XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
kychungkevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive28i

I have a low options sport line xdrive 28i which I really love and I think it is the better price point for the X1 (the $1900 sport line is too much $$ too IMO but I want the sport seat with all season tires...). Once you add it up to $40K+ it become a different market where you have more choices.

A loaded 28i is too close in price to 35i which is a tough choice. Yes a 28i does 33mpg on paper but unless you cruise on the flat hwy all day long it will never hit that. It may not be too far in mpg from 35i if you like to drive fast all day. On the other hand I drove both 28 and 35 I found that if you manual shift both and pedal down they both feel just as fast. The problem with 8 speeds is if you leave it at D it try to up shift as soon as possible to save gas ; and that feel gutless. Of course the engine of 35 sounds so much better than 28 but the 8 speeds shifter look so much more modern. 28 is lighter car mean it is better in handling, but 35 have a better brakes! I believe 28 will have a better resale value if the gas price keep going up (rather it make 33mpg or not in real world it is 33mpg on paper after all) but I also believe the 'old tech' 35 would be more reliable... like I said, tough choices!!!!

To me X1 is not about all the tech and features (you can get a Ford Escape with all the toys you can think of for $35k), it's about getting that BMW driving experience while it's still practice and at a lower cost than other BMW lineup. And when I say the driving experience I mean the old school BMW way not the new water down disconnected way.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I pretty much let my wife pick all of the options she wants in her X1 xDrive 28, my only request was to specify the M Sport package. My wife test drove the car first, then I test drove it, in sport mode (in the city). Since I won't be the primary driver, I'm sure it's ok if /when I drive it, as long as I put it in sport mode. I kept reminding myself that it has only half the engine as my e92 M3, so let the wife gets what she wants... We have also test drove another car (my pick), Porsche Cayenne GTS, but she complained that it was too big for her... Remember, it's not my car, that's all you have to remember!!! Make her happy now, and she will never tell you what to drive when it's your turn to get your car!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I can certainly understand your reservation. I'm not quite ready to admit I regret my purchase, but I'm no where near as satisfied as I expected to be. That said, if it's your wife's car, and it's what she wants, I don't see the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #26
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Power is more than lacking, it doesn't exist. The CX-5 could be killer if it had 80 more ponies. The size is great, it looks fantastic, it drives well, but 0-60 is 9.7s (http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2013/road-test2.html)

Mazda already annouced that they will put the 2.2 tdi engine in a few of their newer vehicles and I think CX-5 will be one of them. The engine is said to possess 310 lb/ft torque while getting superb mpg. I test drove the regular CX-5 and was amazed at the superb steering feel and handling. The interior looked cheap and the headrest was tilted too much forward though.

I canceled my X1 order after much consideration. I think the car is mainly too small for my use while the X3 does not have 2WD...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Syle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 -Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
I have comfort on mine but never tried to do the leg thing. I guess ill have to go try it and if it does not work ill look like a fool ... LOL

LMAO!!! hahaha .. the icon just pushed me over to insane burst of laughter... OMG
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #28
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08E92M3 View Post
Remember, it's not my car, that's all you have to remember!!! Make her happy now, and she will never tell you what to drive when it's your turn to get your car!!!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #29
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Personally think that N20+8 speed is a pretty darn good combo. Unlike the N55 you actually have to rev that 2 litter to get most of the power (though it does have very good torque very low in the revs as well). It may not feel like its accelerating fast but it's deceptive, I bet you you'll be looking down at the speedo after a few seconds and be surprised at how fast you are doing. I know the first time my wife got in the driver seat and pressed the pedal to get on the freeway I almost spilled that coffee all over my lap from the acceleration that surprised me from the passenger seat.

I actually do like the dual personality of the 28: feather the gas and it drives almost like a diesel and never goes above 2000 rpm, mash the pedal and it feels like a very linear fast four cylinders... And you can't really feel any turbo lag either.

But if you like the instant torque of a 6, you will need to adapt a bit to the 8 speed kicking down the speed very easily and having to work the engine in the revs a bit ... But in the end you will probably be just as fast.

