XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Bloomberg: Get Ready for Freeways That Ban Human Drivers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...s-off-the-road

[i]New rules of the road for robot cars coming out of Washington this week could lead to the eventual extinction of one of the defining archetypes of the past century: the human driver.

Regulators are accelerating the shift with new rules that will provide a path for going fully driverless by removing the requirement that a human serve as a backup.

"In city centers, you dont even want non-automated vehicles; they would just ruin the whole point of why you have a smart city" said Schondorf, a former engineer at Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV.
      09-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Bloomberg: Get Ready for Freeways That Ban Human Drivers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...s-off-the-road

[i]New rules of the road for robot cars coming out of Washington this week could lead to the eventual extinction of one of the defining archetypes of the past century: the human driver.

Regulators are accelerating the shift with new rules that will provide a path for going fully driverless by removing the requirement that a human serve as a backup.

"In city centers, you don™t even want non-automated vehicles; they would just ruin the whole point of why you have a smart city,” said Schondorf, a former engineer at Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV.
With the average age of cars on the road at around 10 years old and not one car that can be trusted to drive itself I am not too worried about it. First you would need virtually all cars to have system that can drive themselves (and these older cars still working as designed), then you could consider it. By the time this matters I will probably need it anyway.
      09-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Can l progam to drive like i do in my bmw?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:52 PM   #4
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Can l progam to drive like i do in my bmw?
A "drive it like you stole it" mode, I like it.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The central quote of the story:

The capabilities of these systems are much less than people may think," said Jake Fisher, director of auto testing at Consumer Reports magazine. The most difficult thing for a self-driving vehicle to do is to deal with humans, because humans tend to be unpredictable.

The only way autonomous cars will work is if they are all controlled by local central ground traffic control system managed by the Government. How many people took a crap in their pants when they thought the NSA was monitoring their phone calls? Now these same people are going to accept the Government knowing where they are going at all times?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Not going to happen in our lifetimes. At least not nationwide. Won't happen until gas runs out, which also won't happen in our lifetimes. End thread.