Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackman1886 View Post
Did you do yours yet? I was going to today, but I couldn't get a good angle on the driver's side. I pulled out the part of the wheel well, but couldn't really get my hand in there. The other side looks like it shouldn't be too hard. Any advise? I was looking for videos online demonstrating it, but couldn't find anything.
I changed them just now. It wasn't too bad, took about 20 minutes. Don't need any tools but having a small mirror will help to see what's going on inside the bulb.

I changed driver side first and even in bright daylight I could see the difference, the Philips xtreme vision is much brighter and a bit whiter than OEM.

The passenger side was about the same in terms of difficulty because I had to work with my left hand. The hardest part was pulling the wire clamp. The only tip is that the tab should point directly upward.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #24
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

BTW there is one more thing: the OEM bulb in my car were Osram 64210L long life bulbs. No wonder they are so dim.

MazdaFan
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #25
Sackman1886
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmeric View Post
Yeah, it could be a little daunting when you have a big hand. What I did was remove the two front wheels so I'll have enough working space. And yes, be careful not to touch the bulbs. I didn't use gloves because I did not want to lose my feel when inserting the bulbs. You could easily lose your grip on the bulb when navigating your hand into that tight compartment.

What really worked for me was using my pointy and middle fingers to hold and position the bulb. I practiced removing/installing using the factory bulb. Once you get the feel of it, then you'll know it's time to put in the new bulb. And when everything's said and done, you might end up with a few scrapes or bruises on your hand.
Ya, I have a big hand, so it was a bit tight. You may be on to it with removing the tire for more space. My wrist was right up against it. I may have to try that. It could also have been me being a chicken about it!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #26
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Is it possible to up the wattage of the incandescent bulbs (say to 100w) and run them thru' relays to avoid the voltage drop from the steering wheel? Or are the lights already on relays, or would it throw fault codes?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #27
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
It's all on relays. But that relay may not be good for that extra current. Same with the harness to the bulb. It may work for awhile. It may catch fire.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
you can open up the lights and install projectors with a built in angel eye look...Google is your friend...There have been some threads on this on some other sights...

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Yea...some people says its "illegal' etc. but so is speeding, rolling thru right on red lights and who knows what else...I've never heard of anyone being arrested for having a xenon headlight or bulb in a non "factory equiped car...but you know the disclaimer..."for off road use..."
I've done three retrofit source headlights... all are awesome, but unless you're a true pro, they do not age well. Sealing it, no finger prints, condensation, aiming, it can be very hard and frustrating... and its fake versions of the real thing. Unless its adaptive, just enjoy the cheap bulb replacements you can have.

And whatever you do, DO NOT install xenon's in your stock halogens. The most ghetto thing in the world. And its illegal.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #29
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I did some night driving on mountain roads on my way to Mammoth last weekend. The lights (Philips xtreme vision) were better than OEM but I still wanted them aim a bit higher. I will make some adjustment to the light level, I think the factory adjustment is just too low.
Appreciate 0