Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
My wife has a Q5 2.0T, and I considered both the Q5 3.0T and allroad. No question the Q5 has a more refined ride and offers greater utility. Although both are classified as crossovers, they are very different vehicles serving different needs.
Awesome - would love to hear your perspective - how so? What are your feelings when driving each?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #46
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Sounds terrible. Definitely makes me rethink the M package. I love the look but honestly, I really enjoy a nice comfortable smooth ride, and for a non-performance car 45k+, I don't expect it to ride rough.
The M Sport package is truly not meant for comfort driving, but hard driving. In a way it's like buying skis or bikes - if you buy the sport models, you shouldn't expect a smooth ride.

As for non-performance, well, the X1 may not be M class, but it certainly can hold its own, with a higher power-to-weight ratio than most road cars its size, and 80% rear wheel drive making it more of a performance car than competitors like the Audi Q3 and Range Rover Evoque. 0-60 in 5.3 s isn't exactly sluggish either - on an automatic, no less. That's over a second quicker than a Mercedes GLK 350.
It's quite likely that the X1 will get you quicker around the track than any other crossover, except perhaps the Skoda.

But most comfortably? No. BMW does have comfortable models too, but they aren't called Sports Activity Vehicles with M Sport tuning and suspension.

tl;dr: Sport, Comfort - pick one.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #47
JetLee
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Cabrio, '87 CTTC

GLK350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
...0-60 in 5.3 s isn't exactly sluggish either - on an automatic, no less. That's over a second quicker than a Mercedes GLK 350...
I've seen recent road tests on the 2013 GLK350 with 0-60 times of 5.8 secs for 4Matic and 5.7 secs for RWD, so maybe not such a big difference. I think I'd be driving the X1 more aggressively since it's a much more sporty vehicle.

The GLK is more of a luxury ride compared to the X1 and X3 but it still has what I consider to be a German suspension feel. I find the GLK and X3 to have much more refined suspensions than the X1.

Lee
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #48
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Can speak from experience here, we really liked the GLK. I have a great relationship with our MB dealer and truthfully would MUCH prefer to buy from them than anyone.

The GLK is the most comfortable of all cars we drove. Very smooth. It picks up well, but to me being an NA V6, even with 300hp, the drivability just isn't there. Feels much more normal and boring. X1 35i is much faster, I would put this car about on par with the Q5 3.0T in terms of acceleration. But again, to me these aren't performance vehicles, they are crossover suv's with a bit of flavor. The updates to the 2013 GLK are very nice, the AMG exterior package sets it off terrifically, in fact looks wise it was my wife's favorite. The interior just is blah compared to the Audi, and driving experience well short of the X1.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #49
TKM399
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 GL450, 2013 X1 X28i

Quote:
Can speak from experience here, we really liked the GLK. I have a great relationship with our MB dealer and truthfully would MUCH prefer to buy from them than anyone.

The GLK is the most comfortable of all cars we drove. Very smooth. It picks up well, but to me being an NA V6, even with 300hp, the drivability just isn't there. Feels much more normal and boring. X1 35i is much faster, I would put this car about on par with the Q5 3.0T in terms of acceleration. But again, to me these aren't performance vehicles, they are crossover suv's with a bit of flavor. The updates to the 2013 GLK are very nice, the AMG exterior package sets it off terrifically, in fact looks wise it was my wife's favorite. The interior just is blah compared to the Audi, and driving experience well short of the X1.
Have you considered the GLK250 Bluetec? I believe they are on the boat now, making their way over here. You won't get equivalent performance, but should see crazy fuel economy with a little bit more off road prowess.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #50
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Not considering the bluetec...at this point I think we have decided on the X1 or X3. The Q5 is great but wifey prefers the fun factor, especially in the x1.

She wants the xline, terra, matte wood, 28i. Of course, I prefer the 35i, m sport, etc. If the 35i had that great 8speed as well, I'd probably force the issue, but she prefers mpg over thrust and the 28i is pretty stout in it's own right. I just have an issue with the pricing knowing that for a couple grand more we can get way more power and a better exterior. Happy though with any model, they are all fun.

