XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #23
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Lol this comment reeks of elitism.
Disagree. It reeks of unsophisticated Midwestern ignorance.

The Tesla Model S is the single most registered make/model car in the US's top 25 wealthiest zip codes. The fact that he's talking down on it in the manner he is is a clear indication he's nowhere close to that level.

The Tesla's performance is a byproduct of its technology, not its intended purpose. Talking down on it because it "can't finish a lap of Nurburgring" just shows you're a child.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #24
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
It reeks of unsophisticated Midwestern ignorance
Is it possible for you to be a bigger A-hole? Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:28 AM   #25
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't see any tech, that did not exist before. This is not innovation, it is even worse than the iPhone in terms of innovation. At least what the iPhone brought was user friendliness.

Well, I'll be honest, what the Tesla brings is ONE straight line acceleration that shames supercars. But that is it, after the first turn, even a Golf GTI will leave the Tesla behind.

And for 100K, interior is of worse quality than Dodge Dart.

Last edited by BMW269; 03-21-2015 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #26
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Well, what I consistently see is folks saying how it's faster than just about anything else. Comparing acceleration to supercars, et al.

But suddenly videos come out showing it losing horribly in drag races and suddenly that's not what everyone cares about? Tesla has some sort of higher purpose in the elite financial bracket of the world?

It's also funny to me that folks would be willing to buy one so quickly without any consideration to the impacts of that much time and exposure to emf. It's a giant unknown. I'm not willing to take that risk, no matter how good it is. In 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, show me the research saying long term exposure is OK, and I'll consider it.

Nevermind, it's ludicrously expensive but that price does not translate to a luxurious interior. That's hilarious when you consider what Tesla fan-boys are saying now. "It's not supposed to be a performance car, it's a luxury cruiser!"

Sure, Musk has brought the tech further than it has ever been before, but did we need him to do that?

No. Folks talk about how far it can go, like its impressive. It's not, its still far inferior to what a cheap petrol powered car can do. EVs are NOT the future. Or the past. Just bad tech.

We need an alternative fuel source, not an expensive waste of time.
      03-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #27
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Nevermind, it's ludicrously expensive but that price does not translate to a luxurious interior. That's hilarious when you consider what Tesla fan-boys are saying now. "It's not supposed to be a performance car, it's a luxury cruise.
Definitely true. The fit and finish, as well as interior materials do not coincide with the price of the car. The whole center touch pad thing is also a cost saving feature since it greatly reduces all of the buttons and controls normally seen in cars. Call me old school but I greatly prefer actual buttons.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #28
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Disagree. It reeks of unsophisticated Midwestern ignorance.

The Tesla Model S is the single most registered make/model car in the US's top 25 wealthiest zip codes. The fact that he's talking down on it in the manner he is is a clear indication he's nowhere close to that level.

The Tesla's performance is a byproduct of its technology, not its intended purpose. Talking down on it because it "can't finish a lap of Nurburgring" just shows you're a child.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #29
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
Neither am I. In every drag race we have seen, the P85D always gets the jump, even against supercars. The RS7 launches quick, but no ICE can match the instantaneous torque of electric motors.
I don't keep up on the Telsa. Are there any other drag videos where it is running an awd car that can launch.

Last edited by hellrotm; 03-21-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #30
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What he meant to say is that the LFA is the most over rated car ever, his fingers just hit the wrong keys.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I don't keep up on the Telsa. Are there any other drag videos where it is running an awd car that can launch.
P85D stock vs. R8 v10 tuned, exhaust 570 HP

P85D stock vs. Aventador stock 691 HP

Two examples, but I'm sure there are more. There is no way an RS7 is launching faster than a P85D which has instant torque and rockets off.
      03-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #32
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
P85D stock vs. R8 v10 tuned, exhaust 570 HP

P85D stock vs. Aventador stock 691 HP

Two examples, but I'm sure there are more. There is no way an RS7 is launching faster than a P85D which has instant torque and rockets off.
It had a shitty start in this example. Acceleration wise, it's all launch then not much else. The P85D puts up 330' and 1/8-mile numbers similar to 10-second 1/4-mile cars. Finishing in the 11.70 range at 115 MPH shows where it's acceleration is, as towards the big end of the pass, it's accelerating at the pace of an average high 12-second car. Your average performance car that's not even considered "fast" by most who have standards will walk away at one from a roll as they struggle after 100 MPH.

