could remove the chargepipe and still be faster than a M3. Wouldn't last very long, but hey - you seem to be into technicalities.

Quote:
Second quote, adding 100whp & "performance tires" = a "full second" in the quarter, which will apparently elevate an X1 to becoming faster than an M3. Your words. One can deduce from these 2 quotes that you are saying your JB4 tune is good for 100whp on your otherwise stock car?
Yes, did you miss the dyno sheet I posted of a N55 with a JB4 ISO on Map 5? 370whp. That's 100whp over what a stock N55 produces. The only thing that car had that mine didn't was a BMS intake, which is good for maybe 2whp....if anything.

Quote:
Not taking into account other fallacies here (magazine racing, p-zeros as "performance tires" etc), just seeing if I'm missing something within your very clear statements.
Fallacies? As I said earlier, it's up to you to find magazines that have raced both the X1 and the M3. I looked hard but Edmunds is all I could find, and we all know that comparing times against tracks at different elevations is stupid.

And P-zero's are Max Performance tires, not performance tires. My bad! I'm glad you pointed that out though, as it only further helps my case.

Anything else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #130
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep

Quote:
:

Dude, that post is laughable.
the post is laughable, thinking a e92 M3 is a fast car at all is funny! Its a slug! As long as your happy with one, who cares! I'm just glad I never purchased one, and the costs to modify one is horrific, $$ vs. hp! Buy a 335 spend a grand and you will have a faster, fun driving car! oh and get better gas mileage too. I also doubt your claims of a X1 35i with a few mods not being able to beat a stock M3, I wont know for sure until my down pipes are installed and get it tuned on a dyno, but a 0-60 time of 4.8 sec (Bmw claims) and 4.6 (most road tests claim) is not that impressive or hard to beat, hell the new chrysler srt8 300c does a 4.5 0-60, hell even my old 2004 e55 was 4.2 0-60 stock, 12.2 1/4 mile, when i had it renntech modified it was 3.3 0-60 and 11.2 1/4 mile, so you are correct it is laughable that one would think a stock e92 m3 is fast at all....

Last edited by bmw5406spd; 03-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #131
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I can find tons of faster cars, you can mod less expensive cars that will destroy a stock M3. But to say that the current stock M3 is slow is utterly retarded. So besides the M devision, every car magazine from Top Gear, Evo, to Auto Motor und Sport got it wrong? Obviously I'm playing right into your troll post, but you made a solid effort and put some work into it so I felt obliged to entertain you with this response.
you're not playing into any troll post! i could really care less! I like what I own and obviously you like what you own, when i get the x1 35i dynoed and see what it puts out i will answer the claims that a modified x1 will not beat a stock m3, im thinking it would or at leasr run right with one, if you read most articles and reviews on the m3 most magazines were disappointed with it and most felt it fell short in most M class vehicles, even when comparing it to the e46 m3...a stock c63, e63 even the heavy s63 would beat it. of course any modified vehicle performs better then stock, but costs of modifying a M3 v8 car is very high and not very productive....either way good luck to...
      03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #132
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep

Quote:
For the record, I am rooting for the OP since I'm a fan of modding and tuning, so I'm def hoping he will win any run. And yes, a stock C63 will beat a stock M3, but that is not what the M3 is all about. It is probably the best car to drop off the kids at school and go to the track right afterwards. You will be hard pressed to find any car (in any price range) that will do that better.

What is really weird with these threads is that it is never started by an M3post member... I don't think any of us would ever start a thread within our sub-form saying that we could totally beat an X1. Or... I just totally destroyed an Opel Vectra on the Autobahn.

Again saying that a stock M3 is slow is like saying the moon isn't far away from earth.... compared to what? Mars?

correct i guess its just slow compared to what I'm used to driving, Just getting excited about a car that pulls the numbers the M3 does and someone having the audacity to challenge cars like theirs is some sort of speed rocket is ridiculous, IMHO and several articles the m3 fell short of keeping up with current vehicles it claims to be a part of, example supposedly the new Subaru Brz is a wonderful driving car and its price is very affordable and the magazines praise it on value and quality of the driving experience, the m3 was praised on neither..mercedes makes no claims on value but does claim performance which it delivers, the m3 claimed performance and it fell short and fell short in the value area, again in my opinion and several articles, even the Bimmer magazine states the e92 M3 fell short of customers expectations, citing that previous m products have the fun factor if not performance, like i said good luck to you, don't worry be happy!