Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #45
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1
Sometimes I have to idle to run AC and survive 100+ deg heat while my wife hits the store.

My gauge shows gas consumption of .38 gallons per hour.

My math shows savings on a 1 minute stop light and taking the 7 sec break even point is:

$ 0.02 or 2 cents for a minute stop light (assuming my 91 oct gas of $3.65)
Nice! How do you get the gallons per hour usage info? Never seen that before. That number is lower than I'd guess, but I believe it.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #46
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
By the time your foot make it from the brake to the gas pedal the engine is already started.
You're making an assumption there. When I flip my foot off the brake pedal, the engine is already revving. A tenth of a second after the light turns green, I'm rolling. And while the engine start is fast, it takes longer than that.

Or, let's put it this way: What would the purpose of having an on/off button be if it did not affect performance at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #47
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Even in your scenario (apparently you are always the first at a stoplight and never have cars in front of you), I could still be neck and neck with you while using ASS. This is because I am an attentive driver: I pay attention to other cars around me and the lights for cross traffic at the intersection, and thusly, by the time my light turns green, my car has already been started, and engaged in gear (which, you know, takes less than a second) because i have anticipated the light changing. It's really not too hard, and is something I've long practiced before having ASS.
You must live in a far more traffic congested area than I do. Yes, I'm often the first and only car at red lights. That also means there aren't any cues telling how long it is until a green light (other than if you can see the light in the crossing direction turn yellow, but you can't always trust that either, if there are turn lanes). With the sensor plates, it'll likely only take a few seconds at most before it turns green, and for really short stops, ASS won't save you any gas. (And with half the sensor plates broken or miscalibrated, it also often means rolling forward to trigger a green light, but that's another issue.)

Anyhow, feel free to use ASS and anything else. But if you delay in getting rolling, people here aren't afraid of high-beaming you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #48
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Nice! How do you get the gallons per hour usage info? Never seen that before. That number is lower than I'd guess, but I believe it.
I use a scngauge II through the obi port.

It's amazing what you can learn: water temp varies higher if you cruise to keep up efficiency, boost is about 18 psi for a few seconds then down to 12psi until cruise.

My Dodge pu with 4.7L v8 used about .68 gas at idle with ac on.

The .38 is worst with AC on.

In winter idling with no lights or other electrics it's .25 or .24gph.

That's 1.3 cents per minute! Very Very low.

BMW has shaved mpg down so low that it has to be fit to every ones driving style.

On the net people are like the 3 blind men and elephant; they are describing accurately what they are holding on to, but at different parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #49
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
You must live in a far more traffic congested area than I do. Yes, I'm often the first and only car at red lights. That also means there aren't any cues telling how long it is until a green light (other than if you can see the light in the crossing direction turn yellow, but you can't always trust that either, if there are turn lanes). With the sensor plates, it'll likely only take a few seconds at most before it turns green, and for really short stops, ASS won't save you any gas. (And with half the sensor plates broken or miscalibrated, it also often means rolling forward to trigger a green light, but that's another issue.)

Anyhow, feel free to use ASS and anything else. But if you delay in getting rolling, people here aren't afraid of high-beaming you.
It doesn't delay you at all. And your car is faster than over 95 percent of the cars out there. If you are first in line there is no way you would be holding anybody back. If you dont' want to use something that saves you money that is fine but you don't need to make up reasons.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #50
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Of course they are separate systems, captain Obvious, which is why I said "ASS and Eco PRO" and "ASS or Eco PRO". Note the words "and" and "or" which separates the two.

They have something in common in that both trade performance for reduced fuel consumption. With ASS, the engine has to start first before you can move, which impedes performance (which is why there is a button to turn it off).

The reason why I even mentioned Eco PRO (and driving like a church lady, and driving with A/C off) in a thread about ASS was because even the combination doesn't save enough fuel to make it worthwhile, so ASS on its own certainly won't. Compared to the other costs of keeping the car, the savings are negligible.

I believe that anyone who bought a BMW X1 28i/35i/25d and then looks for ways to trade driving fun for fuel economy bought the wrong car. If the ASS of a 28i was what tipped someone over into buying one, more fool them.

When you take your foot off the brake, the car starts up, increases the rpms, engages first gear and then you can start rolling. By that time, I am already halfway across the intersection with a grin on my face, enjoying how the car is so responsive.
Once again misinformation. Eco-pro decreases performance. Ass does not. Well it does decrease the performance of your a/c unit when stopped but it doesn't decrease driving peformance because you are stoppped.

As for eco-pro.. I don't like it. It decreases performance. The only reason I could see to use it if you are far from a gas station and you don't know if you have enough gas to make it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #51
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20d

Quote:
Eco Pro and ASS have nothing to do with one another. Eco Pro effects how the car drives. ASS turns off the engine when the car is not driving. Maybe you enjoy using gas to idle at a stop light for two minutes, if so, enjoy! I don't. And when the light turns green, then I do this crazy thing called taking my foot off the break, and then you and I have the exact same driving experiences, except I didn't just waste gas for two minutes. It's that simple and I can't understand why some of y'all are trying to make it more complicated.
I agree completely Scottomfg!
I think its a brilliant system!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #52
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I think the biggest problem with ASS is the fact that is takes a while to master manipulating the brake pedal to prevent the engine from stoping on demand.
Appreciate 0