But who cares? The fact that the performance of a 4600 lb. electric sedan is being discussed and has hurt the feelings of some above speaks volumes. My brother has a P85D and it's an amazing car all around. You won't find a car with a higher satisfaction rating from its owners, and its success is evident as it is the single most common car in some cities in Silicon Valley (not an exaggeration).

If an average Tesla owner wants to drive a fast car, they'll just pick something else from their garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
It had a shitty start in this example. Acceleration wise, it's all launch then not much else. The P85D puts up 330' and 1/8-mile numbers similar to 10-second 1/4-mile cars. Finishing in the 11.70 range at 115 MPH shows where it's acceleration is, as towards the big end of the pass, it's accelerating at the pace of an average high 12-second car. Your average performance car that's not even considered "fast" by most who have standards will walk away at one from a roll as they struggle after 100 MPH.

But who cares? The fact that the performance of a 4600 lb. electric sedan is being discussed and has hurt the feelings of some above speaks volumes. My brother has a P85D and it's an amazing car all around. You won't find a car with a higher satisfaction rating from its owners, and its success is evident as it is the single most common car in some cities in Silicon Valley (not an exaggeration).

If an average Tesla owner wants to drive a fast car, they'll just pick something else from their garage.
Agreed. I love what Tesla is doing, they have exploded in the recent years, but I hope they still keep going strong.

The P85D is a fast accelerating car, but does run out of steam, as you can see from these races.
      03-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Well, what I consistently see is folks saying how it's faster than just about anything else. Comparing acceleration to supercars, et al.

But suddenly videos come out showing it losing horribly in drag races and suddenly that's not what everyone cares about? Tesla has some sort of higher purpose in the elite financial bracket of the world?

It's also funny to me that folks would be willing to buy one so quickly without any consideration to the impacts of that much time and exposure to emf. It's a giant unknown. I'm not willing to take that risk, no matter how good it is. In 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, show me the research saying long term exposure is OK, and I'll consider it.

Nevermind, it's ludicrously expensive but that price does not translate to a luxurious interior. That's hilarious when you consider what Tesla fan-boys are saying now. "It's not supposed to be a performance car, it's a luxury cruiser!"

Sure, Musk has brought the tech further than it has ever been before, but did we need him to do that?

No. Folks talk about how far it can go, like its impressive. It's not, its still far inferior to what a cheap petrol powered car can do. EVs are NOT the future. Or the past. Just bad tech.

We need an alternative fuel source, not an expensive waste of time.
Just a few thoughts. Humans are around electro-magnetic fields of varying frequencies all day long as compared to our ancestors and we're living a lot longer, but the point is taken. I'd concern myself more with ozone generation from the electric motor, but still it is such small amounts...

But more on the point of "alternative fuel" source. I don't think we need an alternative fuel, I just think we need a more efficient way to use petroleum-based fuels. Considering that most electricity (in the US anyway) is generated by fossil fuels, an electric car just uses petroleum fuel far more efficiently. The problem is metal-hydride battery and battery technology in general has limitations on energy storage and thus is a limited technology as far as developing a vehicle that will have anywhere near the range and refueling convenience of the internal combustion engine. The 800-pound Tesla battery stores the equivalent of a little over 3 gallons of gasoline, which shows how efficient (post-battery) electric drivetrains are.

Petroleum fuels have such a high energy density ratio that ignoring them as a fuel source is just short-sighted. What technology that needs to be chased is not a better battery, but a more efficient way to capture and use the energy stored in petroleum fuels. What is forgotten is that a higher level if energy capture from fossil fuel means less emissions, thus solving whatever globalwarming-climatechange concerns people may (falsely) have with using it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #35
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Just a few thoughts.
Generally agreed all around. However, an alternative fuel source IS going to be required someday, so there really needs to be a bigger focus on it than there is currently. We rely too heavily on petroleum for just about everything. When it's gone, we will be totally screwed. Look around your house, anything not made with entirely natural products (and even some of those were processed using byproducts of petroleum cracking), are petroleum origin products. And that is just one example of how and what we do with it.

Another note: People are quite hung up on petroleum powered cars being THE problem with pollution and contributing to climate change. They are not.

Passenger jet airliners are by far the worst. Followed by petroleum powered trains. Yet I see no focus on those.

