XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
henryw
Rep
Drives: e84 sdrive

Lease/Finance

I know it's an old question but I would love to hear what you guys think.

I ordered my x1 sdrive about three weeks ago and it will be arriving soon. My initial thought is to keep it until it dies. However, reliability and maintenance cost would definitely be a big issue after warranty.

Since we have quite a few of x1 owners here. Can you guys share your thought? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryw View Post
I

I ordered my x1 sdrive about three weeks ago and it will be arriving soon. My initial thought is to keep it until it dies. However, reliability and maintenance cost would definitely be a big issue after warranty.
I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago too.
I don't know which is right or wrong, but I'm planning to keep this car for 10+ years, and my closest dealer is 8 hours away.
So I'm not worried about maintenance, reliability. I can do the small stuff after warranty, and anything major, I'll just pay.
I'm guessing/hoping this is still better than having a monthly payment for ever. From my understanding, its better to lease if you want another newer car after the lease.
      02-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

With the high residuals and subsidized leasing BMW offers, I always lease. I never want to continue driving a car by the time it is paid off and selling a used car is a total pain.

But, obviously everyone's personal financial situation will dictate what they do.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryw
I know it's an old question but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Since we have quite a few of x1 owners here. Can you guys share your thought? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Leasing is great if you want a new car every two or three years.

But, you really don't want a BMW outside of a warranty. Now, you can get the extended warranty.

So, if it will take you six years to drive 100,000 miles, then it might make sense to roll the dice on the last four years. (Own the car with no warranty left).

But, the x1 is unique in that your x1 will be one of the first potential x1 vehicles available for resale in the used market (in the USA) in two or three years from now. That's a once in a lifetime opportunity to resell your low milage x1 there years from now at a great price. But, there are risks..like you could get into an accident and that could hurt the resale.

So, leasing is a safe bet. Plus, they have good lease deals on the x1.
Appreciate 0