XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
henryw
Rep
Drives: e84 sdrive

Tires for M Sport 18"

On the standard and optional equipment list(page 2 on the attached pdf), it states:
'Double Spoke (Style 355M) 18 x 8.0 front, 18 x 9.0 rear light alloy wheels, 225/45 front, 255/40 rear run-flat1 performance tires' for M sport line.

However, mine comes with 18 x 8.0, 225/45 all season for both front and rear tires, which I believe are the standard tires for the Sport line/X line.

So can anyone with M sport and 18" share what you get? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E84_DOT_FINAL (1).pdf (1.76 MB, 672 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryw View Post
On the standard and optional equipment list(page 2 on the attached pdf), it states:
'Double Spoke (Style 355M) 18 x 8.0 front, 18 x 9.0 rear light alloy wheels, 225/45 front, 255/40 rear run-flat1 performance tires' for M sport line.

However, mine comes with 18 x 8.0, 225/45 all season for both front and rear tires, which I believe are the standard tires for the Sport line/X line.

So can anyone with M sport and 18" share what you get? Thanks.
I think there's a choice on the order form, and that back in December it switched from defaulting to staggered summer tires to defaulting to all seasons.

I got staggered tyres - crappy V rated instead of W or Y rated Pirelli P7s, but still staggered.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

The 18" summer tire option gets you the staggered setup. Opting for all-seasons deletes the staggered wheel setup and results in same fitment front and rear. As Grovsnus stated, M Sports were initially only available with staggered summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
henryw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
The 18" summer tire option gets you the staggered setup. Opting for all-seasons deletes the staggered wheel setup and results in same fitment front and rear. As Grovsnus stated, M Sports were initially only available with staggered summer tires.
That's exactly what I thought. On the list, it says performance tires for M sport are standard. I assume M sport should come with summer tires unless someone opt for all season. I didn't pay attention until recently.

So I emailed my sales guy and he replied me back saying the all seasons are better and is a $600 options blah blah blah. I didn't bother to argue with him although that is totally BS to me. Why can't BMW just get our orders right??!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

18s with summer tires is a no-cost option:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
As of December production the M Sport Line of the E84 X1 will experience following adjustments:

1) M Sport Line – available with all-season tires
  • Standard: Option 2MY 18" M light alloy wheel (Style 355M) with A/S tires (NEW)
  • Alternative I: Option 2PD 18" M light alloy wheel (Style 355M) with performance tires (+$0)
  • Alternative II: Option 2MP 19" M light alloy wheel (Style 225M) with performance tires (+$600)

2) M Sport Line – Standard with Paddle shifters (7XA)
  • Standard: Option 7XA M Sports Leather Steering wheel with paddle shifters (NEW)
  • Alternative: Option 710 M Sport Leather Steering wheel (+$0)
  • Standard: Option 2MY 18" with A/S tires 225/45/18 front & rear
  • Alternative I: Option 2PD 18" with performance tires 225/45/18 front & 255/40/18 rear
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep

The 2014 ordering guide was printed in error showing staggered fitment for the A/S tire option for the M Sport package. According to Tire Rack, there are no staggered A/S run-flat fitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xact View Post
I did intentionally order my X1 with the all-season tire option and was prepared to deal with the resulting compromise in summer handling and winter traction performance. (I've had cars with dedicated summer/winter tires before and I am very familiar with the benefits of each.)

So... when I ordered (shortly after Christmas), I quadruple-checked with my SA to ensure that my X1 was indeed properly configured with the recently-added "2MY" all-season tire option. (Same with the "7XA" paddle-shift option that had been problematic for others in the past.)

However since the "2MY" option was poorly documented and information on it was scarce, I did not know that ordering "2MY" meant I would be receiving a square tire setup instead of staggered. By the time this thread (nospam's post on 1/19) alerted me to the fact that I would likely get four identical wheels/tires, my X1 was already built.

Upon taking delivery, I showed my SA the 2014 "2MY" spec sheet that shows an all-season, yet staggered setup. However, he thinks this is simply an error as M Sport packages on other models generally include a square setup when spec'ed with all-season tires.

Although I absolutely love my X1 overall so far, I am fairly annoyed with how how this played out. This is the first BMW I've ordered/owned and I am not impressed at all with their shifting, ambiguous spec list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem
I stand corrected. I very much like the look of the staggered setup and was glad to see in two pricing guides for the 2014 X1 M Sport that the staggered setup with available with either the performance tires or the all season tires, I went with the all season. Today I received an email from BMW stating that the guide was printed in error and they are making corrections. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. The car is at the German port awaiting a vessel but it is not what I ordered. I hate to start over but really do not see an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
henryw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
18s with summer tires is a no-cost option:

• Standard: Option 2MY 18" with A/S tires 225/45/18 front & rear
  • Alternative I: Option 2PD 18" with performance tires 225/45/18 front & 255/40/18 rear
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that and I used to think that the performance tires are standard on M sport line. If my SA told me that by the time I ordered, I would def. go for the performance tires. I do like the staggered setup. Anyway, now is just too late. Leason learned.

Last edited by henryw; 04-03-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Anyway, now is just too late.
You can have more than one set. Given that you live in San Francisco, I would think that you could buy a set of summer wheels/tires for most of the year, and use all season tires for what passes for winter, or trips to the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
henryw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
You can have more than one set. Given that you live in San Francisco, I would think that you could buy a set of summer wheels/tires for most of the year, and use all season tires for what passes for winter, or trips to the mountains.
Yea now I am planning to put non RFTs on after my car breaks in. Will it be a problem if the front are RFT and the rear are non RFT?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yea now I am planning to put non RFTs on after my car breaks in. Will it be a problem if the front are RFT and the rear are non RFT?
Not recommended. All four tires should be the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

be happy that they are not staggered, otherwise you will need a second pair of wheels. Buy a nice set of all seasons and you are set. I just ordered my 355 non staggered and I will probably buy 4 Nokian WRG2 and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 0