Pollution contribution of petrol cars pales in comparison.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 03-22-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Generally agreed all around. However, an alternative fuel source IS going to be required someday, so there really needs to be a bigger focus on it than there is currently. We rely too heavily on petroleum for just about everything. When it's gone, we will be totally screwed. Look around your house, anything not made with entirely natural products (and even some of those were processed using byproducts of petroleum cracking), are petroleum origin products. And that is just one example of how and what we do with it.

Another note: People are quite hung up on petroleum powered cars being THE problem with pollution and contributing to climate change. They are not.

Passenger jet airliners are by far the worst. Followed by petroleum powered trains. Yet I see no focus on those.

Pollution contribution of petrol cars pales in comparison.
Some geologists believe that the Earth's crust has unknown processes that generate petroleum faster than the "fossil" process currently thought to generate it. Regarding airplanes, I think that is a saving grace, since we are far off from any alternative propulsion method that has the same energy density of the current system, which means high-density petroleum-like fuels will be here to stay for a long while. And there has been a lot of work done in the area fuel efficiency for commercial jets. And trains have been fuel efficient for decades.

And everyone knows cows are really the problem anyway; them and my two dogs...

And my house, well, it's over 260 years old I some places and 160 years old in others, so a shit-load of natural products... And decorated with a bunch of antiques, my Wife LOVES antiques. Most of them came from the "Shit-left-out-in-the-Rain" antique shop.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #37
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Some geologists believe that the Earth's crust has unknown processes that generate petroleum faster than the "fossil" process currently thought to generate it.
True, I haven't seen much more than speculation that though. Has anything conclusive been offered up to be peer reviewed yet?

Quote:
And my house, well, it's over 260 years old I some places and 160 years old in others, so a shit-load of natural products... And decorated with a bunch of antiques, my Wife LOVES antiques. Most of them came from the "Shit-left-out-in-the-Rain" antique shop.
OK. I'm jealous.
      07-08-2015, 03:56 AM   #38
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but having seen MANY p85D VS Etc videos on youtube, it seems rather disingenuous of these Tesla owners when staging these contests to have the conditions in THEIR favor.
some of the vs Aventador and 458 videos are from a stand still, and worst no LC and or traction control disabled.
Then they walk around touting that the Tesla is a "super car beater! "
I would like to honestly see a proper video staged of a P85D vs say a cheapo M3 DCT from 60-130 mph
and then the same contest staged with that F12 Ferrari and see how BADLY that RC car will lose.
Sure Teslas are great on the street and quick to squirt in and out of traffic, especially stop light to stop light, but try passing up ANYTHING thats 400+ HP sporty car on the freeways from 60+ mph nowadays....good luck with that.....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #39
CARMASTERRACE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 F06 2015 - VW CC V6 2014

The Tesla is an awesome piece of equipment, but it wasn't designed to be fast. The truth is that it is only fast because of the raw power and instant torque of the electric engines, even so it is not the intention of the car. Tesla takes 11s to do 100-200km/h, from there you already notice, it is in a completely different performance league to a M5, RS7, M6 GC, CLS63, E63, which are at least 2s faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #40
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but having seen MANY p85D VS Etc videos on youtube, it seems rather disingenuous of these Tesla owners when staging these contests to have the conditions in THEIR favor.
some of the vs Aventador and 458 videos are from a stand still, and worst no LC and or traction control disabled.
I would like to honestly see a proper video staged of a P85D vs say a cheapo M3 DCT from 60-130 mph
and then the same contest staged with that F12 Ferrari and see how BADLY that RC car will lose.
Sure Teslas are great on the street and quick to squirt in and out of traffic, especially stop light to stop light, but try passing up ANYTHING thats 400+ HP sporty car on the freeways from 60+ mph nowadays....good luck with that.....
It's like the opposite of Supras needing to race from a roll.

Hey I can make fun, I owned one!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #41
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Why are you giving even a fraction of a second of thought to drag race videos in the internet?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #42
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

Tesla sucks, they get close to 0 mpgs....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #43
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Why are you giving even a fraction of a second of thought to drag race videos in the internet?
Why are YOU giving even a fraction of a thought to someone's post on an online discussion forum?

The point of a discussion forum is to bring up topics to debate, discuss and opinions to be shared.
I would not be on here if I didnt givea fraction of a thought about something related to BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #44
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

It's funny how so many people are only concerned about straight line speed, then an electric car comes along that can shine in some of those comparisons and all of a sudden people get b***-hurt. It's amazingly technology. No one is saying its a better car because it wins one performance parameter, but it works and practical. This is the future. But already works and will get better from here on out.
Appreciate 0