Also, Now that I've driven the q5 more, I'll qualify my statement above - no doubt about it, the x1 35i is noticeably faster.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #51
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

The 6-speed isn't bad - the N55 has enough torque range that you don't really need more gears than a F1 car.

That said, if the wife wants a 28i, get one! Quickly, before she changes her mind! Take it from an old man, you don't want to override your wife's choice in cars, no matter how well intended or right you are. The happiness of letting her have what she wants is priceless. Then praise her for her choice. Her smile is worth a lot more than a silly car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #52
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

The 6 speed really loses out on the hwy, you can drive the X1 28 at 75 and it runs at 2100 rpms. I took a 125 mile run at 85 and still got close to 30 mpg.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #53
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The 6-speed isn't bad - the N55 has enough torque range that you don't really need more gears than a F1 car.

That said, if the wife wants a 28i, get one! Quickly, before she changes her mind! Take it from an old man, you don't want to override your wife's choice in cars, no matter how well intended or right you are. The happiness of letting her have what she wants is priceless. Then praise her for her choice. Her smile is worth a lot more than a silly car.
Great advice, very well put, my eyes and ears are open! I never turn down wisdom from those who have been in my shoes. I think you are 100% right, I may not LOVE it, but the whole idea is that its exactly what she wants. You're so right. We are heading to the dealer tomorrow to rule out the X3, then its time to take it from there
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #54
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Well, interestingly enough she liked the X3 more than she thought she would. Which has me now debating the $46k X1 spec'd the way she originally wanted it (28i, xline, etc) or the X3 spec'd the way we both want it (35i, m package ) for $55k. Heck of a lot more car for $9k.

Aaaaaand the deliberation begins again!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #55
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I'd go 35i in the X3!
      12-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #56
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Problem is X3 LCI comes out in 9 months max. Kind of sucks to buy a car and have it be immediately outdated. Finding an 11/12 with what we want will be tough. So either bite the bullet and take the hit or wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #57
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Well, interestingly enough she liked the X3 more than she thought she would. Which has me now debating the $46k X1 spec'd the way she originally wanted it (28i, xline, etc) or the X3 spec'd the way we both want it (35i, m package ) for $55k. Heck of a lot more car for $9k.

Aaaaaand the deliberation begins again!
If you are considering a vehicle that size test out a Volvo XC60 R Design. Yup I did say Volvo, I recently drove one and was impressed with the power delivery and fit and finish. A relative bargain too as compared to a similarly equipped similar hp 35i X3. The seats are really excellent too, nice two tone leather and seriously comfortable (the headrests are great, ill hazard better seats then most BMWs) Between the seats, interior and good grunt I kept going back to considering it but that class SUV really is a lot bigger and bulkier then the more lithe X1, and I'm not quite ready to give up the nimble fun factor. Can wait a few years until the rug rat is bigger and forces my hand
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #58
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
If you are considering a vehicle that size test out a Volvo XC60 R Design. Yup I did say Volvo, I recently drove one and was impressed with the power delivery and fit and finish. A relative bargain too as compared to a similarly equipped similar hp 35i X3. The seats are really excellent too, nice two tone leather and seriously comfortable (the headrests are great, ill hazard better seats then most BMWs) Between the seats, interior and good grunt I kept going back to considering it but that class SUV really is a lot bigger and bulkier then the more lithe X1, and I'm not quite ready to give up the nimble fun factor. Can wait a few years until the rug rat is bigger and forces my hand
Youre totally right. We drove the XC60-R and I really liked it (she thought it was just OK). Local dealer was a total jerk about pricing though - they had a demo available with 7000 miles. After making it clear to please not waste time with BS negotiations, Im an experienced buyer, etc their first offer was literally like $2k off. For a used car with 7k miles. I was so turned off by their approach, after a bit more discussion decided to turn away from Volvo. I really liked the car, LOVE the exterior, but frankly the X3 is faster, more fun, and nicer inside. Volvo still uses graphics from a 1988 Suburban in their gauge cluster. Atari pixel city. I would hate to look at that all the time.

