XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
NeiL010204
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2015 XDRIVE 28i

Main Battery Replacement X1 - Coding and Battery Registration

Hello All,

First my apology if there's some thread related to Battery Replacement using Bimmercode.
My car started showing sign issue related to the Battery scuh as:
- Convinience Remote not working
- "The lift with a car " Logo showing dashboard
My battery is still the Original Battery,my E84 is a 2015 XDrive.
Note that all battery issue will dissapear after I drove the car longer.
I'm currently working at home for more than a year therefore not really efficient with the minimum charging level compared to my 100 mins (round trip) daily driving from home to work.
Car was due for maintenance and dealership had flag that my battery is "Aged" and needs replacement for $583.6 plus tax.

I have a bimmercode full version and the obd Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0.
I have my New Battery available as well.
Upon checking the bimmercode going to "battery" where you need to set the correct battery rating,theres a note in the bottom.
Please see attachment,
Question:
1. Battery Type if OEM and NEW is the same Battery Rating do I still need to do coding?
2. Doing a Battery Registration,is it mandatory to use Bimmerlink with a cost $31.99?
3. Is there some one that can provide me step by step process using bimmercode?

Remarks: I already like paid full version bimmercode thinking all should be available.

thanks,
Neil
Attached Images

03-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

1. Battery Type if OEM and NEW is the same Battery Rating do I still need to do coding?
-I believe the answer is it's recommended, but not necessary. Forum will say that there is some BMW algorithm that will help it last longer (possibly true since the OEM battery in my car lasted over 8+ years and I replaced it preventatively). One theory is that ECU will think it's an older battery and charge it harder possibly damaging the life of the new battery? Many people will say registration is only necessary if the battery rating of the replacement is different than OEM.

2. Doing a Battery Registration,is it mandatory to use Bimmerlink with a cost $31.99?
-not sure what your question is, I have Bimmerlink and like it. MHD also includes a function to register the battery, but it only can register the OEM battery rating and not able to code a different battery rating like Bimmerlink can. With MHD previous battery registration gets erased every time you flash a tune (more on that at the end).

3. Is there some one that can provide me step by step process using bimmercode?
-I've never used bimmercode, but I like Bimmerlink and it's got it's own battery section to register. I'm sure you can search Google or the e90post forum to see a bimmercode DIY.

MHD - from my experience, every time you flash a tune, it will erase your previous battery registration (and I'm assuming it will go back to the OEM battery rating coding). So if you have a different rated battery and MHD, I'd assume you would want to also code/register the non-oem rated battery. I could be confusing the apps, but either bimmerlink or protool apps, you can see when the battery was last registered (shows mileage). Every time I flashed a tune (stage 0, 1, 2 or back to stock) the battery registration mileage history is erased. For a while I'd re-register the battery each time I flashed and would periodically check the registration history and it still showed the mileage I last registered the battery. But once I flashed a tune, the mileage history of the last battery registration would get erased again. After over a year, I've just stopped re-registering my battery after each flash since my aftermarket battery has the same rating as the OEM.
Appreciate 1
toejam0.00
      03-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
NeiL010204
Private
Rep

Thanks solidspeer for your feedback.

I did made some initial simulation yesterday using Bimmercode,and tried to play with it but haven't made the battery change yet.
Overall:
-My New Battery is an after marker from Oreilly ,and its the same rating as the OEM which is 80Ah AGM.
-Bimmercode is not allowing me to code if I'll be using the same rating 80Ah the text "code" is grey out, but if ill change it to Ex: 90Ah the button "code" will be color blue meaning i can code.Therfore,that is clear and check.
-Now for the Battery Registration,I am seeing that I may need to purchase the Bimmerlink $31.99 to be able to make a battery registration,I believe the bimmercode has no option thus the reason they have the note on the bottom of the picture that i have posted stating i need bimmerlink for registration.

I will try to continue to search battery registration using bimmercode with other forum.

Last Question:There's currently no error in my dash board for a "battery error" ,Dealer recommends replacement as its "Aged" and again this is the original OEM battery.Is it recommend to replace now?Or Maximize the life of the battery until the battery error appear?Pros and Cons?
      03-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeiL010204 View Post
Thanks solidspeer for your feedback.