Sound-wise however it's not contest win for the 6, but then again the 4 has the upper hand in gas mileage...

Either way its not bad with ever way you decide to go
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
I can certainly understand your reservation. I'm not quite ready to admit I regret my purchase, but I'm no where near as satisfied as I expected to be. That said, if it's your wife's car, and it's what she wants, I don't see the issue.
Why are you let down?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #31
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

I agree it could have a standard power tailgate and a handle for the trunk and some of the standard options to make the x1 28i more luxurious.

But no offense man, you sound a little greedy, you can't have everything you want, it's a bmw, it's expensive, you are paying for the driving dynamics, of course it's a little bit worse in performance than the 35i, and inside is not luxurious as other competitors. My point is, nothing is perfect, you can't have everything you want on a car unless you are willing to pay more money. Pick out the things that matter to you or your wife the most, then choose whichever car you want
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1963 View Post
I agree it could have a standard power tailgate and a handle for the trunk and some of the standard options to make the x1 28i more luxurious.

But no offense man, you sound a little greedy, you can't have everything you want, it's a bmw, it's expensive, you are paying for the driving dynamics, of course it's a little bit worse in performance than the 35i, and inside is not luxurious as other competitors. My point is, nothing is perfect, you can't have everything you want on a car unless you are willing to pay more money. Pick out the things that matter to you or your wife the most, then choose whichever car you want
just pull the trigger already!
      11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #33
Jossen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 to come...

She loves it, well why don't you just let her get one?
Does she feel, she'll miss the gimmicks?
Has she actually got a say in it?
She'll love you for letting her choose and dweep with you're goodness amongst her friends and family!

But then again I am not Beamer-geek...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

I agree with Jossen here. As long as neither of you break your budget, she should be able to buy the car she wants, even when you think there are better choices. Especially if you think there are better choices.

To paraphrase from an old European ad:
Love is ... to smile when your wife buys a 2CV.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #35
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Buy your wife the car she wants. Happy wife, happy life!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Why are you let down?
Several minor issues, and a few that aren't so minor. I was one of the unfortunate M Sport owners to get stiffed on the paddle shifters. The dealer was less than helpful, and BMW doesn't seem too concerned that my first BMW may be my last. The fuel economy has been very disappointing, too, although switching to the LRR Pilot PA3's for winter has resulted in an improvement. And the ride quality of the M Sport can be borderline abusive at times. On smooth asphalt, the car is an absolute joy and begs to be driven hard. But on an aged concrete highway, it just begs for an exit. I've described the ride as Jekyll and Hyde-like in another post, and I'm standing by that assessment. As my son commented: "I've never before seen a car have a seizure!" Minus-sizing the rubber and passing on runflats for winter has helped, but not as much as I expected. I haven't driven any other trim levels, but I suspect the ride of the M Sport is notably worse than the base suspension.

The minor issues: speedometer reads 5 mph high; garage door opener doesn't work properly, if at all; my car is missing the ambiance lighting feature that it's suppose to have; disappointing GPS performance/accuracy; the TPMS won't reset and is currently not functioning; the stereo defaults to AM frequency if I eject a CD before switching to radio first; and the car doesn't have a sunglasses holder. I have a service appointment to have some of the issues addressed, but most of them I just have to live with.