You're right though, it's a great car nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #59
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Youre totally right. We drove the XC60-R and I really liked it (she thought it was just OK). Local dealer was a total jerk about pricing though - they had a demo available with 7000 miles. After making it clear to please not waste time with BS negotiations, Im an experienced buyer, etc their first offer was literally like $2k off. For a used car with 7k miles. I was so turned off by their approach, after a bit more discussion decided to turn away from Volvo. I really liked the car, LOVE the exterior, but frankly the X3 is faster, more fun, and nicer inside. Volvo still uses graphics from a 1988 Suburban in their gauge cluster. Atari pixel city. I would hate to look at that all the time.

You're right though, it's a great car nonetheless.
Too bad you have a crap local dealer, that is what I encounter locally with BMW but really had no prob discussing going from invoice with the Volvo guy and it was much less then a compatible X3. The car I drove was a brand new 2013, don't know if there were changes from prior MY, I was more focused on drive ability, braking, comfort,etc then read out so can't remark on that. The real metal accents, soft thick leather feel and seats did make an impression. The rear seats folding completely flat with ease (auto head rests or something) was nice, built in booster seats or heated rear seats, and best safety will prob keep it on my list when the time comes around . With hope they will keep the Polestar improvements and add paddle shifters.

I wish we got great station wagons here though, SUVs higher center of gravity and bulk really impact the overall fun factor and accident avoidance nimbleness IMHO. It was a comfy safe feeling environment to be in though, and comes in a great red
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #60
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Volvo still makes the R models? I thought they had stopped making both the R and T ones?
Yeah, they're good cars. But perhaps a bit more boring to drive than BMW, and somewhat overpriced here in the US. I want to try the hybrid when it comes out, though!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #61
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Volvo still makes the R models? I thought they had stopped making both the R and T ones?
Yeah, they're good cars. But perhaps a bit more boring to drive than BMW, and somewhat overpriced here in the US. I want to try the hybrid when it comes out, though!
They do, more hp, torque, stiffer suspension and some change to steering it seems as well as various things like black headliner. 0-60 in 5.6 I've seen listed. I didn't know a hybrid was coming out , but I'll admit I never look into those as I do not like CVTs and they always seem to utilize them
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #62
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
The XC60 R-Design is neither boring nor overpriced. The turbo I-6 may not have quite as much punch as BMW's straight six, but it is at least as smooth and certainly doesn't lack for power. The driver interface is a bit outdated, but the amazing seats go a long way toward making up for it. I like the X3, but given the choice between the two I'd take the XC60 in a heartbeat ... at least until the turbo fours supplant the current six cylinder family, that is.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #63
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

BTW - hit a pothole in the x-line x1 last night and heard a big "ka-CLUNK!" I immediately thought of your comments on the m-sport suspension, I get it.

As for the XC60R - I drove that car pretty extensively and don't think it's really in the mid 5's. The X3 is quicker. Not by a ton, but you can feel the difference. Also nowhere near as planted as the X3, and nothing like the X1. The XC60R is a great car...if my wife liked it more I'd probably bite. I think the X3's interior looks better, personally, the dash materials are cheap in the R. That whole "T" design on the dash is just plasticky and cheap looking and the nav screen looks small because of it. However, the citysafe mode is cool and the little thoughtful pieces like the trunk setup for groceries and the incorporated kids seats, etc are really really cool. And in terms of price, you can score one for high 40's no problem. I think it's also the best looking SUV out there.

However, I'd take an X3 35i M given the choice between the 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #64
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
Buy your wife the car she wants. Happy wife, happy life!
Very true guys. So let me ask. Are there rft's on it? My z came with them and they were horrible. Don't want to do that again. If u can't tell I have not bought one yet just scoping things out since I need a replacement for my dd '04 z4.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #65
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Yes, in the US, at least, all the tire/wheel combinations that BMW can deliver the X1 with (and there are a few!) are runflats, unfortunately.
Personally, I prefer harder shock absorbers + softer tires, but these days it seems more in to have softer shock absorbers + harder tires.
Runflats fit the latter much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #66
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

To be fair though, RFT's have improved greatly since your 04 Z4, when they were nothing but horrible. Our 08 135i had improved, but still awful RFT's that quickly came off for non RFT Michelins, but so far, we're actually pretty happy with the RFT's on the X1. I doubt we'll keep this car longer than the tires, but it's the first BMW with RFT's I've owned that I'd actually consider putting them back on once the initial set burns off.
Appreciate 0