Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-31-2023, 07:04 PM   #1
gJesus_1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 N55

E84 N55 Coolant Dump Need Help!

Hello all Im in desperate need of help my current situation is that I just replaced my radiator on my E84 N55 and within a week it has dumped the coolant twice I noticed that when the car cools down and I add coolant we cannot detect a leak cooling system is pressurized. I got a Murray radiator that all they had in stock one thing I did notice is that I have an extra drain plug. By any chance do y'all think I have the incorrect drain plug installed? I tried calling OReillys couldn't get anything out of them. Im stressing out and help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:07 PM   #2
gJesus_1911
United_States
Rep

Any input or any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #3
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

I'd guess one of the quick disconnects that was removed for the new radiator popped off.
      06-01-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Who did the work?

Do you have any ability to get under the car?

Have you checked hoses under the hood?
      06-02-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
gJesus_1911
United_States
Rep

Yes after it dumped the coolant I pressure tested it and it holds pressure no pressure loss. I have added water and drive it a bit didn’t spill the coolant, I took it to a local shop yesterday where they are replacing a hose from the radiator however the tech said that is shouldn’t dump the coolant the way it did it. I’m currently waiting on a response from the shop the car is at awaiting if the hose was replaced and tested.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 09:26 AM   #6
RandyM4A1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gJesus_1911 View Post
Hello all Im in desperate need of help my current situation is that I just replaced my radiator on my E84 N55 and within a week it has dumped the coolant twice I noticed that when the car cools down and I add coolant we cannot detect a leak cooling system is pressurized. I got a Murray radiator that all they had in stock one thing I did notice is that I have an extra drain plug. By any chance do y'all think I have the incorrect drain plug installed? I tried calling OReillys couldn't get anything out of them. Im stressing out and help is appreciated.
I have the same car X1 N55 ! the coolant leaks like hell, previous owner and BMW dealerships couldn't figured out why after Radiator/hoses replacement and the coolant still leaking, "coolant reservoir" has no cracks or sign of leaking.

When i bought the car, me and dealer signed an agreement, if i find out the problems they will pay for the parts, so i spent 2 days and found out the leak was from "coolant reservoir and the Cap".
- In the middle of the coolant reservoir bottle, BMW factory did not seal it properly, it will crack in a period of time especially if we lived in Cold Weather like Canada or US East coast.
- The leaks only happen when it has pressure, which means ONLY when you drive the car, you won't see the leaking when you stop the car doesn't matter how much Coolant you have filled, it won't leak when the car stopped !

So buy the new bmw coolant reservoir for your car and replace them, take it easy there is a sensor at the bottom of the bottle to check your coolant level, don't break it, take the sensor connector out first. Hope this helps, good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

The seam of the top part of the reservoir is also known to leak. It's on the underside of the lip so it isn't evident and only leaks when the system is under pressure but you'll see trace ounta of coolant if you run a towel/rag along it. You will also see trqces of coolant underneath the tank, running down the panel. It's sneaky.
      06-19-2023, 11:00 PM   #8
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

Same situation/solution for me, as the others. It was my reservoir at the plastic weld/seam. I even tried to run some epoxy around it, and under the lip made by the top portion, and it didn't hold. Bought a new reservoir, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 11:06 PM   #9
gJesus_1911
United_States
Rep

Never really touched on this topic however it happened once more and it was the drain plug on radiator. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0