I did made some initial simulation yesterday using Bimmercode,and tried to play with it but haven't made the battery change yet.
Overall:
-My New Battery is an after marker from Oreilly ,and its the same rating as the OEM which is 80Ah AGM.
-Bimmercode is not allowing me to code if I'll be using the same rating 80Ah the text "code" is grey out, but if ill change it to Ex: 90Ah the button "code" will be color blue meaning i can code.Therfore,that is clear and check.
-Now for the Battery Registration,I am seeing that I may need to purchase the Bimmerlink $31.99 to be able to make a battery registration,I believe the bimmercode has no option thus the reason they have the note on the bottom of the picture that i have posted stating i need bimmerlink for registration.

I will try to continue to search battery registration using bimmercode with other forum.

Last Question:There's currently no error in my dash board for a "battery error" ,Dealer recommends replacement as its "Aged" and again this is the original OEM battery.Is it recommend to replace now?Or Maximize the life of the battery until the battery error appear?Pros and Cons?
On your last question, I'd guess your just on borrowed time with the "aged" battery. I have a 2013 and the battery had a 2012 date stamp on it, I had no issues with the battery, but I just decided to change it in case I was on a long road trip. I'm guessing the work from home hasn't been good for your car's battery so not sure if your battery must be changed now, or if you could milk it for another year or so. To save your battery's life, every 1-2 months you should probably have a single round-trip drive totaling 40 or so minutes.

Bimmercode & Bimmerlink are the same company I believe, so not sure if you can register the battery in bimmercode without buying bimmerlink. For peace of mind, I'd recommend getting bimmerlink to code your battery, but I'm usually skeptical about things and think you'd be ok skipping registration as long as the battery rating is the same. With Bimmerlink, you can also scan for codes and reset codes as well, so it's good to have in general if you plan to keep the car for a while. You can also see shadow codes like a failing water pump that won't give you a CEL light until the water pump is gonzo and possibly left stranded on the side of the road (worst case scenario lol).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
NeiL010204
Private
Rep

thanks solidsleeper...

Here's what I'm planning to do:
-Will be receiving a battery trickle charger
Brand/Model:NOCO Genius G26000 12V/24V 26 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer ; got it from an auction with a very cheap price,used and just hoping 100% functional
-Will trickle charge first the new battery like maintaining it in weekly basis to maintain battery health
-In parallel,will be doing trickle charging on the orignal OEM Battery to extend life
Reasons: Work from home may extend still with the next few months
No plans for any road trip etc.,weekend driving mostly are just errand drives from store like less than 5 miles
Not seeing any battery error in dash board so would like to max life
The Noco G26000 have an option to do a battery repair .just thinking my execute in case needed
I have new battery on hand and maintained in case needed

Let me know your thoughts thanks again
Neil
      03-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

looks like you'll be alright. You're 5 mile errand runs, do you reach highway speeds? how long is the round trip 15-20 mins?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #7
solhic@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 2018

Hi, how to confirm battery is dead and need to replace

My X1 2018 is in garage for almost 1 year. It is out of power. It still no any after jump from my another car or use charger.

At beginning, X1 showed power on with audio and light, but couldn't started engine when jump for another car(started engine) or use charger charging 8 hours. And when left another car or charger, no any power, no light at all.

Now showing error when using charger.

Is wrong in my working?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
NeiL010204
Private
Rep

Update 20220131: In relation to my Original Post,I just want to share my experience.I just recently service the car from the Dealership Related to Recall: 20E-A01.And as expected,the Battery Replacement recommendation plus other 4 items (Coolant Flushing,ATF,AWD,Fuel Injection).I'm still working from Home and recently had observed the convenience access is not working (Touching Door HandleP Car will unlock) and have seen the error "car lifter" indicating battery is in low charge.My car is always plugin in with a trickel charger.Overall,I did replaced with an Oreilly After Marktet Battery and purchased the Bimmerlink for the registration,upon uninstalling OEM Battery I did noticed the battery bolt terminal is not tight but not loose,installed new battery.Knowing I have a new battery ,I'm still seeing the same "car lifter" error and one case the battery error appeared in the dash.To ensure,I did torque the bolts for both positive and negative.The positive did reached torque requiments 15 N-M,the negative bolt did not and as classis I over torque and snap the bolt.I just made a DIY for some M Screw available and all are working fine.Note: I tested the OEM Battery with a Harbor Freight Tester and showed "Good" with a HIGH CCA Reading of 900A,battery was charged using tricke charger.So for others that may have encounre same issue or anyn battery related issue,please double check tighness of the terminal battery.I'll maintan my OEM as a back up assuming its still ok.