XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-19-2024, 05:41 AM   #1
PhilER
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535d, BMW E84 X1

E84 X1 Battery charging / changing

My wife's E84 X1 has been struggling to start this week after some cold nights.

I connected a battery charger at the engine bay terminals, and the charger said that the battery was at 100% charged, and the charger went in to "maintain" mode.
I was a bit suspicious, so I went to the boot and connected the charger there (not plugged in to charge) and it said the battery was only at 40%

Any ideas what's going on with that?

What is the correct process to disconnect the battery (so I can check it's condition and charge it while it is out of the car), and then reconnect either the existing battery or a replacement?

I know that I'll have to register it if it's a new battery.

I've heard that not following the correct process can result in the FRM3 Footwell Module software being corrupted during battery changing, which will cost to have the FRM software re-flashed, so I'd like to avoid that!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:22 PM   #2
VacMiller
United_States
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 N55

Hey man - planning to tackle my battery switch this weekend using a YouTube DIY and BimmerLink to register the battery.

I grabbed a Duracell (deka/East Penn) 80Ah 94R AGM from Batteries Plus.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:07 AM   #3
VacMiller
United_States
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 N55

Size 94R battery went in seamlessly, pictures attached for comparison of original and new battery for anyone doing this DIY.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 05:39 PM   #4
808tileguy
Rep
Drives: 1-335i 1-X1 M X5m X5 50i X5 35

Cool Battery replacement Coding and Reg requirements needed?

Aloha

I have a 2014 x1 35i M Sport with 40,100 miles on her.

When starting the car all the lights die for a second before starting. Starts almost every 1st try but since this is the wife's car I want to replace the battery. I have had a lot Bmw through out my life. currently I have
2008 335i
2012 x5 50i
2013 x5m
2011 x5 35i

and of course the Baby X1.SIDE NOTE: two more and id have one for every day of the week

I think i replaced the battery on all of my current fleet and I have never coded any of them ....

I cant think of any immediate issues , Maybe there is long term ones... but im a little skeptical on the whole registering and coding requirements

any thoughts , experience s , comments or even a educational bash or two is greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0