Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

^^^
Yeah, but before you do that, do test drive other compact SUV's. I gave you a long list. Otherwise, you'll never appreciate the X1 in any of its iterations.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why not use the M for bikes? Unless you have an E93, you have the little flaps in the roof that the OEM or Thule rack will bolt right into, without touching the paint/carbon. I used my M Coupe as a bike schlepper for a dozen great years.

man, you have guts. I like biking and I even have a BMW bike but I am afraid to use that system because I might scratch the car. So I am not taking it with me.
I love too much my cars too risk scratching the door...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #47
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
^^^
Yeah, but before you do that, do test drive other compact SUV's. I gave you a long list. Otherwise, you'll never appreciate the X1 in any of its iterations.
I completely agree, and thank you for the comprehensive comparison list.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #48
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why not use the M for bikes? Unless you have an E93, you have the little flaps in the roof that the OEM or Thule rack will bolt right into, without touching the paint/carbon. I used my M Coupe as a bike schlepper for a dozen great years.

man, you have guts. I like biking and I even have a BMW bike but I am afraid to use that system because I might scratch the car. So I am not taking it with me.
I love too much my cars too risk scratching the door...
I also struggle with this. So far I just put my road bike in the back with the seats down and protective blanket in place. Ideally I will have a SAV or wagon with a roof rack for my DD and general beater and keep my M for weekends and track days.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I guess I shouldn't mention that I also used a basket for track wheels and tires? Like I said, the rack sits down in the rain rails, underneath the cover and doesn't touch any exposed paint. Provided you have a good system to not crash into your garage (I use a folding chair that I leave in my spot so I won't pull in) it's certainly less wear and tear than putting stuff inside the car. But whatever works for you.

The one thing that I didn't like about that setup was how much it impacted highway mileage. The M Coupe had a 14 gallon tank and would get under 20 mpg with two bikes on the roof, making longer trips really slow, with lots of fill ups and causing some to be in really small towns where 91/93 octane was hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
20MPG! I wish I coulda got that kind of mileage in my old 2010 Ranger. I was luck to get 16, hence why I'm so happy with my 28i.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #51
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I have both: E46 M3 & X1 2.8i Xdrive. Arguably E46 M can be thought as more "raw" than E9x M. And I'm definitely one of those people who prefer older BMWs that focused more on driving dynamics (also arguable, but just trying to convey where I stand).

That said, I've never seen another car that can do everything so well as the X1 does, including good handling, surprisingly impressive drivetrain, ride comfort, luxury features, wagon utility, and AWD versatility. X3 handled like a boat, and X5 was too hefty. I even drove the F30 and F10 with the "sport line" or whatever they call it, but both of these didn't quite have it either. The ONLY complaints I have are the annoying start/stop and cargo area being just a tad bit too short.

Yes, the handling isn't quite the M, but when you take the "track performance" goggles off and look for a great handling yet comfortable daily driver, I don't think there's anything else better. (Besides, what does it even mean to be M nowadays? I digress...)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #52
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

I currently have a Mineral Grey x1 x28i loaner with sport line, leather (with contrast stitching), cold weather package, and ultimate package while my 1M is having a sensor swapped out. Unlike the OP I am super impressed with the x1 and think it may be the ultimate daily driver. It is quick, handles excellently, rides comfortably, and seems to get reasonable gas mileage. The Mineral Gray with piano black interior and exterior fittings also looks very good (not crazy about the non HID lights - not sure how a $42k car doesn't have HiDs standard). Not to mention the x1 sacrifices nothing in practicality. Also, the start/stop seems to be disabled by default in this x1.

This loaner is miles better than a standard x1 that I had during a previous service. I don't know if the sports line has a different suspension or steering rack but to me it feels much different. The trim plus the contrast stitching are a "free equivalent" of what some people drool over on BmW individual threads

The only thing over than the lack of HIDs that I don't like is the heavy steering while parking.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #53
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The sportline suspension is the same as the base model, the rack may be different depending if your past loaner was an sDrive or xDrive. xDrive has hydraulic p/s while sDrive gets the electro rack.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #54
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Hi M3Carbon,

At this time, you owe it to yourself to go outside the brand. Please test-drive a bunch of vehicles in the same class category: Acura RDX, Infiniti EX, Volvo XC60, VW Tiguan, Audi Q5, Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback, Mini Countryman and even the BMW X3. Then come back to the X1 again. Many of these vehicles come standard with AWD while the basic X1 is RWD. Keep that in mind and try to stick to paved roads for fair driving dynamics. I would not be surprised that, even with the most basic RWD X1, that you will change your recent opinion. Also, try the different iterations with different seats, engines, steering (try electric first to compare with other brands), xDrive, etc.

So many magazine/blog reviewers (well, except maybe Consumer Reports) can't be wrong about this vehicle. The X1 offers the most fun while still being utilitarian and the pricing isn't terrible.

I did drive the Infinity, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan ,Audi and the Range Rover Evoke... Always came back to the X1 X28i...

