Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
kdutta1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

X1 ipod interface retrofit

Hi

I'm sure this may have been covered elsewhere, but here goes.

I am buying a 2010 X1 from a dealer with the basic business radio, and would like to install a retrofit Ipod interface so I can use the multifunction steering wheel to control an iphone. For some reason, the X1's standard radio seems to be incompatible with most of the aftermarket adaptors available (connects2, dice etc). does anyone know why that is, what is so unique about this system that it doesn't work with the adaptors?

And more importantly, does anyone know of a solution that works? I don't particularly want to install a parrot, i would have thought there would be a way to connect a lead to the cd changer socket at the back of the head unit.

Anyway would appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Contact a few car audio dealers and they'll have something to fit. Last time I looked into it the system hooked up to the CD multi changer and you could control some (but not all) iPod functions from the steering wheel.

It just seemed too 'bodged' when I started asking questions, so decided not to do it.

As for controlling the iPhone... think again. I've got a parrot, but as far as I know there's no system that allows you to use the steering wheel buttons, unless you've got iDrive with the Bluetooth interface.

Sorry.

J.
Appreciate 0