BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport Coupe

"UK" BMW Car Insurance + BMW M Performance Accessories

UK BMW Car Insurance will no longer insure my vehicle in the future because I have told them that I have fitted the following genuine BMW M Performance Accessories to my 135i.

BMW Performance grilles
BMW Performance wheels style 269 as opposed to standard style 261
AC Schnitzer Backbox exhaust
BMW Performance Carbon fibre Boot lid spoiler
BMW Performance Carbon fibre Rear diffuser
BMW Performance Carbon fibre Wing mirror caps
Blackline rear lights

I have owned my 135i since 2009 and for the majority of that time I have taken out insurance with BMW Car Insurance, the only time I went to another insurer was when the BMW Car Insurance doubled from £500 to a £1000.

The selling point for me is as follows.

“Benefits of BMW Car Insurance

We guarantee to offer you the option of using a BMW Approved Bodyshop for accident repairs using BMW Trained Technicians and Genuine BMW Parts”

Although it is called BMW insurance it is sold, underwritten and administered by Allianz Insurance plc.

I have spoken to BMW UK today and they have told me that if I have a problem with BMW Car Insurance then I need to contact Allianz Insurance plc as it is not BMW UK’s responsibility.

I have asked BMW Car Insurance to ask the underwriters to give me a fully detailed explanation of why or which part of the listed items, they feel they can not give me a quote for but instead all the came back with was the following.

The Allianz Insurance underwriters have said that they will not be able to overturn there acceptance criteria of the new providers and that I will have to purchase insurance from someone else from the renewal date.

BMW Car Insurance has told me that my only option now is to complain to the Customer Satisfaction Manager at Allianz Insurance plc.

I have always informed BMW Car Insurance of the BMW M Performance Accessories and in recent years I have also asked for written proof to confirm that they have noted the modifications on the policy records prior to taking out the insurance.

BMW Car Insurance has also told me that they had intended to stop providing me cover when my insurance was up for renewal in 2015 because of the modifications.

BMW Car Insurance has also told me that because of administrative errors that led to me being offered a renewal invitation each year since 2015 they decided to honour the cover.

So that I do not cause any confusion to anybody on here Allianz Insurance has recently changed its administered trading name slightly and will also be changing its location later this year, although the underwriters will remain the same the policy criteria will change for new policy holders who take out insurance after the 8th of February 2018.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Aviva told me when I asked so long as it doesn't add value to the car I could fit front lip, side ext, side stickers at no additional premium.

Evdok

Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Well a year later and they have decided to insure me again, I spent 54 minutes on the telephone to make sure that they have all the BMW extras noted on my policy.

As far as I can see there is no space on there IT system to add the extras before they send out the renewal documents.

When I called to today the call handler said that an error had been thrown up on there IT system and that someone had already checked with the underwriters that the extras were ok.

There system they have in place must only hold space for information that can only be written on the back of a match box, I had to go through the palaver of getting proof by way of email that they are happy with ALL the extras.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Glad it worked out for you. Maybe in was the dreaded word 'performance' that spooked them.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

I'm shocked that what you listed would be considered performance enhancements that would substantiate cancellation of a policy. I would consider performance parts to forced induction, suspension changes, ECU tunes and exhaust. I have to say right now I'm happy to be in a location that doesn't really give a crap to what you do to your car as long as it passes emissions. I could "mod away" to as deep as my pockets would allow...
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
I'm shocked that what you listed would be considered performance enhancements that would substantiate cancellation of a policy. I would consider performance parts to forced induction, suspension changes, ECU tunes and exhaust. I have to say right now I'm happy to be in a location that doesn't really give a crap to what you do to your car as long as it passes emissions. I could "mod away" to as deep as my pockets would allow...

This is a print screen of the email that I received last January, you wouldn't believe that you couldn’t get car Insurance through BMW for a BMW vehicle because I added BMW parts to my vehicle but that was what was happening to me.

I couldn’t believe it was happening to me so that was why I started the thread.

Appreciate 0