HA HA then drove the 35i Msport...Thats what in the garage. Fun weekend car that we will give to my daughter when she's off to school in a few years

Been a SCCA weekend driver for many years (many years ago now...) and started in Formula Fords... The X1 is by far the best handling of the bunch... A few features hear and there could be better, but from a drivers seat POV, well balanced and fun...after all that is what is most important... fun to drive
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #55
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

OP, location? You are welcome to test drive my 35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #56
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Here's my situation.... I always owned sports cars. I've had a couple of BMWs in the past, Acura NSX, Mitsubishi 3000GT, etc.

I suffered a back injury a couple of years ago, and I just cannot get comfortable in a car with a low seating position anymore. I need that higher up "command style" seating position or else I start to experience pain after about 20 minutes of driving. I finally got tired of stopping every half hour to stretch my back on longer trips, so decided I need an SUV.

What I was looking for is a vehicle with that high seating position, but with the driving ability of a sports car, if such a thing is possible to find. And as long as I was going to get an SUV, I figured why not get one with AWD so I can drive in the winter weather we get around here.

So over the past few months I have driven every small SUV out there. Of the cheaper ones, the Ford Escape and Mazda CX5 are the best, but even both of them were a little larger than what I wanted. The perfect car IMO was the Range Rover Evoque -- I love this vehicle, but it's overpriced. With the same equipment, it's priced about $6-7k higher than the X1.

In the end I could not find a single car that came close to the X1 in terms of the fun to drive factor, and still have a comfortable seating position for me, unless I spent considerably more money. So I placed my order an X1 last week.

Yes, it's not going to drive like an M3. But it will drive better than anything else that is an SUV and is in the same price range. If you don't need an SUV, then maybe you should look at a 3 series sedan, as they are similar in price and probably a little sportier in terms of handling. But you won't get that higher up seating position, which is what I needed. If you are not in a rush, then maybe wait until next year and check out the Mercedes GLA... It looks like a very nice vehicle, but I just did not want to wait any longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #57
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

To ANYBODY OUT THERE who says any thing negative about the bmw x1 35i m sport doesn't own one or hasn't driven one. Its totally different from the 4cly and non m sport 6. First bmw built this suv 35i m sport for enthuse's as a blank sheet to due as you wish very good core parts at a good price. They knew there were guys who liked the m3 but it cost to much, TO SLOW FOR THE MONEY, and is to flashy, scared i will get a scratch on it in the parking lot. I owned an m3 i know. The m1 was great kind of small toyish way over priced.

Which leads us back to the x1 35i m sport capable of makeing 500hp out handling a stock m3. In bad weather or in the cold blow away all most every sports car out there. Oh by the way has a great hatch feature and could carry stuff on top if needed, with 25 -30 mpg.
Do all this and look bad ASS and save ten's of thousands. PARA RAN 12.5 WITH MINOR MODS NUFF SAID
      11-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #58
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
To ANYBODY OUT THERE who says any thing negative about the bmw x1 35i m sport doesn't own one or hasn't driven one. Its totally different from the 4cly and non m sport 6. First bmw built this suv 35i m sport for enthuse's as a blank sheet to due as you wish very good core parts at a good price. They knew there were guys who liked the m3 but it cost to much, TO SLOW FOR THE MONEY, and is to flashy, scared i will get a scratch on it in the parking lot. I owned an m3 i know. The m1 was great kind of small toyish way over priced.

Which leads us back to the x1 35i m sport capable of makeing 500hp out handling a stock m3. In bad weather or in the cold blow away all most every sports car out there. Oh by the way has a great hatch feature and could carry stuff on top if needed, with 25 -30 mpg.
Do all this and look bad ASS and save ten's of thousands. PARA RAN 12.5 WITH MINOR MODS NUFF SAID
I love the X1 but in order to out-handle a M3 you would have to dump TONS of money into the car. You would need the KW V3 properly tuned, new wheels, tires, bushings, sway bars, camber plates, and to put the car on a 300lb diet. Is it possible? Maybe. But it will cost 7k+.

The M3, even with bolt-ons, is definitely slower in a straight line than a bolt-on X1 (as I've proven), but it is in a different class for handling.

However, what the X1 35i M Sport is, is the absolute best stock handling SUV/crossover on the market, including the Cayenne. And that's impressive in and of itself, especially when combined with the ability to run 1/4 mile times equivalent to the Cayenne Turbo for under 1k in mods.

The X1 is just a lifted 335 e91 xdrive wagon with a better, more sportier suspension, so all of the same praises/criticisms/comparisons apply.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 11-06-2013 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #59
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

Hi Para Wait Till You Drive A Bmw X1 35i M Sport With Coilovers Such As Kw And Balanced Out And Perfect Camber And Toe You Will Think Differantly. Oh Did You Get The M Badges Yet
      11-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #60
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

I have found that those with an M car, unless they are well trained drivers, have great roads and track their car often are more "wannabe" drivers that will never push their car to its limits...

I would venture that most people, unless at a track or closed course, never get to experience the true performance of their "performance cars."

Truth be told, they want to say they have the performance capabilities, but don't fully utilize them. They will not risk their $80-90K cars to the performance risk...

This is why I like my X1 3.5i Msport... I know I will never really push it to its full capabilities, but I can get close.for a lot less. To really drive and appreciate an M car, best to get a E46 or E90 with a few scrapes of paint and a few rough edges here and there and truly drive the car like you stole it. They you will get a better feel for the performance capabilities
Appreciate 0