XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Rear door rumble / Fifth door rattle (5th door)

Hi,

Does anybody experience annoying rattling coming from the rear door? Sometimes it's so annoying that it feels as if you are driving Lada and not the BMW.

Yours,
E.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Hi EH,

Are you sure its the door and not something in the boot perhaps. I had a rattle a few months ago until I realised its the snow chains I left in the cubby under the boot floor
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi EH,

Are you sure its the door and not something in the boot perhaps. I had a rattle a few months ago until I realised its the snow chains I left in the cubby under the boot floor
Unfortunately, that's the door or door's glass. The only thing I have in the luggage is first-aid kit and the snow wiper. Seems like the door's lock does not fit well sometimes leaving the door semi-closed.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Rear door not... just passenger door... (not resolved yet)!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Oh, that passenger door. That's a mess. Here's a quick test for you.
With your doors locked and the Engine working push the Close button to unlock the doors and get the passenger able to open the door. Drive until the door locked will automatically trigger (your speed should be greater than 20 kmph). Stop the car and let the passenger leave the car. Leave the car and try locking it. Voila, the passenger's door is unlocked.
I don't know but it sometimes works for me...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Hadron View Post
Unfortunately, that's the door or door's glass. The only thing I have in the luggage is first-aid kit and the snow wiper. Seems like the door's lock does not fit well sometimes leaving the door semi-closed.
Have a look at the two rubber stops inside the rear door frame. Check to see whether they are loose. It may also be an idea to screw them out slightly to ensure a firmer fit. Also check to see whether your number plate is not loose.

I know these things can be a real pain to find. I have even had someone drive me around while I lay in my previous cars boot to find the rattle (turned out to be a loose wire in the tailgate).
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Thanks! Good idea, worth checking, eh!

If I weren't in Russia, I probably would have checked it with the dealer, but for now there was NO single problem with my X1 that I was able to fix by addressing local dealership.
Every frigging thing I had to solve by directly addressing Munich!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Number plates on a tailgate can be a pain for rattles ... I purchased some brackets for my Euro Style plates which hold the plates solidly in place and prevent rattles and rubbing against the paintwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
Number plates on a tailgate can be a pain for rattles ... I purchased some brackets for my Euro Style plates which hold the plates solidly in place and prevent rattles and rubbing against the paintwork.
Could be it. I checked the plate and well it does not sit firmly. But that rattling it too loud --- it sounds as if there's been a thunderclap near the car that made the class in windows rattle. Extremely annoying.

Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

I had this problem and they had to adjust the book lock as it had become loose it maybe an idea to check the lock itself and ensure it is firmly fixed and as Mario said make sure the rubber stops are coming out far enough
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Thanks Alex, I'll check it. Maybe, if I get enough time, I'll visit dealer in Finland and have them check the door. Local service drives me mad, they're just either incompetent or goofing you saying an absolute nonsense like that BMW does not have the kick-down more, that you have to visit service even if the board computer does not tell you to do so, airbrains.
Appreciate 0