I'm trying not to be too negative because there are some things about the car that I really like, but it's hard not to be disappointed considering the experience thus far. I mean, I have a portable GPS on my windshield, a garage door opener clipped to one visor, and a cheapo sunglasses holder clipped to the other.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #37
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I have M Sport as well and you obviously have not experienced a harsh BMW ride before. I owned 3 M3's and a 2007 X3 with M Sport previously and My X1 feels like riding on butter compared to them. I would not rate the ride as harsh at all so it's all relative to your expectations.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #38
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I have M Sport as well and you obviously have not experienced a harsh BMW ride before. I owned 3 M3's and a 2007 X3 with M Sport previously and My X1 feels like riding on butter compared to them. I would not rate the ride as harsh at all so it's all relative to your expectations.
Like I said, it depends on the road. It's no secret that we Michiganders have some highway issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Like I said, it depends on the road. It's no secret that we Michiganders have some highway issues.
Ah. Does the MI-Sport model come with cone deflectors?
If you got the orange model, I'm sure it'd blend right in!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #40
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Ah. Does the MI-Sport model come with cone deflectors?
If you got the orange model, I'm sure it'd blend right in!
LOL Yes, we have it pretty bad. Our potholes have been known to swallow entire Mini Coopers. Manufacturers could and probably should offer a dedicated Michigan suspension package. 6" lift kit, 35" tires and Fox off-road shocks.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #41
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Keep bitching to BMW NA about the paddle shifters, they should give you something (they have promised me something) because they messed up on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #42
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossen View Post
Comfort Acces on X1 not an option? I heard that you can open it by swaying your leg when your behind the trunk.
no comfort access doesnt include that.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #43
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Several minor issues, and a few that aren't so minor. I was one of the unfortunate M Sport owners to get stiffed on the paddle shifters. The dealer was less than helpful, and BMW doesn't seem too concerned that my first BMW may be my last. The fuel economy has been very disappointing, too, although switching to the LRR Pilot PA3's for winter has resulted in an improvement. And the ride quality of the M Sport can be borderline abusive at times. On smooth asphalt, the car is an absolute joy and begs to be driven hard. But on an aged concrete highway, it just begs for an exit. I've described the ride as Jekyll and Hyde-like in another post, and I'm standing by that assessment. As my son commented: "I've never before seen a car have a seizure!" Minus-sizing the rubber and passing on runflats for winter has helped, but not as much as I expected. I haven't driven any other trim levels, but I suspect the ride of the M Sport is notably worse than the base suspension.

The minor issues: speedometer reads 5 mph high; garage door opener doesn't work properly, if at all; my car is missing the ambiance lighting feature that it's suppose to have; disappointing GPS performance/accuracy; the TPMS won't reset and is currently not functioning; the stereo defaults to AM frequency if I eject a CD before switching to radio first; and the car doesn't have a sunglasses holder. I have a service appointment to have some of the issues addressed, but most of them I just have to live with.

I'm trying not to be too negative because there are some things about the car that I really like, but it's hard not to be disappointed considering the experience thus far. I mean, I have a portable GPS on my windshield, a garage door opener clipped to one visor, and a cheapo sunglasses holder clipped to the other.
Sounds terrible. Definitely makes me rethink the M package. I love the look but honestly, I really enjoy a nice comfortable smooth ride, and for a non-performance car 45k+, I don't expect it to ride rough.

So we've narrowed it down to the X1 and the Q5 3.0T. I prefer the Q5 a bit because it's more comfortable, has more features frankly I expect on a car in this class (power liftgate, elec parking brake, rear vents, etc), and is the best balance between performance & comfort. It's also much roomier and to me has a much better interior. She likes the X1 a bit better because it feels less like an SUV...it's more zippy, feels much lighter and nimble. Tough call....going to come down to the best deal and some more research/advice from others!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Sounds terrible. Definitely makes me rethink the M package. I love the look but honestly, I really enjoy a nice comfortable smooth ride, and for a non-performance car 45k+, I don't expect it to ride rough.

So we've narrowed it down to the X1 and the Q5 3.0T. I prefer the Q5 a bit because it's more comfortable, has more features frankly I expect on a car in this class (power liftgate, elec parking brake, rear vents, etc), and is the best balance between performance & comfort. It's also much roomier and to me has a much better interior. She likes the X1 a bit better because it feels less like an SUV...it's more zippy, feels much lighter and nimble. Tough call....going to come down to the best deal and some more research/advice from others!
My wife has a Q5 2.0T, and I considered both the Q5 3.0T and allroad. No question the Q5 has a more refined ride and offers greater utility. Although both are classified as crossovers, they are very different vehicles serving different needs.
Attached Images

Last edited by HotRodW; 11-24-2012 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0