01-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #23
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Just read reviews before you buy.

While that poster said they have more bite than his OEM pads, that is 100% the opposite experience the vast majority of buyers have had (self included).

The benefits of the Ake. ceramics (and really any ceramic) are VERY low dust, easiness on the rotors and quiet operation.

Those things don't come for free...you give up the hard initial bite of the OEM pads which is a enjoyed "BMW" characteristic for many people (some people really like that feeling of instantly strong brakes) and heat capacity.

You'll certainly have to re-calibrate your braking pressure after switching them out. I found myself running up on peoples bumpers around town initially.

Personally, while I'll see them through and recommend them to family members...I generally dislike the lack of bite vs. a semi-metallic.
I did notice when I used Ceremic pads on the Genesis Coupe a couple years back, the initial bite was a bit less than the stock pads. But I liked that, because the brembo's on the Hyundai were pretty harsh. It was 75% braking or nothing, so that was a welcome relief to get them to have a little more "wiggle room" and be able to gently apply the brakes.

The low dust is a bonus, and spending 1/2 or less to go to Akebono or Equivalent instead of OEM seems worth it too!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #24
Tavo4464
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

hi guys,
i'm a newbie to this forum and had a question.

i have 2012 E84 - i had a weir situation with front breaks i would like to share and get some input.

bought the car Oct 2015 ( 3 yrs old with extended Warranty until Oct 2018) from BMW dealer.

When i got the car, the dealer told me that the front breaks where brand new, and i later on found out that they replace the pads in the back. Car had 63K KM.

here's the issue:

At the end of April 2016 - by steering wheel shake when applying the brakes exiting a hwy ramp.. so basically 100-120KM/H down to 80-90KM/H. when i let go of the breaks, the shaking stop. the dealer diagnose warp disks. covered because they installed them when i got the car in Oct 2015.

At the end of April 2017 - exactly a year later, the disk got warped again.
Dealer blamed the bashed they had and replaced them at no cost.

my concern is that i'm technically on my 3rd set of front breaks (pads and calipers).
i do about 10-15K KM a year, daily driving mixed of city and hwy (60-40).
what happens if this occurs again? BMW one of their master mechanics claims that i'm not perhaps driving the breaks hard enough and they do require to put some heat on them at least once every two weeks, if we drive delicate, BMW OEM breaks dont like that... another theory thrown by the head of service is that if it happens again in April 2018, that he wants to measure the wheel hub to see if perhaps at a point the wheel ceased and some mechanic bang it out, therefore disrupting the hub.

all this as they are telling me that, if it happens again i would need to pay!!!

has anyone experienced an issue with their X1 like this?
thx
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #25
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Not on my X1 currently @68k km... On original pads. These oem pads are for street duties often prided for their great bites. I can understand if you're using some carbon-ferro compounds for racing where heat cycle is required to achieve optimal performance.
Something is not right with your brake system. I'm wondering if instead of changing individual components it be best to replace the entire system all at once...pads, rotors, calipers.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #26
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavo4464 View Post
hi guys,
i'm a newbie to this forum and had a question.

i have 2012 E84 - i had a weir situation with front breaks i would like to share and get some input.

bought the car Oct 2015 ( 3 yrs old with extended Warranty until Oct 2018) from BMW dealer.

When i got the car, the dealer told me that the front breaks where brand new, and i later on found out that they replace the pads in the back. Car had 63K KM.

here's the issue:

At the end of April 2016 - by steering wheel shake when applying the brakes exiting a hwy ramp.. so basically 100-120KM/H down to 80-90KM/H. when i let go of the breaks, the shaking stop. the dealer diagnose warp disks. covered because they installed them when i got the car in Oct 2015.

At the end of April 2017 - exactly a year later, the disk got warped again.
Dealer blamed the bashed they had and replaced them at no cost.

my concern is that i'm technically on my 3rd set of front breaks (pads and calipers).
i do about 10-15K KM a year, daily driving mixed of city and hwy (60-40).
what happens if this occurs again? BMW one of their master mechanics claims that i'm not perhaps driving the breaks hard enough and they do require to put some heat on them at least once every two weeks, if we drive delicate, BMW OEM breaks dont like that... another theory thrown by the head of service is that if it happens again in April 2018, that he wants to measure the wheel hub to see if perhaps at a point the wheel ceased and some mechanic bang it out, therefore disrupting the hub.

all this as they are telling me that, if it happens again i would need to pay!!!

has anyone experienced an issue with their X1 like this?
thx
In 99% of cases, there is no "warped" rotor (that's EXTREMELY RARE). What you are feeling is uneven pad deposits on the rotors (most commonly felt when braking at high speeds, as you described).

They can be caused by a number of things, including pads (some pads tend to deposit more than others) and coming to a full stop on very hot pads and rotors.

The comment about not using your brakes hard enough come s from the fact that one way to remove deposits (or keep them at bay), is to get some heat in your brakes with hard stopping, which tends to remove (or smear) the deposits, taking the high spots out of the rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

C/N: Your rotors aren't warped.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
Tavo4464
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
In 99% of cases, there is no "warped" rotor (that's EXTREMELY RARE). What you are feeling is uneven pad deposits on the rotors (most commonly felt when braking at high speeds, as you described).

They can be caused by a number of things, including pads (some pads tend to deposit more than others) and coming to a full stop on very hot pads and rotors.

The comment about not using your brakes hard enough come s from the fact that one way to remove deposits (or keep them at bay), is to get some heat in your brakes with hard stopping, which tends to remove (or smear) the deposits, taking the high spots out of the rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

C/N: Your rotors aren't warped.

thank you for your comments and link, i'll look into it.
yes that's exactly my conversation with the dealer, basically the brake bedding routine once a month can help is what they recommended.

so far i've been doing this so we'll see in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #28
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavo4464 View Post
thank you for your comments and link, i'll look into it.
yes that's exactly my conversation with the dealer, basically the brake bedding routine once a month can help is what they recommended.

so far i've been doing this so we'll see in the spring.
Exactly, re-bedding (i.e. heat the hell out of) the pads once in a while will help, but doesn't address the root-cause...which is a combination of driving style and a particular pad compound. People drive how they drive...so it's time for different pads.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1